1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pobjoy performance

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Marlyn, May 3, 2012.

1. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

Hi team , i am looking at a 2ltr kombi that is thought to have a Stan Pobjoy motor . ( yet to be confirmed ) I understand Stan now is concentrating on type 1 motors and not doing type 4 .
    Does anyone have or know of a type 4 Pobjoy and can give me some feedback re performance and durability
    any feedback appreciated
    cheers Mark

2. ian.mezz

ian.mezz New Member

3. vinny

vinny Active Member

Yes LOVES to chat, put the day aside , seriously!

4. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I'll second that, I managed to call him once as I left a customer he was still talking when I got to the next 40+mins later.... thank goodness for hands free.
    He's bound to either remember the engine or at least tell you how to tell if its one of his.

If he was closer and I had the coin mine would be running on Pobjoy power for sure!!!!

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Stan will have records for sure.

I bought my Pobjoy motor on the strength of 2 owners who I know who both have Motors built by Stan.

1 is a type 4 motor and has done over 200,00 k's and never missed a beat, and yes I said 200, 000

The other engine has been owned for 15 years and was ran in a beetle and driven hard, it's still running and still being driven hard.

Stan loves to talk, but he knows his stuff so listen to what he has to say, he's been building engines for many many years with a lot of happy people all across the World.
    His engines still command good $$ when on sold as well.

Speak to Stan the Man.

6. vinny

vinny Active Member

ask him what he thinks about bigger motors, he hates em, thats why no strokers he builds go over the 1916cc size

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

In 1993or maybe 1994 bought a 75 DoKA with a Stan Pobjoy 2.1L Type 1 stroker engine in it with twin dellorto carbs - it had grunt to spare and maybe the best VW engine I ever had BUT it was coupled up to a 1600 box which made the thing rev like shit but it went like the clappers. Forced to sell after being made redundant and starting a new job as sales rep and not the image the Mrs thought I should be presenting - shit happens :lol:

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  8. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your feedback troops! We are going to check out the bus this arvo I will note the engine # and check with Stan if it is one of his .
    I will let you all know if it is . Karstans "Old Mate " had a Pobjoy donk and I know he was very happy with the added grunt.
    If anyone has more info to add keep the thread alive ,
    cheers Mark

9. Surfpig

Surfpig Member

Sooo, how'd ya go?

10. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

all looking +ve Brad still need to convince the vendor to sell
    work in progress but at least we know its ours when the decision to sell has a date attached
    cheers

11. MY74VW

MY74VW Member

Hey Marlyn, don't know if you had any luck with this kombi but either for you or anyone else's info, I was talking to Hiendrick and Belmont North several weeks ago and he told me he had a Kombi with a Pobjoy motor and wanted to sell it. I can't remember the exact price but I'm sure it was under $7000.

Paul

12. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Pobjoy, Pobjoy, Pobjoy ...

I'll put my Matt Berry stroker up against it in every way and every day!
    Performance, longevity, economy, torque, top speed ...

13. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

Hi Paul yep that's the one I have 1st dibs my son has seconds . We are waiting for the planets to line up with Hiendrich,s world so we can go and get it !
    Cheers Mark