1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pop top removal????

Discussion in 'Body' started by chris smart, May 4, 2008.

1. chris smart

chris smart Member

hey all

was just wondering if anyone has removed the pop top and mad ethe roof into like a microbus?????
    can this be done? how hard? at what cost?

or can you change this to suit the bigger style pop tops like the more common ones???

[​IMG]

2. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

yep i've done it to a large pop top but then i'm not a perfectionist so the sheet metal that i welded in to replace the pop top can easily be detected but then i've put a full length roor rack on to hide it somewhat
    if you have access to a mig welder and a friend who can weld and access to a spray gun and compressor then the total cost for the roof replacement would not set you back more than $250 for metal and paint.
    you would also have to factor in the cost of replacing the headlining.
    but then you do have a rather nice looking low light so maybe a skilled welder (professional) would make a much nicer job of it at a somewhat increase in the cost.
    you could indeed put in the larger pop top it would just be a matter of cutting the hole bigger with an angle grinder there is no extra strengthening welded into the roof as far as i can tell the pop top itself when screwed into place becomes the strengthening member of course you would have to redo the headlining as well.
    john

3. generation fade

generation fade New Member

Roy did something like this to his poptop i think, don't really know much about it, but i think once the poptop was removed he used some kind of material to cover it and turned it into a sunroof. i'm not really sure, if you pm'd him im sure he could help you.

ben

4. chris smart

chris smart Member

thanks kombidaze, that make me feel better and great helkp thankyou mate, my girlfriends dad is a boiler maker welder so thats all good
    cheers mate that was of great help

Last edited: May 4, 2008