1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our first T3

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Slowbrick, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

Firstly, thankyou to everyone to provided help in my other threads "Can you daily a T3" and "How much rust is too much".

Yesterday by total chance on our way up to see Les and his T3 we saw this T3 posted in Port Macquarie just as we left and decided to drop in to have a look. When we pulled up we immediately judged it and were both convinced we werent buying this one but we would look at it anyway.

The exterior was a patchwork of primer, original paint, rusty patches and sanded back paint. The lower tailgate is rotten but has been treated with rust stop. Thats where the negatives stopped and the positives started.

As I looked closer and the seller gave me a tour it started to become obvious that this person really cared about this van. He showed me the panels he has removed and replaced. He gave me a tour of every single place he has repaired and had progress photos to show me the before and after.

The best was yet to come.

He began giving me a tour of the engine bay after he removed the bed and I was blown away by what I saw. Inside was a nice clean 2.1 with every coolant hose replaced, new leads, dizzy cap, every fuel line replaced, all the wiring tidy and where it should be and not a single drop of oil leaking anywhere. He explained the heads were leaking when he bought it and had to reseal them. He showed me photos of the condition of the cylinders before and after he gave them a hone.

Underneath there is not a drop of oil leaking from the engine. There is a weep from the output seal on the trans but he explained he found that after he put the motor back in. Not sure how hard it is to replace but im going to get a workshop manual and see if I can do it at home.

He then showed me the new stainless coolant pipes he has fitted along with every hose joiner that he replaced. The exhaust has been replaced and doesnt rattle or bang anywhere and the motor sounds nice and healthy. He has started fitting it out for camping and included a roof mounted solar panel on roof racks, a house battery, a fridge and a quick bed setup that uses the standard 3 row folding seat. It has seat belts in the back and the rego papers indicate it has been engineered for the extra seats.

I took it for a drive with him and the difference between the 1.9 auto I tried in the 85 Caravelle and this 89 Transporter 2.1 manual is night and day. Its a 5 speed and has what feels like a stump puller 1st and has no problem rolling through intersections in 2nd and cruises nice at 100 in top gear. He has replaced the gear shifter bushes and the shifts feel nice and reasonably direct for a shifter that is 100 metres long hahaha. It rode very nice on the new shocks and tyres and felt like driving a small old truck but in the most pleasant way.

I was really blown away when I got back to his house after driving it. We negotiated a price and I told him I was going to be heading to Taree to look at Les's van and we got 10 minutes down the road and decided this van was our van. I phoned Les to let him know and to make sure he hadnt gone out of his way to let us view his van and he was very understanding and said "well youre the one that has to look at it so buy the one you like". We turned around, paid our money and I drove it home about an hour and half and smiled the whole way!

The plans are to set it up as a Westfalia clone inside, paint the exterior and my girlfriend will drive it everyday to work. With only 210000 original ks on the clock its more than 100000kms younger than the current Pajero we have so in a way its almost like we have a new car!

Sorry for the novel!
    20201025_155800_HDR-min-min-min.jpg
    20201025_155821_HDR-min.jpg 20201025_155809_HDR-min.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Jethro, Syncro27, Elsie 76 and 6 others like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Well done, they say that the van will find you and you have proved that to be true. No all to do is post some pics so we can see.

3. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

Thank you Phil. Your help on the phone proved instrumental to me getting a more clear view as to what I should be looking for when shopping for one of these. Nearly everything about this van made me feel comfortable and the seller had very obviously spent the time tending to the most important aspects of the van and great credit to him is deserved for the effort he has put in. We both cant wait to get it fitted out and on the road seeing new place and even seeing old places with our new friend.

David H and Barry like this.
  4. Luckyphil

Looks like a diamond in the rough. Time to start looking for a tailgate. Also the rear vision mirror on the drivers side is actually a passenger side mirror. He may have switched them around or couldn't find the correct drivers side one.

Syncro27 and Dapom like this.
  5. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

I was thinking the same thing when I started going over it. It looks rough but the important things looked to have been taken care of. Ive been looking online and it looks like a worth upgrade are the Syncro mirror or something that has the bracket that extends from the top of the door to below the window. The balljoint in these mirrors are ok but they do move a bit in the wind.

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

a bit of chamois on the ball joint works wonders tightening things up.

David H likes this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good move.
    Reliable runner by an owner who cared is good start.
    Advice from Phil will be as good as you can get.
    Painting isn't hard.
    Just takes care and effort.

If you don't come up with a rear door closer to home I have one on sunny coast.

Enjoy the ride ;)

8. Luckyphil

Hey just notice the person in the window, is that you :) The mirrors can be tightened up by the nut underneath, you will see it when you remove the mirror. Tighten a bit at a time till happy
    If camping in the van you are going to want ventilation. I have a good set of factory sliding windows $450. Also have a heavy duty rear bumper tow bar combo $100 it also acts as a rear step. IMG_2437.JPG IMG_1879.JPG IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1876.JPG

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

Didnt even think of that. Ill definitely give that a go.

We are going to be painting our HQ Pano when weve finished removing the rust so the van will be a good practice one. Neither of us want it to be pristine as it makes it a hair raising experience parking it at the shops or taking down a fire trail so good enough but still good is what we are aiming for.

Phil's advice was very good but so was everyone else's in the threads I started.

We are heading up to the border in about a month for a trip so if I dont find a tailgate then ill give you a bell and see if we cant organise something.

Cheers

cbus likes this.
  10. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

That isnt me, that is Rachael the one who will be driving it. She is very excited and wanted to be in the photo hahaha. With those windows, is it a matter of removing the seal with a bone tool and inserting the new windows in the reverse? I will ask her if she wants the sliding windows. The previous owner put a great tint job on all the windows so im not sure if she wants to have sliding windows or a pop top on the roof instead. It came with a towbar but I think its the infamous weak unit that looks like a fence post with a few pieces of steel tacked on. Looks to be in great condition but doesnt look substantial at all.

11. Luckyphil

If the existing seals are in good condition can be reused. The "rope" technique is used to reinstall. The tow bar in the pics is real heavy duty but is home made. I would happily tow my boat with it. The top which id didn't have a pic of has aluminium checker tread plate attached so can be used as a step.

12. Luckyphil

I should have mentioned that I have parted out quite a few vans so have lots of parts should you need anything.

13. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

Ok well that might be a better option instead of listing it all here. If its ok with you then we might go for a drive down your way and meet up for a meet and greet and parts purchasing. We are up in Newcastle so not far away at all.

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. Luckyphil

That's fine but best to let me know in advance what you need so I can check to see if I have it. Be good to check out your van as well and can give you some tips and advice on maintenance etc.

Syncro27, Grantus and cbus like this.
  15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations! Personally - I wouldn't muck around with the roof and would go for the sliding windows (or jalousie if you can find them!)

16. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

Ok sliding windows it is! I just got back from Bunnings with a load of supplies to start building our new cabinets. Quick question that may not have such a quick answer is atm there is a full length folding seat in the back. We are wanting to mimic the 3/4 seat setup in the Westys so as to have the full length cabinet on the drivers side. Is it possible to unpick the upholstery of the full length seat, remove the foam and wooden board, cut and shut the frame into a 3/4 and reassemble with new upholstery? Or is this frowned upon and should I buy a 3/4 seat instead of potentially ruining a full length one for someone who may want it. I havent taken a close look at the seat yet as the bed is still in there but tomorrow we will be emptying the entire setup to lay insulation and give it a good clean and the seat has been a consideration in our plans for a home made Westy.

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If you want “legal” rear seating you won’t be able to.

That said - what is it registered as now?

Guessing your r’n’r bed is a Traka (or copy) and would only be legal if it is an original installation.

Rules have changed since then

18. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

It is registered as a 2 seater but on the rego papers it says it has been modified with rear seating and has the engineers certificate number quoted. There are seatbelts on the rear seat. The seat is a full length unit made out of a vinyl or leather like covering.

I dont have a problem with going through the process of getting it compliant if that is what is needed but was concerned about hacking up a potentially good seat that someone might want.

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If it is engineered- that is valuable. I would leave it alone.

You won’t get a wood based seat engineered now.
    If you go 3/4 width seat you will need a new seat, upholstery and engineered again.

$2k plus easy

David H likes this.
  20. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

Hmm that is something I hadn't considered. Would it be the same if I were to take out the 3 seats and replace with a 2 seat rock n roll as opposed to modifying the 3 seat?

Im wondering why on the rego papers it still says its a 2 seater or is that because the information is being parsed from the VIN and the appended engineers cert number handles any reservations someone might have if they were to inspect it?

Ive had cars engineered for engine swaps before but this is the first one ive had for a seating capacity change.

I think what I will do is wait until tomorrow when we get everything out and see what we have. I dont mind having to purchase a 3/4 rock and roll seat and have it engineered if it means we can set it up how we like. The full size seat introduces too many compromises in the storage and layout that it would be worth it to get sorted once and for all.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020