1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre restoration help!

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by lanmj010, Dec 3, 2013.

1. lanmj010

lanmj010 New Member

hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone is free during the week to come and have a look at my splitty. I'm about to start its major restoration and was just after some tips on how to attack it. As much as i would love to just go right ahead and start tackling it now, its my first resto, so would really appreciate the tips and knowledge of someone who has done it before! The kombi is in Henley Beach South Australia,
    cheers

Michael

2. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Michael,

My advise would be to register on a forum called DSK. It's a mainly split screen forum with a wealth of knowledge from it's users.

You will find 100's of restorations threads and you will also get plenty of good free advise from owners that have already done or are in the process of restoring these old buses.

Introduce yourself when registered and start a resto thread, ask lots and lots of questions, nothing is to daft to ask really...

Beofre you start, buy yourself lots of zip lock type bags, everything you remove should be saved and bagged ( not metal work of course ) but things like door handles, latches etc etc save it all, label it and store.

The original stuff is 60 years old and if in good condition is in many cases still better and more desirable than repro.

Best of luck and see you on DSK.

Ian 68

3. lanmj010

lanmj010 New Member

thanks Ian, really appreciate your help. I'm currently waiting for confirmation of my registration to the DSK forum, apparently you cant register directly anymore due to the number of fraudsters out there, shame, but shouldn't take long!

regards
    michael

4. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

gday michael,
    theres a lot of help out there online as Ian68 said.
    ill attach a link for you more locally, (volks enthusiats club of s.a. )web site/club an you might get some visual help from that as well.
    http://www.vecsa.com.au/
    Firstly we love pictures on here,So one of your vw project will give us an idea of what challenge lays ahead of you.
    Then nextly, work out work can you do your self ,versus getting some one else to do it!
    Then theres the scary part of working out a rough budget for each part/section of rebuild and fitting it into some sort of budget depending on finish an who,s done the work for you.
    Do a shopping list for replacement parts on each area needed to be replaced
    (e.g.-the cost to rebuilding the door frames-)
    such as buying new seals ,glass,rubbers ,what ever needs replacing to your finish standard etc)on parts you need to rebuild it!.
    Next is to work out a shopping list on what rust repair panels you need an start to order them if are you doing all the work yourself,.
    The reason is as some of them wont be in stock an could be months before they turn up from o.s an work stops when you dont have them ready to go.
    Also take lots of picture of things as you take them apart/off the car an bag an labeling,
    so you no how to refit them back onto the car again.
    Post plenty of pics of your work an youll get plenty of help along the way if you get stuck with something!
    good luck with it!
    chuckster

5. Kombi Kat

Kombi Kat New Member

I am in the same boat guys... bare metal resto of a splitty. So i will be watching your threads very intently Michael!!

Hey Chuckster... out of interest what is the cost to rebuild door frames/ the top half of the door with window frames...?
    Mine are pretty shot.is there somewhere you can buy replacements of just a matter of trawling for donor buses?

xx Kat

6. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Can be bought from bus stop and other suppliers , good second hand ones can be hard to find

7. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Thanks squidy. I've sent her a p.m with the info. Cheers chuck