1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions re fuel hose & car seats

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Kombi-KupL, Mar 25, 2021.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I don't really see a relationship here. They should be for the same fuels. Maybe it was just different brands, The only difference between injection and carburation is the pressure. The fuels are the same.

2. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

You are correct re pressure but...
    SAEJ30R9 (Fuel Injection) hose is rated for ethanol fuels therefore built better, stronger and laster longer.
    PR

chris taylor likes this.
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Good quality carburetor hoses are rated for ethanol fuels. More chance of joint leakage with fi hose. More chance of secondary damage at the fuel pump or carburetor with fi hose as they do not have the flexibility.

4. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

That's part of the problem now.
    You should not be using 1970 s type fuel hoses with 2020 type aggressive fuels.It is just not worth the risk.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Why would they be selling fuel hose that is not compatible with fuel?

I think there is just sh*t hose and good hose. The same way it has always been. I remember Tooley's and Ferman selling crap hose in the '70s.

chris taylor likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Obviously the crap hoses would not be up to standard for modern formulations.

I recall one of the fuel companies boasting about their new wonderful av gas in the 90s?.
    Shortly after a number of engine failures to to clogged mesh filters.
    Think it was the alcohols that was stripping the tank coating from fuel tanks and turning it to " chewing gum" . Blocking filters.
    Smart buggers ??

Braided hoses have always been crap in my view for their lack of resistance to splitting and difficulty to observing deterioration.

chris taylor likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The genuine VW ones were always OK. It's not the braid that is the problem. If the rubber is crap it is crap.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Agree. It's a poor design.
    But the braid hides the faults.

9. chris taylor

I have been using fuel inj hose now for over 2 yrs ,no sign of weeps or leaks, or splits. just peace of mind that all is OK ;)compared to what it use to be.:mad:

10. chris taylor

I reckon what it was is that the old hoses used to be ok for the fuel in those days but as fuels became more aggressive and with a higher octane rating the old type hoses could not handle it,but we still kept on using them, :( but when we saw other people's vans being turned into a bbqs we started to question as to the reason why, but of course we now know why.

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I don't think that you understand. Fuel line engine fires are not new. It happened in the 70s with poor quality fuel hoses or hoses that were past their use by date. I remember buying hose from Tooley's and 2 days later the entire length of the hose was moist. That is really the only hose problem that I ever had. I used braided hoses and when they looked bad I replaced them long before they failed. These type of hoses completely sealed without any clamps. Now the hoses that I used then would probably be completely unsuitable for modern fuels but I bet that you cannot buy them now.

The problem is buying the correct sizes. They are available but most people are too lazy or cheap. The only place in Australia that I have found is Volksdoktor (1500king) that sells quality 5.5mm and 7mm hose.

The fires we are seeing now are caused by mobile phones.

12. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

+1
    I ordered 9.5mm hose for the Troopy. 10mm supplied.

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

and I thought Volkswagen had weird sizes.

14. chris taylor

I dont know about the mobile phone stuff or where that theory came from ,but I do know that for to long we were being sold hoses that were not suitable for today's fuels and that comes from personal experiance, and thats what led me to do the research in regards to suitable fuel hoses for MY kombi 6 or 7 yrs ago ,i was amazed that for so long parts retailers were selling hoses that were totally unsuitable for today's fuels and what makes it worse is that they probably were not aware of the problem themselves.
    As I said earlier ,since I have changed over to fuel inj hoses I have had no leaks weeps or splits since.
    It's good that you found a supplier who knows that 2+2 makes 4 and cares enough to do the right thing .
    Cheers.

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The key word is "seeing".

chris taylor likes this.
  16. dogskombi

dogskombi Member

Hi, are the fuel hoses from super cheap ok?
    I replaced my old cloth wrapped ones that went down to the fuel filter and then on to the pump. Should I keep using the cloth type ones?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

17. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

No, I brought fuel line from there, and I had to replace it before getting the car out the drive way as the fuel was getting discoloured by the rubber. It was weeping at the joints and the rubber becoming soft like the fuel was dissolving the rubber. Completely replaced it with Gates barracuda EFI hose, no issues since.

oldman likes this.
  18. chris taylor

I personally would not, just my opinion.
    My advice would be get the equivalent size hoses in fuel injection grade (look up on computer for correct part number).
    Most spare parts places should sell it and don't be persuaded to by cheap shit hoses..also when clamping DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CLAMPS .
    Good on you Wayne damn good advice. To give
    Chris T.

syncro likes this.
  19. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The other thing to get is fuel injection hose clamps. Get the ones that surround the hose and dont let the thread of the screw come in contact with the hose.

[​IMG]

A lot of the damage is from the screw thread and the holes cut for it in the cheap clamps. Also for the fuel pump (mechanical) and the carbs, wire through the clamp onto the body of the fitting as a lot of the brass fittings will fall out with age.

Adrian

MAP77, 1500king, syncro and 4 others like this.
  20. dogskombi

dogskombi Member

Thanks for that guide. So valuable! I will follow through on this. :)

chris taylor likes this.