1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop top has been popping up!!

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by auschook, Jan 24, 2013.

1. auschook

auschook Member

My beloved Frooty has been 'flipping its lid' (literally!!) While driving along today the pop top just flew up and scared the ... u know what out of me!!!! It did it once before a few months ago in the exact same spot!! Seems all the straps that tie it down are stuffed so it is just sitting there, can anyone help with where and who could fix this prob for me??Can i buy the parts online?? If so what are they called??? My mechanic said it could be dangerous as they can fly off!! So any advice would be appreciated as always fellow kombi Kreatures!! lol
    Cheers and thanx
    Jools

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Go to a auto upholster, they will fix it or Clark rubber might have the clips if you can DIY

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't drive at speed/distance until you get that sorted.......
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. Surf77

Surf77 Member

Others haven't been so lucky. Two stikes... Maybe a "don't ride my a*^*" sticker would be fair warning. :lol: It will be costly if it flies. I'd take the upholsterer option if you aren't 100% sure how to fix it. Cheers

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SET-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c18861a81

something like this.

make sure anything you get is not an el cheapo and likely to fail.

use good sized self tappers to secure to fibreglass. bit of sikka to glue it as well will help prevent screws working the fibreglass and coming lose

2 on the leading edge if you think both are necessary and 1 each corner on sides about a foot from corner .

pilot hole in the glass first.

6. kom87

kom87 Member

I bought new fixings to hold my poptop down from whitworths chandlers, managed to get some very nice neat stainless steel ones.

7. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of the stainless ones, they sound neat!

Steve

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

9. auschook

auschook Member

Thanx cbus. This may sound like a dumb question i know but do the toggles go on the inside or the outside??????? (please make allowances for me as i am a 58yo single female lol)

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Inside.

Although I have seen some tops with them on the outside. Dont know if it was of necessity due to the design or just a shitty idea

Should be something already there. maybe its stuffed or half missing hence the prob with it lifting. hopefuly someone can put up photos.
    handy if you could have a look at another camper. often there are variations how they are attached but it doesnt matter as long as you look for the most reinforced part if there is one.
    position so that there is going to be tension to pull the roof firm. doesnt have to be mongrel tight but firm as is comfortable.

at a guess

hold one in place . mark holes. then screw in the top .
    Fit bottom part and pull firm. then if poss pull down another few mm so roof clamps to base a bit.
    Fit all of them with just 2 screws in lower part of bottom bracket and see if it all comes down sufficiently

Once you try it like this and are happy its about right , drill the extra holes , remove the units and glue them and screw them in place.

if they need tightening on the dry fit just lower the bottom brackets a bit and retest. when good glue n screw .

Cant think of any other issues without seeing it.

someone else may have same pop top and have better advice re locations

the thing I like about these units is the have a bit of tension and flex. also look like a good quality although i have not seen them in the flesh

if you wish to get something close so that you can check them then a trailer supply or boat chandelry will probably have better quality than the cheap crap at hardware shops
    will need something that you can not easily bend the bottom bracket by hand .

In the mean time if you need to drive the kombi . a leather belt with buckle could be screwed to the front section of the roof as per the clamps

col

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013