1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop Top cleaning

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by iano6666, Feb 5, 2015.

1. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Hi
    I wish to 'brighten up' my fibreglass pop top .
    Tried bath cleaner - helped a little but wondered what else was out there.
    It also has a few patches that need repairing - the best way ?
    ta
    ian

2. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

I used boat polish to buff up the fibre glass pop top really good result

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Like Mark suggested.
    as long as its the original gelcoat its the best product. If really flat it may need a straight gelcoat cutter first.
    Jiff works on light fade :rolleyes:

repairs best done with epoxy resin. its much better than polyester resin for stick and strength. clean out cracks or chips with acetone then saturate into the fibres with mixed epoxy cut with about 10% acetone on first coat. if necessary. glue powder[ don't breath it ] is good when added to mixed resin to fill or glue when gaps are present. smooth while wet as its a mongrel to sand.[leave it low and top with q cell mix or car bog, best while still tacky.] Q cells for a filler with resin are sandable but not good for glueing.
    Good to sandwich under and over with woven fibreglass cloth[about 190gsm] and resin if cracks are such that they allow flex.
    work next layer in process while previous still slightly tacky. otherwise ,if is set overnight it will need a wipe with acetone and a light sand to remove the amine blush.

4. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Cheers - I ride surfboards so should have some in the shed - will give it a go - ta

5. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Ta mark - will some boat polish - cheers

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Will be used to it then :)