1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our 79 bus resto "Bulli"

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Jim981, May 29, 2014.

1. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

At least with a kombi you can get new parts unlike some other classics where you have to do with what ever you can find at what ever price you get charged for the privilege.

2. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

Welcome Jim!!

3. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

H James,
    As Saabman says " cheap compared to others " search different web sites for the parts your chasing e.g.the bus stop , just kampers , classic Vee Dub, :rolleyes: etc etc there are plenty out there to compare prices with ! If your searching for a particular part you can always ask the friendly folk in the KC , they will no doubt be able to point you in the right direction :cool:

4. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Cheers guys. Appreciate the help. At the moment its going to be a matter of fixing one spot at a time. Will try and either get it running or fix the DS rust firstly. Dont want this getting to big too early. Well bigger than a kombi resto can get....

5. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Long time, no post. Not through lack of trying though. Had started a post, almost got to the end and deleted it all. Great work!.

Have been quite busy with the bus of late. Interior mostly empty now, all glass removed, engine out and almost stripped down. Rear twomost doors off for stirpping and repairs. Cleaned back some of the bog from the front panels to find not much really wrong there, same withcaround the windscreen and pillars.

Will try and get a decent post up soon with all of the progress pictures too. Cheers. James

6. Jim981

Jim981 Member

View attachment 22767 View attachment 22768
    View attachment 22769
    well, who would have thought it. Images upload a lot faster and easier when they are RESIZED! :lol: here are some off the long promised picturs. Mtor out and being stripped down/ cleaned. Rear doors off, all glass except doors off. Interior mostly stripped out, pass seat removed, dash out sliding door hardware stripped off. Heaps off crap inside now all gone, found an old rego sticker floating maround in it all! :cool:
    Goods: body still appears to be in good condition tnroughout, motor coming apart and cleaning up easily. Am aiming to have this all back together and running by christmas.
    Bads: time and the lack of it! The amount of grease to clean off of the engine to make me feel comfortable with it, looks like 1x whole dogleg and a pass side step to replace, and think im gunna need to flip the bust to clean the underside or remove the cargo floor to really clean all the floor/ frame/body up properly.
    Overall, still moving along. Have made a list of "recomendations" and "suggestions" for fathers day, my birthday and then christmas.

Am also getting pumped for old bar beach festival soon too. :)

7. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Just finished the final part of the engine strip down and got the crankcase split and pressure washed for the first time. My little karcher tried its best but couldn't move all the grease. Can of degreaser didn't move much more either. Will have another go later after it soaks in for a bit.
    Scored a 2l seal/ gasket set and dual carb rebuild kit for my birthday. Will also need to order front and rear seals, as they were either dry and hard or visably leaking.
    Cranks, cams, lobes look ok for now. Rings are shot, one was broken. Once the case cleaned, will start the reassembly, cleaning up as I go. Wife scored me three spark plugs BNIB from local council clean up. Bonus!

8. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Time for another update on this. Finding time where i can to make things happen here with the bus.

Positives: started sanding the body to see what is really under neath it all. No extra rust. Bunch of parts ordered for engine rebuild. Camshaft, front/ rear seals, so at least i can start the reassembly process. Have made really good use of the deagreasing bath at work. Block looks fantastic. Engine tin, fan, pistons, heads, crankshaft, have all gone through for a clean.

Negatives:Large dents to be flatened out in drivers side door. found a cracked area around the lower middle engine stud. I believe this has bodgied up by using an oversize diameter stud, with the hole drilled out. This has caused cracks and seperation in the aluminium. Will need a professional repair.
    Also found one of the bronze vale guides has dropped out of place. Was hoping to avoid a head rebuild, but not to be.

9. Jim981

Jim981 Member

10. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That's a bugger when you find faults like that - but good there had been no unexpected rust so far ;)

How did you go with cleaning etc underneath?

The 74 I've got to get started on has a fair bit of surface rust under neath. I have been contemplating just jacking one side if the buss up as far as I can - I'm bit sure though I could tip it far enough though.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

ensure that you treat metal with something like deoxidine or http://www.ppcco.com.au/por02.html and wipe off according to instructions . also plenty of rustproofing on inside sections
    enjoy :)

12. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Saabman, i gave it a top notch underneath inspection with a torch but didn't find much out of sorts under there. Being without belly plates made it so easy, but overall a very tidy bus. Am going to get the gearbox out when i get the triple square socket, and get it on a Rotisserie. Will be able to sand blast it then. dont know if it needs it, but dont plan on having this much stuff stripped off of it ever again.
    cbus- will absolutely look to putting on top notch converter and then either POR 15 or 2 pac primer. Its very hard to know what to do, everybody has an opinion and its always one or the other.
    For now, the motor takes priority. Get it done to give me a milestone....

13. Jim981

Jim981 Member

IMG_5682_resize_20141121_102523.jpg IMG_5684_resize_20141121_102524.jpg IMG_5686_resize_20141121_102526.jpg IMG_5691_resize_20141121_102526.jpg Pictures of the block with the first pressure wash

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  14. Jim981

Jim981 Member

IMG_5930_resize_20141121_102528.jpg IMG_5929_resize_20141121_102527.jpg IMG_5931_resize_20141121_102529.jpg

Pictures of the crack i have found in the stud/block and the bodgy repair

15. Jim981

Jim981 Member

My situation has a name. That name is "type 4 syndrome". I am yet another lucky winner in the type 4 lottery. Am going to start hunting around for somewhere to fix it. Might be just as easy to do then find a spare case section.

anyway, have brought home all of my parts from work from the degreaser. Found an oily residue, so i have given them a quick supercheap degreasing. Will let them all bake today in the sun and pack them away. Heat exchangers will go in next for a LONG soak. Cant believe all the crap inside of them. Dremel came out lastnight to clean up the crankcases. Looking better then before, but still have more work to do. Seized Drivers seat causing grief aswell. Am cutting out the stitches in the vynil to get me better visibility, but just think its the sliders that have seized and i need to keep soaking them to loosen the rust. Anyway, will keep pressing on and getting it done.

16. Jim981

Jim981 Member

So long again since I posted. Have pulled one of the heads down, all inside needs cleaning up, so have started making a soda blast cabinet. Will be big enough to fit all engine components into, hopefully the front seat frames as well.
    A big thank you to Rod Penrose for a whole bunch of parts I was able to get from him for the engine rebuild. Really getting back into the rebuild now. Will get some pics up soon

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Keep working at it. :)