1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procedure for replacing the front bush (under the gearstick)? and other easy ones.

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by thegoron, Sep 15, 2009.

1. thegoron

thegoron New Member

Hey forum,

I recently learnt that my gearstick wasn't meant to move so much from left to right while in gear, and that gears should be easier to find (I simply thought this was a kombi thing, like having a purely decorative handbrake handle).
    Apparently changing the bush will fix this.

I figured it shouldn't be too hard and that I can buy a quick shift kit while I'm at it.
    I've searched the forum and found a lot of posts telling people to change the bushing... but not enough information on how to go about it (considering I don't even know what a bush LOOKS LIKE)

So if somebody could give me a rundown of what is involved... what bushes to change and where they are/what they look like (or at least what they look like new from thebusstop) I would be most appreciative.

Thanks!

2. betsybug

betsybug Member

From my bookmarks come this:
    http://www.type2.com/rvanness/transmis.htm

You can see what a gear rod bushing look like. I wld still use a Haynes or Bentley to help with the detailed procedure as well as an exploded diagram of the parts involved.

3. thegoron

thegoron New Member

Thanks for the reply!
    Sorry, I should have said earlier, I've got a 1979 model.

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I think I can help a little. The bush you are wanting to replace is the Gear rod bush front 74 -79 for $12 on the bus stop.

You can replace this with out removing the engine/transmission.

Climb underneath the front of the bus and remove the splash guard if you have one.

Locate the rod running towards the gearbox at the centre of the bus.

Remove the wire around the square headed bolt that is about 2 foot down the shaft on a thick steel washer (the shaft runs through it)

Climb out and inside the cab remove the rubber/carpet to expose the bottom of the gear stick. Put the gear stick into 1st gear.

Climb back under and remove the square headed bolt then give the big washer a bit of a tap with a hammer to loosen it. This holds the front and rear half of the gear rod together and can be quite tight. Changing gear to 2nd should separate them. Mole grips if used very lightly to twist the two apart may help.

Back into the cab and remove the 2 bolts holding the gear shift to the floor, and remove it.

Back underneath pull the front rod back and fit the new bush into the holder in front of the hole in the floor.

Run some moly grease into the bush and some down inside where the ball of the gear shifter goes into and then slide the rod into the bush.

connect the front and rear rods back together and fit the square headed bolt back in making sure that the end of the bolt goes into the depression in the inside shaft. Then replace the wire to stop the bolt undoing.

Put the gear shifter back into the hole in the floor and fit the bolts to hold it there. Tighten them enough that the plate underneath the gear shifter can move a little.

Select 2nd gear and move the plate forward or back until the lower end of the shifter is at 90 degrees to the floor then slide the plate to the left until it touches the gear shift. Then tighten the 2 bolts and try to get all the gears.

If you are not able to get them loosen the bolts and adjust as necessary, bearing in mind that it will not be far from where it is.

Regards

Adrian

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    David H and Borgey like this.
  5. thegoron

thegoron New Member

Hey thanks a lot for the post! I just got confirmation from thebusstop that my parts have been sent, so whenever they get here, I'll get stuck into it!

6. Mordred

If you need some pics to explain a bit further give me a yell, but it is fairly self explanatory when you are actually looking at it. The rear ones are effectively impossible to do with the tranny in the car. If this doesn't fix things well enough you could try the coupling link between the gear box and the gear rod. It is relatively cheap and an easy fix.

Adrian

7. thegoron

thegoron New Member

Okay! So there was no square headed bolt... or wire, I did have a 10mm hex bolt underneath that seemed to fit the bill so I removed it and the front and back shafts easily came apart.
    I then I climbed inside and undid the 2 bolts from the gear stick and it popped out.
    Climbed underneath again... and I don't know where the bush goes... there doesn't seem to be a previous bush to replace, or any evidence that there ever was a bush in the first place! (my father, the PO was a REAL tight ass, it's entirely possible the bush was never replaced since he bought the car back in 89). Currently looking a micro fiches but can't seem to find anything.

EDIT:
    I found it... was pretty obvious

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  8. Mordred

[/ATTACH]

The bush is in the middle of the pic and the rod passes through it. Looking up from underneath it is the furthest front hole that the gear rod end passes through. In the 1st pic it is right next to the silver shiny bit of the rod, made that way from sliding through the bush. It is possible that the hole might be a little out of round through wear but when the gear rod is as far back as it can come there will be 10mm of the end of it that will be supported in the bush. It fits in the hole like a grommet, and you stick some grease around the inside edge and then slide the gear rod back in. Hope that is a bit clearer.

Adrian

EDIT

Glad to see you found it. Already had the pic when I read your edit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. betsybug

betsybug Member

Isn't there a pair of bushing between the the two rubber gaiters/bellows ie not just one?

10. thegoron

thegoron New Member

I wouldn't have a clue :)

Thanks for all the input, Mordred! Bush installed as well as the quick-shift kit (which was one of the most frustrating things I've ever had to do)!

Next on the list: koni shocks and heavy duty sway bars :D

11. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

are these of help??
    old
    [​IMG]
    new
    [​IMG]

12. Mordred

The 2 bushes are on the rear shift rod. the one we have been talking about is the front one which should take a lot of the wobble out when in gear. That in combination with the coupling kindly supplied in 3 amigos post should tighten things up considerably. Perfection involves the other 2 and replacement gaiters but as said before the engine and tranny need to come out to get the shift rod out.

Adrian

13. betsybug

betsybug Member

Hmm, both Bentley and Haynes (1600) don't seem to show a bushing on the front shifter rod. What am I not seeing here?

14. Mordred

I have found and replaced them on both the 1974 kombi (was a 1600) and the 1975 ones. They are a factory modification to the rod that replaces the little coupling mentioned in both publications that looks like it goes into the front end of the rod. Probably cheaper to make than what appears to be a cast end piece. The result is a pipe that is supported by running it through the bush.

Adrian

15. emby

emby Active Member

Hi guys,

Just did this little job on Eric. Very detailed and useful description Adrian. Cheers for that. :)

One question though. Although the gear changes are tighter I still have a bit of slop in the gear stick when it's in gear. Is this usual or can it be tightened up even more? At the moment my gear changes are smooth going up and down and frevers is a doddle with no more clunking like I used to get before I changed the bush, but the play in the end of the gear stick is more of a rotation anticlockwise of about 5 to 10 degrees. What does this indicate? Any help anyone?

Matt

16. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

A couple of shots that might help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  17. splitbus

This can also be a problem on gear selecting if you have replaced the coupling with a cheap repo

Attached Files:

18. splitbus

They should line up like this

Attached Files:

19. emby

emby Active Member

Cheers Mike. Unfortunately mine looks nothing like that. Weird.

Just took it for a spin and realise I must have done something wrong. 1st and second are too central (not far enough over to the left) and are difficult to find when driving. i.e. the gear stick will move beyond first and second and when you think you've got second your actually trying to put it into reverse :eek: My brain's hurting trying to think which way I need to adjust the plate. Can anyone help before I go insane?:lol: I'm thinking the whole plate needs to go more to the right (towards the drivers door)... or is it the other way round????

After getting the wife to put some slight play in the gear lever I can see what's happening underneath. The bar that sits in the "u" shaped slot on the front shift rod (mines spring loaded, not a solid bar like the one in Bentley) is wobbling in the slot causing the rotation. Again, I don't know if this is normal.

20. splitbus

Sorry the last 2 posts of mine are for splits