1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panel Clips?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by ajax, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ajax

ajax New Member

Hello,
    i was wondering if anyone knew how many Panel clips are needed when installing:
    door panel (both sides)
    sliding door panel
    opposite sliding door panel
    panels over wheel arches (Both sides)
    and kick panels (driver and passenger)
    (if there are any other panels that are needed please tell me as this is still my first resto, and it needs all new panels for roadworthy)

i am buying all of these from "TheBusStop" and am trying to find out how much i will have to pay for all of the clips.

regards Alex

2. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Give Roy a call there at the Bus Stop and he'll know.

It's a really fiddley and annoying little job fitting them and lining them up with the holes in the van. I got so fed up with it because the clips kept snapping so I ended up using tapped screws.

You will probably need one for the tailgate too. You could argue that only the front door ones are compulsory as from my understanding, there were no rear panels fitted to Kombi models, only to the microbuses

3. ajax

ajax New Member

thanks mate, i will give him a call in the morning.
    so you think i am better of not using clips or are they worth the trouble?

4. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

They probably look better as you can't see them and its a neater finish but it's a bit of a pain. Maybe see how you go with the front door panels with the clips. I have a load left over that you can have if I can find them. PM me your address and I'll post them....

5. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Guest

hi, my cards have only been in tink since last july and already the clips are and have been snapping off - not impressed - i too might get some self tappers and really fix those suckers once and for all!!!! :mad: you can get little covers to go over the screws to make them look neater too.

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

yes, even being uber careful, I am getting a 50 percent failure rate. vert average material for the design of the clips.

Adrian

7. ajax

ajax New Member

thank you all your help is much apreciated, i will give the clips a try but when/if they fail i will use self tappers.

8. Allamanda

Allamanda New Member

Hi,
    I bought the clips to use in our new door panels that I had covered with vinyl but found a few problems.
    1 The clip back shows through the vinyl and looks really ugly. You will need to have thin foam between the vinyl and the clip to hide it.
    2 If your old panels don't have the holes in them, or you don't have the old panels, it is very hard to work out where to drill the holes in the panel to put the clips in because the holes the clips go into in the door do not line up with where the holes in the panels are for the clips. The sit slightly off centre, well they did on my front door panels, didn't have the other panels.
    3 The clips I had kept breaking off the same as others have said.

In the end we have screwed the panels on and used the little button caps over the screws. We have blue door panels and bought the white button covers so looks pretty good.
    Amanda

9. Allamanda

Allamanda New Member

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of my door cards

[​IMG]

And a close up

10. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

[rant]

I also would like to add, that these clips and little black boots are crap, no two ways about it.. Anyone considering these should think again!

Caveat Emptor!!!!

[/rant]

11. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

It's not everyday Stevie gets fed up with a Volkswagen......I've seen him pull an engine out with less fuss and choice words than he used trying to put a door card on!

12. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

You could use the stainless steel cup washers like on split screens with the screws, Roy has both cup washers and screws

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

i recently purchased the pannel clips and the black rubbers they go in (so technical) from the bus stop i found i needed to purchase roughly 10 bags or so as it is always good to have some extras luckily they are very cheap. if you get the metal hook clips they simply hook onto the backside of your pannels so there is nothing showing. but i will advise once they are on they take a bit to shove them in and it is a hard pull to get them back out so make sure you replace all of them as to not have to take them off again.
    hope this help you :)

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

There are 2 sizes of the clips as I found out and the smaller ones can be used with the rubber bung plugs but the larger ones can't - quite a difference in price also with the clips.

If you had small clips and replace with larger ones then holes would have to be drilled out to fit larger ones and could damaged the clips when being pushed in and over time with vibration they can break.

Back of clips should not show through if padding has been placed between card and vinyl.

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

i think i have that problem i have large clips and bung plugs i think i will just remove the bung plugs cant be bothered buying more parts!!!

16. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

There's an article on p42 of the latest VWMA mag covering this subject written by genius trimmer Brad at Busnbug. Covers trimming doorcards and fitting them with clips.
    I spoke to Brad about this before and he uses stronger clips than the widely available ones.
    Well worth a read

17. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Shame it wasn't in last issue....