1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Points and Condensers Failing

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Mr Beckstar, Apr 23, 2019.

1. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

By the way
    in tne secondary pattern above read points open where it says "control module stops coil primary current"
    and where it says "control module allows current to flow" read points closed
    I'm guessing I didn't need to post that.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yes, noticed that Rick.

Anyway, bizarre situation with Harry’s points/condenser. He’s been running fine again the last couple of days. New points and second hand condenser. I wonder how long they’ll last. I’ll double check the coil as to whether it’s the ballast type, but pretty sure it’s not as I researched that at the time.

3. rstucke

There's one more thing.
    put a volt meter on your alternator (not the battery)and drive your kombi like you stole it (hi rpm)
    If the voltage is excessive (over 15.5), that could cause premature points failure.

funny that secondary pattern is of a points system not a transistor assisted ignition system

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Aspudis and David H like this.
  4. Mr Beckstar

I haven’t seen over 13.91 V on the Bluetooth meter. I bought that at Supercheap Auto. Heres a pic of what I see on the phone albeit Harry is out in the car park right now so no BT connection

9B77EDDD-9342-48CE-836D-8EA07A181D4B.png

93D8D2A6-6DAF-47B9-AF78-0DC23DC98579.png

5. rstucke

stick the sensor wire on the alternator (just a bit up stream). Not saying it'll make much diff.

If you've got burnt points there's only a few culprits. To much current flow (not enough resistance). to much voltage (over 15v) usually caused by the alternator. Cactus condenser (should be 19 to 22 uf 250 to 300v). Point contacts not made from tungsten (if you can file it down it's not tungsten). end of story.

David H likes this.
  6. Mr Beckstar

I still can’t work out what’s wrong with the points though. I’ve seen much worse points that work fine. And the resistance through them closed was max 0.2 ohms. Perhaps a poor joint that was only causing significant voltage drop with current flow and perhaps an associated hotspot after warm???? Frustrating when this sort of thing happens.

7. rstucke

Ok
    what about if not high enough voltage is getting to your coil (ign switch), lower voltage can cause higher current (12v 3a = 36w, 8v 4.5a =36w)
    Points and ignition switch start over heating.
    Long shot

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Rick may be onto something here;). Hard to believe 2,k does decent points & condenser. Switch $20 or thereabouts & if not the problem you've got the spare you'll need sometime:p. I've a spare if you wish to borrow.

& after this we'll go back to discussing Harry's heat problem;).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  9. Aspudis

Aspudis Member

Is it possible that it could be a bad negative somewhere? Maybe the earth strap from the chassis to the gearbox?

I had a problem recently where a bad earth was reducing the voltage to my coil and giving me a really weak spark. It made it almost impossible to start too. The earth strap from the battery to the chassis, and from the chassis to the gearbox both looked good but obviously needed a decent clean. It was super frustrating for a while.

I know how frustrating it can be! :mad:o_O. Probably not your problem but doesn’t hurt to check and it’s an easy one. Clutching at straws Chris.

Mordred, David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  10. Mr Beckstar

All good ideas for things to check, thanks guys.

Mordred likes this.
  11. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Another thought on this. Were the points opening or had they closed up due to lack of a spot of grease on the cam, did you check the dwell again when it wouldn't start? If this is all good is the coil a ballast resistor type (this will be shown on the coil base) if so these coils operate on a reduced voltage (usually 8-9 volts) and as stated before in this post another terminal on the coil supplies 12v from the ign switch for easy starting and this is then bypassed to allow the ballast resistor to do its job.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Pardon ignorance.....but what about the regulator? Does that come into play here ?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Or the wrong coil?
    Have a distant memory of chewing points until mechanic said coil was the wrong one. Changed coil and all was well.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys,

The Regulator indirectly plays a part but only to keep the voltage in the system at 13.8 ish volts, which we have ruled out.
    The coil problem I suspect would be the R type ones that use the ballast resistor and we have also ruled that out as well.

Good ideas but as Chris says why don't the points that were in it work when there seems to be no obvious reason for them not to.

A thought Chris, We didn't try checking the on/off reading with the faulty points in place on the dizzy and seeing if they are actually breaking the contact when they are opening. It is possible the points are shorted to the frame of the dizzy and not actually switching the current off at all.

Adrian

15. Mr Beckstar

Yes, the points were opening. The dwell was set at about 44 degrees when I installed them new and it was 48 degrees when I was having these issues. It’s a new coil I bought from Vintage VW late last year. I think it was Beru brand. I did check everything was right when I opened the box and it seemed right.

16. Mr Beckstar

I’ll double check. Hopefully I can find the box.

17. Mr Beckstar

I just checked the resistance of the points we took out and they seem to work properly. Open circuit when points open. 0.3 Ohm or less when closed.

Really weird though that it seems to fix the problem when they were changed when they seem to work fine.

Perhaps the earth wire from the advance plate to the body is dodgy and when changing the points we’ve disturbed it and made it work again. But it looks fine. I don’t know; just fishing for an explanation.

Mordred and David H like this.
  18. David H

David H Well-Known Member

When it's not obvious this thinking can make sense;). Seems consensus is earth or voltage & a bit random. Perhaps some mileage will show on the new points & give direction of failure???
    I'm sticking to the condenser stuff & why the excess is ending up there as to how to find the answer? Both points & condenser dealing with more than they have to:rolleyes:. Do a 100km & see what info the points give?
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Have seen the points wire break within it’s sheathing, leaving only a couple of strands in contact. Once the vehicle ran, resistance built up as a result of the lack of cross sectional area ( not enough copper ..).....the wires that were left couldn’t handle the load.
    Was very hard to find..... but solved the issue at the time by replacing with a (checked!) set of points.......
    Just another thought........there has to be a reason.
    Watching with interest
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. Mr Beckstar

100 km? Already drove from Eden to home with the new points; about 600 km! No hint of another problem so far.

David H, oldman and grumble like this.