1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol Gauge - Needle gone on holiday!

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by vaise, Nov 1, 2013.

1. vaise

vaise Member

Hi,

I ran out of fuel a few months - not really my fault as the gauge was reading half full. New filter, and all back on road OK, next fill up and the needle went away, i guess all the way to the right and off the scale, came back to middle and I filled up again, now I have never seen the needle since. I guess I need a replacement gauge ? It cant be the sender for this can it ?

Thanks.

2. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I am fault finding my fuel gauge at the moment, haven't seen needle for over a year. It seems the voltage stabiliser failed and drove needle so far to left that it was caught behind faceplate. I unhooked it and applied 6 volts and needle still moves. Waiting on new voltage stabiliser from jk, around $40. Will let you know how it all goes.

3. robmich

robmich Active Member

Hi Guys
    i had simmilar problems gauge had never worked replace sender then gauge then voltage stabiliser now the bloody thing just floats between empty and full doing its own thing,i bought a trip meter speedo a while back and just trip it when i fill up given up ever having a working fuel gauge
    Rob

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

If you are going to buy a new one and the price is getting around the $100 mark then put in a new one that can be programed to suit any sender.
    http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GL-90-FUELLEV-01/7/Fuel-Level-Gauge-(programmable)-(90°-Sweep)
    Speedhut is just one example. I got sick of not trusting my speedo and I wanted some other info anyway so I got one from speedhut.
    Took 2-3 weeks. Good quality gear.
    You can get cheaper too if you shop around but the look if a bit more boy racer.

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

6. vaise

vaise Member

Thanks all, I have started filling, noted the klms in my phone, then fill after 300 klms. Getting a bit of a pain though as it takes a while for me to do the 300klms. Will do some research.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Check ohm reading on sender line with a multi-meter. Can be reached at the back of the gauge. Depending on fuel level should be between 73 ohms for empty to 10 ohms at full. If so, sender is OK.