1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parts & our most preferred

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David H, Oct 10, 2019.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Cruised back from Old Bar with another KC member whom had a 3 day old coil fail:mad:. To be honest 400km from a coil should embarrass anyone:oops:. Who have you found to provide reliable mechanical /electrical parts that actually do the distance?
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

that's a hard one to answer David.
    Theres so many new parts and suppliers around an opinions on what works an what parts are crap or good .
    Have a close look at the Meyle brand, they have German written on the box but are actually made in china but built to German specs
    but are listed as German on website for sale which one would presume are made in germany .
    You have to pick parts through each supplier or ask older experienced mechanics what parts to buy.
    You basically need a good selection of spares of all the basics in your car just incase!

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

as far as coils go...i use pertronix flamethrowers

Dapom likes this.
  4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

i wouldn't go near any oil filled coil especially the GT40.

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Depends on the application, plenty of oil-filled coils did their job for many years. Also important to note that ANY brand can have the occasional dud, I think its more important to find a company that back their product and provide a 'no-fuss' replacement warranty.
    I had an Accuspark ign module die shortly after fitting it - called them up and explained what happened, they immediately sent out another one free of charge and I had no more issues after that. I'll gladly buy another one when needed...

David H, onetrackwonder and Syncro27 like this.
  6. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

My bus had a new accuspark module and coil fitted when I bought it. After 18 months of trouble shooting to try and get rid of an intermittent ignition fault I got rid of it and fitted pertronix flamethrower coil and igniter 2 module and have had no problems since. I ceremoniously burnt the accuspark parts to make sure that they could never be used again lol

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Now that's confusing & thanks for your contributions;). Not just about coils tho'. Points, disssy, filters, gaskets esp rocker etc. Where to get the good stuff?
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Dapom likes this.
  8. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Lol I guess that what you can take from this is that unfortunately sometimes it’s luck of the draw. I guess in this time of mass manufacture and many products being sold under different labels the validity of brand names may be somewhat diminished. Another example I can give is electric fuel pumps. I needed a new one for my bus and so went to an authorised Bosch dealer and bought the correct one for my bus. It died after about 6 months. I didn’t bother going back to manufacturer as I’m a ‘give them one go’ kinda guy. That pump cost me about $160. I went to repco and bought a repco brand commodore pump which fitted without mods and had the same flow rate, it cost $40. That pump has been in for a couple of years now and given me no problems.

9. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

no complaints with:
    pertronix ignition (no points) in a vw distributor;
    pertronix flamethrower coil;
    bosch plugs and leads;
    ryco filters;
    never had a problem with any gaskets (rocker covers, carbies, pushrod tubes etc.) as long as the surfaces are good;
    ernst muffler;
    lobro CV joints and boots;
    febi bilstein CV boots also held up;
    gemo accelerator and clutch cables;

have bought them from various well known places - keeping in mind that I stocked up many years ago

Barry, Dapom and David H like this.
  10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Buy OEM or German or genuine VW.

(Except plugs) I would use NGK.
    I would never ever use Ryco oil filters. I have seen too many failures.

Normally if you buy from Mick Motors or Vintage Vee Dub Supplies they usually only sell quality.

Wayne murray likes this.