1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procedure for replacing the front bush (under the gearstick)? and other easy ones.

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by thegoron, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

From the haynes manual, which I have used successfully many times.

"Put it in Second, loosen the bolts. Depress the clutch pedal the align the gear stick into the correct position. Under the bracket there is a stop plate for reverse gear . Push this to the left until it touches the shoulder on the stick but does not move the lever. Tighten the bolts, and move ot 1st gear. the line of movement should be longitudinal without any tendency to move diagonally. If there is diagonal movement the loosen the bolts ans turn the stop plate to correct it. "

Hope it helps a little.

Adrian

2. emby

emby Active Member

Cheers Adrian. I'll have to give it another crack tonight. I wish I'd never changed this bush. This is a bugger of a job :lol:

3. Mordred

Patience, my son, all it takes is patience.(and I need some right bloody now!!!!)

adrian

4. emby

emby Active Member

So that's why Doc is so handy at restoring these old buses :D [groan]

Sorry about that :eek:

5. emby

emby Active Member

Hey Adrian...I learnt something today. Patience.....:lol:

I walked away from the bus at the weelnd and put up with the fiddling about to find the gears.

Jumped back in her again this evening with a 13mm spanner and a flat headed screwdriver. Fiddled for about 20 seconds shifting it across. Tightened it up and tested.... bloody perfect.:D

I reckon you can spend too long on this and get too involved.... the patience and the rest did me good. Cheers for the advice :D

6. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Where can you get heavy duty sway bars from??

7. emby

emby Active Member

Try Roy at the Bus Stop.

At then end of the day,yes there are a few peole out there who may be a bit cheaper, but I've always found that with Roy you get quality products delivered on time from a helpful bunch of people.

8. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Hi matt,

Having trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd (especially from 3rd to 2nd). Otherwise gears aren't popping out or anything and there's no crunching. Think I may change the transmission oil and the gear rod bush that you just did on Eric. What do ya reckon?
    Is this an easy job if I follow Adrian's excellant explanation? Sounds like it helps if there's someone up top to move the gear lever at appropriate times?!?

9. emby

emby Active Member

I'm pretty sure the gear bush is OK on your bus. It should just be a matter of sliding the stop plate over to the left. Just do it in very very tiny adjustments though as it's quite sensitive.

10. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

OK, thanks. I'll give that a try - sounds a lot easier than changing the gear rod bush...:eek:

11. emby

emby Active Member

I don't think I'm tightening the bolts enough when I'm doing this :umm:

Got the old problem back again. Sometimes when I'm changing down from 3rd to 2nd the selector wants to go past the slot for 2nd and I miss the gear. I'm confusing myslef everytime I think about this so would appreciate some help.

Pushing the gear stick to the left to select 2nd, if I'm going past it this must mean that the stop plate is too far over to the left (when sitting in the driver's seat), correct? Or is it the other way around????:confused:

12. Mordred

When the gear selector is in 2nd it should be vertical where it come up from the floor. . Then push the plate under the bolted down cover to the left until it touches the gear selector. Then tighten the 2 bolts. The gear selector should not go any further to the left unless you press down to go in to reverse.

Adrian

13. robmich

robmich Active Member

Hi all
    i repaced the gear shift front bush today following Adrians instructions in this post,it was as easy as,the gears are a lot tighter now but still slopier than i would like, i am thinking about replacing the linkage at the front of the gear box,can this be done with the gear box installed?
    Rob

14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yup, easy job. Unbolt,replace, replace bolt & nut....off you go. Parts are cheap too. Cheers, Mark

15. Farky66

Farky66 Member

I have the same problem with my gear stick, heaps of wobble, and struggle to find gears all the time, thought it might have been the clutch? Would it be worth trying to install a quick shift kit? or change the bushing like done here?

16. Mordred

Change the bush at the front and the coupling at the rear. The quick shift will magnify the problems not make them better. If, after the bushes are replaced you still have problems, you may have more serious gearbox related issues. A quick shift will not help. Also for the small outlay what have you got to lose.

Adrian

17. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks Adrian, hopefully its not the gear box! I will give it a try and hopefully it sorts itself out :)

18. grady

grady Member

dragging up older posts. but my spring loaded pin at the end of the gear shift lever keeps coming out of its slot and allowing for full rotation. does anybody know why this may be happening or what i could do to fix it??

19. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

Anyone done this lately and care to share any tips. Will be doing it this weekend hopefully on my 74. Mordreds explanation seams so detailed so will follow it step by step