1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prepare for Long Trip

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Kevinthesyncro, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Hi all,

I am getting the syncro ready for a long trip this winter, any pointers as to what I need to do mechanically for peace of mind????

Cheers Kev

2. Caravelle85

Caravelle85 Active Member

G'day Kev. First thing on my list might sound a bit negative but if I was doing a long trip I'd make sure I had the highest level of roadside assistance possible...it's a small price to pay for the ultimate in peace of mind.

I don't know Syncros specifically but mechanically...the obvious things;
    Check tyres (including spare) check wheel bearings, check brakes (including hoses and rear cylinders for leaks), consider checking CVs to see if they need repacking, check all coolant carrying hoses and radiator, check coolant, check fuel lines, change fuel filter, change oil and filter, change valve cover seals(?), check/change transaxle fluid, change plugs, wiper blades, top up washer fluid (front and rear), check exhaust system.

Depending on how far off the beaten track you plan to go (I went way off it on a tour of Oz in a Troopy) consider a sat phone.

Pack all essential spares and tools including but certainly not limited to Bentley manual, decent jack, basic toolkit, fire extinguisher, pump for tyres, jump start leads or possibly one of the little jump starters, ignition switch, light globes, range of spare fuses, I'd take a spare fuel pump based on personal experience, possibly temp sensors, ignition rotor, oil, coolant/distilled water

Probably loads of things I've missed from a mechanical, spares and tools perspective but it's a start

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Thanks Caravelle85,
    Got a lot of that on my to do list, but I was thinking about the little things in the engine bay, not super mechanically minded when it comes to these water cooled vans, had a kombi forever (air cooled) and gone of for months at a time being confidant in my ability to fix things, but I am daunted by all these hoses !!!!! in fact I have never had a water cooled car, in the past if anything went wrong with the wifes car we had a good mechanic, but living in the west and going north in a 30 year old bus that mechanics over here are not familiar with, is a little daunting???
    Thanks for the help.
    Kev

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Spend a few hours and just look at everything. Crawl underneath look over the engine. If it looks like shit it probably is. Fix it now. Don't replace things that rarely fail as that just gives them more chance of failing.

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I agree with the sat phone. You may be surprised how quick the mobile coverage disappears when you are out there. I had an instance between Hay and West Wyalong a couple of years ago where the Syncro decided to not go well. No mobile coverage so I limped back to Hay. I also had an instance at Winjana Gorge in the Kimberleys. No phone coverage again. These days I carry a sat phone but have not used it to call roadside service. It is peace of mind though as we do travel all over the place.

Ian

6. Caravelle85

Caravelle85 Active Member

Why not take a few pictures of the top of the engine and post them in here. When I bought my T3 I found I needed to replace a lot of the vacuum hoses, the big manifold plenum hoses were perishing too so I did those and the manifold gaskets at the same time. This hose seems to perish as well
    https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/breather-hose-t3-wbx-2-1l-silicone.html
    Yours might all be fine

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Syncro27 and syncro like this.
  7. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Hey Caravelle 85,

Here's some pics of the engine bay, excuse photo skills?

Cheers Kev[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  8. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Sh#t how do I post pics???

9. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

syncro 1.jpg how's this?

Attached Files:

Mr Beckstar and Syncro27 like this.
  10. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

look guys, its all alien to me coming from an aircooled background, to be honest my syncro is a lovely honest van but my abilities are letting me down?

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Servicing mechanic to have a really good look around, to give you a clean bill of health, top level road side assist membership, and a Visa card with enough available credit limit........

Then, just enjoy the ride! ;)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Besides brakes and fuel lines - that is basic for all cars

have a damn good look at all the water hoses - that is a weak point that can be easily(ish) seen

Syncro27 and Mr Beckstar like this.
  13. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

As well as what everyone else pointed out, check the thermostat housing and the T-shaped water distribution tower on the opposite side of the engine bay from the thermostat and behind the bulkhead. They are two plastic parts that can occasionally go pop and dump all your coolant on the side of the road.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Thanks everyone, have a great easter.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

And check the distance limitations on roadside service call out.

If it need towing insist it's under 2metre high ;)
    Some anal twits won't transport if it's over 2m.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  16. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

I got hit with a big extra bill from a$#holes because of that when I brought Harry up from Melbourne. The thing about that was, I asked for a quote and told them it was a Kombi Campmobile with a pop-top :mad:. The company was Car Transport Express (CTE); avoid!

Syncro27 likes this.
  17. Maccas

Maccas Member

Hhhhhhmmmmmm .... the blue coloured ignition leads are definitely not OEM stock standard, which they always should be. Would call these blue lead set shown into question and recommend going back to genuine VAG.

Mr Beckstar and syncro like this.