1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our First Kombi Camping Adventure

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Iris76, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Iris76

Iris76 New Member

"Never dwell on the past" is a very timely message :cool:

Thank you....I'd love to share a Kombi moment when I make it to Adelaide:)

2. Iris76

Iris76 New Member

You're so right, Melissa. As I was receiving my $500 fine, I also had the urge to kiss the Policeman that pulled me over. It could have been so much worse. Not withstanding an accident for which we would have had no cover, if this had happened in another state....:eek: So hard, though, to let go of the frustration that I could have prevented this...if only I'd known...

I'll do what I can to get back the original plates, but if I can't, we'll just have to come up with something super cool to replace them with:lol:

3. brindleyskombi

brindleyskombi New Member

Good onya Iris ,look forward to It.:)

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Thats the spirit Dena!! I am taking the 62 to see Hyndrick tomorrow - lets see how negative he can be... :p :lol:

5. Iris76

Iris76 New Member

:lol: I've just been up to see him. He's in a rather good mood today - you might even squeeze out a positive :eek: :D

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

You must have got in early!! He wasn't so positive after I left... and I think his mum might have copped an earfull before I got there - something about some missing keys.

7. Iris76

Iris76 New Member

I'm happy to say that I've been able to contact the man who sold me the Kombi (she wasn't Iris then!) and we hope to find an answer to this soon. He is genuinely distressed that this has happened and as sorry as I am that we have lost the original plates. He honestly believed the rego was paid and the copy I have of the pink slip indicates he went through the motions. His father-in-law owned the Kombi and is very sick at the moment but they are, this weekend, scouring his paperwork to work out what went wrong. He has found a cheque butt for the payment of the rego but needs to inspect bank statements to see if it was cashed.

I feel so relieved that my instincts about him when we bought the vehicle seem to have been accurate. He has said he'll pay any outstanding charges regarding the rego and will go to the Police and take full responsibility (although I can see that as the owner the onus remains now with me on this particular score). He is doing everything he can to rectify this - I hold a small glimmer of hope now that the mistake is found to be with the RTA and that we can get the plates restored to the vehicle. We'll know more tomorrow when the paperwork is retrieved.

I still have to query, though (does anyone here work with the RTA or Police who might understand this?) how it is that as the new owner of an unregistered vehicle, I didn't get issued with renewal papers, and most importantly how it is that the RTA haven't written to me demanding the return of expired number plates? The rego was up 01Jul09 and the number plates thus expired in October, but I didn't receive anything at all to say that the vehicle now required a blue slip, the plates were no longer allowed to be displayed...nothing!

Where I accept that I wasn't vigilant in ensuring that the registration sticker on the vehicle was genuinely paid for, I am baffled that there is no systematic procedure in place by the RTA. How many other expired no. plates are out there, not being chased up? A letter, a week or two before the due expiry of the plates, would have prevented all of this :umm:

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Theres a step in the right direction.

Well done.

Cheers,

9. Royce

Royce Active Member

the very best of luck Dena. Hope it all turns out OK.

Cheers

Royce and Andrew

10. OLLIE GIRL

OLLIE GIRL New Member

love your setup for camping, even the fresh herbs are there!!!

11. Iris76

Iris76 New Member

It feels so good to chop up fresh herbs in a bush camp:D Unfortunatetly some of them didn't much like the heat in the vehicle, so we've decided to give them a proper chance at life and put them in the garden:lol: I may just stick with the hardy basil next time...

12. JEFFRO74CAMPER

JEFFRO74CAMPER New Member

Dena, inspirational. We've just got our first Kombi camper & looking forward to our first adventure.

We'll be sure to check out with the RTA, all's ok.
    As with you, the people we bought off were sincere & genuine but may have overlooked something.

Why do I hear "Herbie" theme music when I look at or travel in the kombi?? So cool. The peace signals from other motorists, may have something to do with your spare wheel cover.

Happy travels jeff

13. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

:mad: Iris, I Sympathize. I moved and had staff at my old address who were supposed to send me my rego renewal and didn't. In the meantime i put a mail redirection in place and 2 rego reminder went mysteriously missing - Was it Vicroads or Aust Post? i can't prove anything. I went to Vicroads to do a change of address and was told my car wasn't registered! Had to do get a temporary vehicle permit, a RWC, replace the windscreen, got charged a new rego plate fee despite keeping my plate. Out of pocket an extra $400+. I hadn't had the car long and didn't not the month the rego was due - my mistake, but was very disappointed to be let down by people i trusted. Luckily i didn't get caught or have an accident too. Conincidently my rego expired in July and they canceled it October. I am just grateful it didn't come off worse

Focus on the positives and enjoy your beautiful Kombi. I LOVE your Goddess mural.