1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your roadside assist photos here

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by ruby6689, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yes I had a moment like that once too. Very scary. When I was a boy racer I thought it would be fun to drive really fast down Mount Sugarloaf. It has some seriously steep sections with winding corners and large drops at the edge of the road. I got half way down fine. Then the brakes faded and I spent the second half pushing the brakes as hard as I could, car not slowing down doing something like 100km/hour and desperately hoping there were no more sharp corners. Undies definitely needed changing after I slowly ground to a halt at the bottom.

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Much easier to find now. Stuck on side of Kings Freeway about 20minutes from Batemans bay. I hitched in and am now wating for NRMA.
    And we were doing so well.

Felt like fuel starvation. Stopped amd checked everything and then fuel starvation again. Lots of back fires then dead.
    Managed to pull up.
    Checked what I can. Have not got spark plug socket to check spark. But no issues prior. Fuel filter looks clean, but cannot access without hoist because I don't fit under the back. No vapour lock in fuel.
    Hopefully we can get it tiwed to Batemans bay and get it running. IMG_17042019_141733_(3000_x_1458_pixel).jpg

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Spotty got a new clutch and a service before we left for Mallacoota. He ran like a dream down to The Bus Stop but after Easter we went North to Racecourse Beach for 4 days. He had stuttered a couple of times but nothing that was concerning, then today we set off at 7am to head home. A few more stutters here and there and a bit gutless going up Bulli Pass but after stopping at Costco in Lidcombe and stocking up - including a birthday cake for tonight - he decided he had had enough and was popping, backfiring, stuttering and gutless - he didn't want to go home on the M1 and I didn't want to push him in traffic and cause chaos. A call to the NRMA and they didn't even bother sending a mechanic - they just sent the truck - he took the easy way home. It's probably something really simple. Unfortunately - the tow truck had to brake suddenly and the birthday cake which was in the back of Spotty got a little bit squashed but it wasn't too bad - and it was very nice.

Getting picked up

pick up.jpg

Arriving home

arrival home.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Ignomious end to a great week with cake as the reward:). Spotty just got lazy after all the work & wanted a ride home:p. Nice that you made it back:D.
    and Happy Birthday to someone;)!
    So many stories get made & repeated around Bus Stop travels. It seems we've all got a story to tell about kombi travels when we get home:rolleyes:. Some good...some less than good....but all great fun:D.
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Wayne murray and Mr Beckstar like this.
  5. Mr Beckstar

Okay, I guess I had better bit the bullet and post here too. Certainly others have had worse luck at Bus Stop, but I’m thinking I must have used up a fair bit of the bad luck reserve in the last week or so.

Missed the Bus Stop 2019 cruise and display because of this. Stuck needle and seat after a backfire through the carbs.

2280F0A0-B441-4601-9A00-55C14B349E96.jpeg

This one was due to dodgy set of near new points. Something I’m thinking may have caused the aforementioned backfire.

861C16CE-005A-4C07-A47D-1D3DC1592BD6.jpeg

And then this about 400 km from home. Can only blame myself for this one :(

6678FB47-A176-4A1E-97B5-6C9F53287615.jpeg 5B3FA75E-4462-4E17-9309-81DAB61967EF.jpeg

Wayne murray and Quombi like this.
  6. David H

No tray top involved:(. No roadside assist involved if we exclude Adrian;). Post disallowed as you got home under Harry's own propulsion:rolleyes:.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. Mr Beckstar

There was plenty of Roadside Assist, just not from NRMA! ;)

Wayne murray, Quombi and David H like this.
  8. David H

Think you may be able to upgrade that to "LOTS of Roadside Assist";).
    Geez.... travelling with other Kombis just does my anxiety in:mad:. Now buying a spare dissy & coil. Reminder to self ....add in some front brake pads:p. Soon have an entire Kombi of mechanical parts under my back seat:p. Years ago under my back seat contained frisbees & kids toys;). They're still there along with the hose, soft bucket, solar shower, spotlight, 3 torches, jumper leads, jumper pack, 2 rugs & some things I forget are there. Thanks for adding to my paranoia:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Quombi and Mr Beckstar like this.
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Maybe you just need a car trailer, to tow a spare working Kombi? :rolleyes:

If the front vehicle fails, just swap them over...........;)

10. David H

Old Boy never breaks down:D. It's just watching all these other breakdowns does my anxiety in:mad:.
    It's a planning thing;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Is this how they make the upside down cakeo_O:eek:;). I'm glad you are home safe,which that's all that really matters . What ever happened to Spotty can be sorted and fixed.

TeeBee, Mr Beckstar and melissa like this.
  12. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I think this is Spottys first appearance in this thread.

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  13. David H

& hopefully last;).
    Cheers

Subdub67, Mr Beckstar and melissa like this.
  14. Grantus

Single Cab today, off to get the rear wheel securely fixed......

996ECCA2-CD83-4E3A-BE3F-AF4042B6C4D6.jpeg

Ninga, Mr Beckstar, melissa and 5 others like this.
  15. polland

polland Member

I was hoping it may have taken longer to introduce myself to the local NRMA, but after cruising around for an hour or so on Easter Sunday, my bus just stopped heading up this hill towards Terrigal, was a bit concerned I might get rear ended by other cars flying up the hill behind me, but with some friendly local law enforcement arriving to avoid any carnage. The towie began to load the bus. He was pretty nervous about marking the underside paintwork of the bus getting on his truck. I’m just glad he cared.
    It turned out to be an ignition lead burnt out at the coil, I am assuming from a loose connection, a relatively simple fix and am now back on the road!

AC56300B-7A48-4DF9-9F9D-6C3279DD6C38.jpeg FD9289B1-F02F-450E-9465-61ED2F5A087F.jpeg 98D2E5A0-A8B0-4531-9E87-81F59DD40BAD.jpeg

Ninga, David H, Mr Beckstar and 7 others like this.
  16. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Great to hear! I bet your enjoying driving her around, such a beautiful resto, cant wait to see in the flesh sometime soon
    Cheers
    Geoff

polland likes this.
  17. Mr Beckstar

Glad you got a good operator. I had a guy from Central Coast towing [edit: it was actually Coastwide Towing] once that carelessly swung his tightening bar for the wheel straps and hit my bumper, taking a chunk of paint off in the process. :mad: That was when I had Ellie May with the nice new paint job. It kind of wouldn’t be an issue with Harry :)

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Wayne murray, David H and polland like this.
  18. Grantus

I think this is the SC’s first contribution to this thread as well.

As it was still driveable, albeit just the cotter pin holding the stripped nut on the axle, rather than drag out the winch, the operator allowed me to drive it up onto the angled tray of the truck.......and then lowered the tray flat. Interesting experience from the driver seat perspective! :eek:

After showing him the pics I posted of the rear wheel, we both agreed to only secure it on the truck, using just the front wheel straps......;)

19. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

:mad::(

20. Mr Beckstar

I should correct that, it was Coastwide Towing. I’ve used them a few times though and they’ve been good other than that incident.

TeeBee likes this.