1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting Concrete

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by saabman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

As some of you are a ware Im building another shed and up to sealing the floor. There is a ton of different products available for doing the job and I Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the different products. T

The manufacturers all say their product is the best and the sales people all reckon what they supply is the best.

In particular

Epoxy

Oil based paints

water based paints.

In my case the epoxy is out of the question based on cost more than anything.

I Have used a paving paint (put out by Lincoln paints a Goulburn based paint company) in the past which I cant remember if it was oil or water based :umm:which was reasonably good handled oil and hydraulic fluid but the paint thinners had a bit of a reaction.

For now Im off to acid etch the concrete....

B

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Have you looked at clear stone sealer

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Bernie, I've used Berger Jet-Pave successfully on concrete subject to fuel, oil etc. in the past.......It's what Golden Fleece used to use on all their driveways & workshops.........solvent based.
    Cheers, Mark

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Bernie,
    I know you have already ruled out epoxy. But once you price up the materials for paving paint and factor in some cost for your time.
    It might be worth getting a couple of quotes or see if you can buy it direct and apply yourself.
    It is the only thing that will last years and years for you.
    But - it is expensive.

5. cameron

cameron Member

I'm a painter and I use Berger Jet Dry Aquatread which is water based, if you prep the surface right 2 coats should do but if you've got enough 3 is always better, and don't listen to anyone at the paint shop if they try and sell you one of those silly lambswool covers (broomstick type thing), just cut in with a brush and use a roller for the rest and do it just like you would a wall.

6. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Well I used White Knight paving paint - clean up with turps. I cut in then used one of my old house painting rollers on a pole. Threw out the roller after each use. You can see the results after 3 years - seems only the rear tyre area had this lifting issue. Otherwise its been OK, and cheap....

Attached Files:

7. Kombi Kapers

Kombi Kapers Active Member

Hi Bernie,
    I etched mine then did a couple of coats of Berger Jet Dry Aquatread. Looks great but it did lift in a couple of spots under the wheels. Not sure if thats because I didn't let it dry/harden sufficiently before use, or if its a chemical reaction betweeen the tyres and paint.

Garage.jpg

John (see you at Old Bar)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have had no luck over the years with paving paint. Both types of Berger are useless. They resist oil, fuel, etc. but wet tyres stuffs it. I have also tried a few other brands of the same style of paint with no success. Epoxy is the only way. Hopefully when I move to the Southern Highlands I will be able to find a company to paint my garage floor. (It's hard enough getting competent tradesmen in Sydney)

9. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

I'm told that its the heat from warm tyres that stuffs the paint- coming in from the road when they sit, the heat is transferred to the paint and it basically melts it and it sticks to the tyres and is pulled up when the car moves next trip.Carpet pads will help but epoxy will solve it.
    Cheers

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

11. saabman

It's interesting most people are using the water based paint. Rather than the solvent base.

The lifting where the rest tires sit - I would be concerned if it was heat related - the tyres get warm but warm enough to melt the paint?? This could be an issue for me as I have inslab heating -

For me hot tyres would rarely touch it as its a workshop rather than a garage as such

John you are the only one with a Kombi with sufficient grunt to heat the tyres up ;)

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Mine was solvent based paint. Berger Jet Dry was one of them. The concrete was new/clean. Wet tyres stuffed the paint faster. The paint just flakes off and sticks to the tyres.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

As with anything.....preparation is the answer to longevity. if you acid etch the concrete before painting, make sure that you flood it with water to dilute the acid residue. Just water blasting the concrete won't rinse it well enough.
    Probably preaching to the converted but just felt the need to state the obvious......
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. saabman

They do mention in the literature for the JD not to let water sit on the painted surface. So perhaps the issue of lifting is related more to moisture between the floor and the tyres??

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Even dry tyres damages the paint although not as fast as wet tyres. I have been trying to get various oil based paints to work for 30 years without success. Once it lifts, it is near impossible to repair and you have a rough surface.

If you are driving to Sydney, call in and I'll show you.

16. saabman

so it looks like the water based one is the go.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Who makes a water based paint? Would it be fuel/oil proof?

18. saabman

There is the jet dry aqua tred range.