1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otto's Orange Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by saabman, Oct 14, 2015.

1. poGo

poGo Member

I love the level of innovation. Keep up the good work!

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I could go and buy the sections all ready to go but that would be too easy ;)

3. saabman

Got a bit more time on the kombi on the weekend and it wasn't too hot.

Been working on the rust spot on the corner of the roof and the subsequent rot in the frame.

Hmm damn photo bucket on the iPad is crap will post the pictures later now :(

4. saabman

the hole
    [​IMG]

the donor
    [​IMG]

the rot underneath needed a bit of attention. The roof is made up of 3 layers to get the right shape for the first layer I used a doddad to copy the shape from
    [​IMG]

and traced it onto cardboard before cutting it out of steel.

[​IMG]

Grantus likes this.
  5. saabman

The next bit has a nice compound curve and I was going to make it out of two pieces and weld them together - flat piece for the top and curve a piece for the vertical section. But then I figured I could bend a flat piece of metal to the right shape - theres nothing you cant fix with a hammer right ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

because I was just making it as I went along I didnt really have a big enough piece of steel to start with so it needs a couple of patches added but other than that it seemed to fit quiet well

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Saabman,
    If it's not a big enough piece of steel to start with....get out the peening hammer!
    Cheers

7. saabman

Yeah I was just playing around with how to do it and it came up pretty good so I just went with what I had.

I didn't want to end up with steel foil!

A neighbor a few years ago made me an anvil out of some old railway track. It had been very handy.

I have no idea if I'm doing it right - not much opportunity to learn apart from you tube since all the Tafe teaches us ESL and poetry or something.

Actually they did still have a good welding course a cOurse a couple of years ago but not motor trades.

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Great work Bernie.

I made a piece of metal to cover a gap under my gearbox in my recent conversion and I used the front of my vice as a curve along with other things to get the shape.

Amazing what you can find that is roughly the right shape and you just fudge the rest .....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Wayne murray likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You are right there Syncro27 its amazing what you can find around the yard that you can use as a dolly to beat that steel into submission.
    If that doesn't work just find a bigger hammer.o_O

10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Like what you're doing there saabman. Area that needs a bit of strength to help support the hinge of the rear cargo door. Detailed work:)

11. chuck85

chuck85 Member

Very nice work saabman

12. kool_kombi 79

kool_kombi 79 Well-Known Member

Looking good saabman, I found the best way was to do it in stages like you are doing, that main piece you have there will allow two smaller pieces to be welded onto the ends creating the full piece.

13. saabman

thanks guys.

yes breaking it down into small pieces has helped the sanity - its taking its time.

Its funny thinking back that 18 years ago this was my daily drive vehicle!

As Im getting closer to the business end Im starting to give consideration to the motive power!

I have a 2 liter EFI Motor from the camper I scrapped a few years ago Ill have to mate it up to an 1800 Box as that is all I have.

or Electric Motor is a possibility as well - a lot more expensive to implement though :(

14. saabman

Things still coming along - ballsed up the cut out and made the hole much bigger than the piece I had to go in and the horizontal piece which the roof sits on wasn't quiet level so things didn't quiet match up :oops:

So between the screw ups I've managed to get a covering of metal over the hole and the gutter lines up but with a funny dip in the roof :( along the join.

Nothing a bit of bog can't straighten out :p

If your reading this at some stage because you've seen this van for sale ( hopefully sometime after 2030) Yes there is bog in the van - not to cover nasty rust holes but just to make it look a bit smoother than it other wise would have.

My aim with this rebuild was to do as much as possible just using what I had on hand. Substituting money I would / could have spent on replacement panels for my time to attempt to make it.

Syncro27, Ninga, VZR69 and 2 others like this.
  15. VZR69

VZR69 Active Member

Haha people get so hung up on bog.
    That kindig splitty that sold for $300k had gallons of filler spread on it. Bog is just another tool that is misused to cover up rust. Shit, these days all the top hot rods with perfect 5mm panel gaps are just fibre filler built up.
    I crack up at people who say they have a bog free car, it's like being up shits creek 'its only the depth that varies.

Wayne murray likes this.
  16. saabman

My misalignment is slowly getting sorted, it hasn't taken as much bog as I thought it might so all good.

Just had another bub join our family yesterday so either my month off work will be useful and I'll get a lot done - I'm hoping that's the way it will work other wise things are just going to grind to holt :oops:

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Steel concrete trowl and a long plastic walpaper hangers ruler ;)
    Then a big longboard. And recut the seams.
    All good :)

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Isn't that
    Isn't that child abuse? :eek:

Or did you mean for the Kombi? o_O

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Definately kombi.
    Hopefuly he should be able to manage offspring with bribes and threats for a few years at least. :)

20. saabman

Bribes are only just starting to work on Otto.

Ziggy has a 18months to catch up!