1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please,what do think problem is??

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by whoaNellie, Sep 18, 2009.

1. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

Hello peoples!
    Well after a GREAT RUN TO THE PYRENEES,kombi has been going great until today,driving from mornington to mirboo north 1 1/2 hr drive.
    Just as i were 5 kms from my final destination,kombi kind of spat it,i new it was quietly making backfire noises then started getting really loud and sluggish going up windy hills,by then was scaring the shit out of me!!!
    The noises i think were back fireing noises,i pulled over at a farm house,the owners of the farm said they could hear me coming up the hills.
    The kombi did not actually die,but have left it on side of the road over night!I hope no one vandalizes my baby!! My partner is driving up tomorrow to check out problem,and hopefully find problem!
    Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the cause??
    please please please,what is the problem?

cheers Jess. :(

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Check the elbow at bottom of left and right carby. i think one may have blown off.

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I concur, when these go, they go suddenly and cause back fires, lack of power and generally run like crap..... easy to check, if you have a vw supplier on the way, is worth grabbing a couple just in case. Even if you dont need them now, wont be too long before they get used.

4. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

Thanks guys do you think it would be safe enough for me to drive 5 kms down the road,with the backfireing??

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Just lift the engine bay lid and stick the hose back on, if you cant do that, just gently cruise on home.

6. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

Thanks gabbo,will see if i can find the hose in the morning,i usually leave kombi engine problems to my partner Rob,but i will give it ago,fingers crossed :) Its just a girl thing!!!

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

You will be fine.:)

8. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Is it back fireing out the carbs or exhaust, if it's the carbs then it might be the elbows as above but if it's the exhaust, might be a valve

9. Dan_Ling85

Dan_Ling85 Member

It sounds like what happened 2 me fathers day!!!
    Mine needs new cylinder heads...
    Not sure if that helps
    Dan

10. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

Thanx guys! got it to my friends house thankfully,and having a good going over it tomorrow :)