1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Postie delivers

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by Wayne murray, May 4, 2019.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Postie delivers well not quite what you think. You hear the stories of an old barn find which some are true and others you never hear of again. This started about 6-8 months ago when my father goes and visits an Irishman (no joke) every Wednesday for a coffee,chat.
    It is the Irishman's regular postman that had seen my fathers beetle parked out the front of Irishman's house. Which one day the postman mentioned to the Irishman that his father used to own Volkswagens and has parts at his parents house. As the Irishman and my father have coffee one day this conversation with the postman gets mentioned. It takes about a month or two before the Irishman is able to get the postie's number.
    The first phone call to the postie fades all hopes of anything as we found out that the posties parents had offered the parts to an NRMA battery replacement worker.
    It was again months later that the postie mentions to the Irishman that the NRMA worker hadn't turned up and that the parts where still there to give him another phone call.
    Phone call was made and to arrive this Saturday at 10:am at his parents house. We arrived to see pieces everywhere, a lot more than what we had expected. We have to go back to pick up the rest. It's mainly early 60's period parts for a beetle. Some of it is perished, others have been used and some new in boxes. Sorting through the boxes to see what is what good or bad. Storage is tight now. It is true about the stories you hear,when you get an Irishman and Australian postie involved you would surely think someone is pulling your leg (bad joke)but no it does happen.

IMG_20190504_145728.jpg IMG_20190504_145925.jpg IMG_20190504_145937.jpg IMG_20190504_150429.jpg IMG_20190504_150435.jpg IMG_20190504_150441.jpg

Syncro27, David H, TeeBee and 5 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Oooh aaahhh.......... lots of nice goodies there.

Reckon those bumpers would be nice

Mr Beckstar and Wayne murray like this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Treasure! Good story.

Wayne murray and Mr Beckstar like this.
  4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Lucky there is a ute tray not being used!!! ;)

Wayne murray, Mr Beckstar and Grantus like this.
  5. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Those steering wheels caught my eye. Mine is cracked, but also has an added burnt mark from my soldering iron since I installed the tacho and oil pressure gauge :(

Wayne murray and MAP77 like this.
  6. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a lot of stuff! Great story!

7. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

good score, sure there is some gold in there.

8. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

They won't be the same for a kombi Chris, which are flat across the diameter.

9. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

That wire fish tank won’t hold the water very well!
    Great score!

Mr Beckstar, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  10. Wayne murray

They are different as Mapp 77 mention's it's hard to find them without cracks even these beetle and type 3 wheels have chips and cracks in them

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

It was worth grabbing as it might be useful ,better then where it was plan to be going:( Dumped:(

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Gunna need a bigger carport Wayne;):p. You could leave your microbus in my carport (with the keys:D).
    Cheers

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. Wayne murray

I though going to need a bigger shed:) or more land:rolleyes: Mmm leave my Microbus up your way,then you'll see how a kombi can go:p or I'll see it disappear:eek::(.In a cloud of smoking rubber;)

MAP77, David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  14. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yes you’re right. Still kicking myself for burning my wheel with the soldering iron :mad:

15. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Old me doesn't do that. Respectful to all now:) but if your micro needs a flogging I'm your driver:p;).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar and Wayne murray like this.