1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plugging in a Kombi to 240v

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Pomboy64, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted Long story but moved to Bendigo then back to Brisbane. Kombi passed safety certificate with no work needed! How about that! Anyway I’ve got a fridge and it’s all wired for 240v. Can anyone tell me where I can get a lead with the large earth pin so I can plug it in. The inlet on the Kombi has the large earth pin -15A. Is that correct?
    Cheers
    David

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Pomboy64,
    Welcome back:):):D.
    Seems you've been enjoying your bus:) & done some trouble free miles:cool:.

Large earth pin extension lead at Bunnings or most hardware stores.
    Just beware of the external size of the plug in as it may not fit into the interior surround of the bus fitting.
    I trimmed the edge off my female input lead down to fit into the bus interior surround input which is a bit of a cheat;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    KahunaKombi likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Grantus likes this.
  6. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Known as a MacGyver lead, these are a fire hazard and I believe illegal. Do what tintop said. A number of options available.

syncro likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I agree. Very illegal.

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

9. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

yeh ok apologies
    removed the comment
    I do have inbuit RCD in the Kombi with max amps cutout

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

To iterate I just trimmed the outside edge (the weather shield) off the 15 amp female end to fit into the camper 15 amp male end.
    Lead still intact in entirety except now slimmer on the female end outer to fit.:confused:
    Still legal I hope;)?
    Cheers

11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The MacGuyver leads are technically bad practice but from a functional point of view are not dangerous, as a 10 amp socket is connected to a 16 amp circuit breaker and the pins are rated to take 16 amps. The larger earth pin doesn’t change the rating of the pins, just stops you plugging it in to a 10 amp socket so you are less likely to trip the circuit. In the case of a welder or other high current device, the constant overloading of the circuit would trip the breaker which is if nothing else inconvenient, but the cabling is protected For our buses if you put a earth leakage circuit breaker rated 10 amp either in the bus(by an electrician) , or an external one like type that are available from many manufacturers in the lead you will not be able to draw too much current from a 10 amp socket and so be compliant. Unless you are using a kettle and or a heater and or a microwave etc at the same time you will be unlikely to trip it, and if you do at least that one is close and you can reset it. The latter is the simplest, safest and legal way as well as protecting yourself and your family from shock.

Adrian

StevieVW likes this.
  12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not if you go to a caravan park. Must be a 15A lead and a minimum length.

13. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

when you start to think about the technicalities of the conversions what is legal seems to be contradictory to the technical aspect (and maybe I’m missing something so please take this post purely as a discussion piece and not advice)
    It is possible and legal to plug a 10A lead into a 15A socket and attach a double adaptor to the end of the lead and plug in two high power devices - (couple of hair dryers for example ) the capacity of the lead and 10A plug would be exceeded but the capacity of the 15A circuit would not leaving the lead essentially unprotected.

but as Mordred pointed out plunging a 15A lead into a 10A socket is not legal but fully protected at the rating of the smallest wiring..

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They make these regulations for a reason. They have large earth pins to stop people using thin cable. If you change the male earth pin you cannot tell what the cable is. You could have used a 7.5A lead and replaced the female end with a 15A socket.

Many years ago they came down hard on caravan parks, The manager of the Windang park went around with sidecutters for any illegal leads.

Why not just do the right thing?

https://www.campsmart.net.au/15a-to-10a-adapter-portable-rcd-for-caravans-and-m

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  15. saabman

I totally agree with doing the right thing and modify plugs and making dodgey cables is BAD.

just trying to understand the intent behind the regulation.

Even the use of a box like you linked gives better earth leakage protection (I’m presuming it has ELCB built in ) but as far as active current goes if you have 16A flowing, you have 16A flowing, no mater where you measure it in the circuit.

Yes absolutely do the right thing the couple of dollars is insignificant compared to the potential for getting it wrong and killing /injuring someone. ( the house I now live in was designed for a family that had a kid significantly disabled as a result of sticking his fingers in a bed lamp light socket. If the electricity doesn’t kill you it can cause some serious brain damage)

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

CB is 10A

17. saabman

That might just be the answer I was looking for - the 10A breaker in the adaptor would limit the Max current through the power point to 10A - which points to it been a limitation of the rating of the power point not the wiring.

syncro likes this.
  18. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Show me the regulation on length(no problem with the 15 amp rating part). Sounds like caravan park operators trying to cover their asses making rules with no regulatory basis. (Gee that's never happened before)

Not condoning those adapter type leads, as they are technically quite safe IF done correctly with the 1.5mm2 flex cord cable, but without a qualified engineer to to inspect it you are taking an unacceptable risk. Don't give the caravan parks ammunition and get an in line safety switch unit regardless of what lead or length they think you need, as I have found so many of the safety switches in those turrets faulty and non operable over the years. It is worth the cost to save your life one day.

Adrian

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think it's in SAA Wiring Rules. The extra one for caravans etc.

You are correct with IF being done correctly. That's why I do not condone it and it really should not be suggested on a forum.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have heard of that for many RCDs. The common Australian brands.