1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattling gear stick

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by steve_4802, May 2, 2017.

1. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Final preps for a quick 3 month 'lap' of Aus leaving in late July, so bare with me as I fire a few forum posts to get through a handful of bits I've not yet sorted, or really know the solution to.

First off the rank; a rattly gear stick. Ever since I bought my 75 bay window about 5 years ago it's always had a rattly gear stick. To describe the sound; it sounds as if a screw is loose in the head of the gear stick, but as far as I can tell the head of the gear stick (it looks stock) doesn't use a screw to fix on, but a threaded connection? It seems tight on and I don't think it's in the head but just sounds like it is. Another way to describe the sound is a fluffy rattly sound, similar to the sound a poorly lubed speedo cable makes.

I can make the rattle stop but resting / holding the gear stick against my knee while highway driving but this is hardly a proper solution and I get sick of it soon enough. It's one of those buggy and annoying problems that I've never got around to fixing but with about 20k kms ahead it seems as good a time as any.

Likely something in the gear stick assembly at the floor but I've never pulled that apart and before digging in would like an idea of possibilities, and also how hard it is to pull the floor assembly apart to see what's going on. Perhaps some sort of loose washer or something?

Anyone else had this sort of rattle?

Syncro27 likes this.
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Could be worn a bit or bushes inside tube to rear worn.
    You are not likely to want to pull engine to fix bushes inside selector tube to rear but its worth checking and replacing the front bush and rear joiner.
    Both those will also improve gear selection if not already done.
    Easy jobs.

3. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Thanks cbus. I've had the front bush done on a couple of occasions (I think, but at least once, quite recently) over the last few years following routine servicing showing some wear. This hasn't fixed it. Not sure what you mean by the other 'rear joiner'?, is this what Bentley calls the Housing, and rubber inserts?

I get the feeling the source of vibration is in the gearshift lever assembly (inside bracket plate), but who knows as I've been wrong countless times before... Is it easy to remove this assembly from the floor to inspect spring and stop plate etc. or am I just as likely to screw up the gear shift calibration? Note that my shifts are already iffy and I'd hate things worse. It's a sensitive beast, new bushing usually make shifts quite challenging into 2nd gear for a month or two until it wears in. The gear shifting / gearbox in my car is one of those things I'd like to repair but it's just hanging on and has been for five years so haven't had to fork out the $3-4k just yet.

If it's basically as easy as lifting the carpet and pulling up the rubber boot, and unbolting the two floor bolts to remove (without fear of screwing gear shifts) then I'd be keen to try this and see if anything seems a little loose.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Have someone operate the gearshift while you observe from underneath.
    Check how much slop is in the front bush area.
    It is likely that the bracket the bush sits in is worn from bush being absent previously.
    One fix for this is cut a price of nylon( usually cutting board) to fit in front of the bracket but with a hole for selector tube.
    Fix with sika and couple of screws.
    This works well .

While inspecting underneath have helper shake gearstick a bit to hopefully indicate source of rattle.
    Also grab selector shaft from underneath and shake that.
    See what you can hear?

To remove gearstick.
    Remove carpet to make it easier.
    Clean around the plate on the floor then scribe around it to give a position for refitting.
    Remove the 2 bolts and observe how the plate and other parts are positioned as you remove them.
    Important to have the reverse lock out tab on positioning plate right way round.
    Don't be scared to have a look.
    Once you get used to adjusting its not a problem.
    Plenty of ' how to's ' or ask.

http://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2...coupling-for-all-vw-beetle-and-vw-t2-bay.html

This is also an easy fix.
    Check a how to or hopefully you have a good workshop manual.
    I wouldn't do the trip without one.
    We can refer to pages if necessary.

One mod worth doing to the coupling is remove the ' screw' and reem hole with a 10mm dril bit.
    Then replace the screw parts with a 10mm machine bolt( black one that has solid shaft with a short length of thread on the end)
    Use a nylock but.

Both of these mods last longer and take a few mm of slop out of each end but a significant improvement in gear selection.

Don't forget to tie wire the small square locating screw on the shaft of coupling

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Check your front gearbox mount

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Get a big heavy woolen beanie and keep it on the gear stick. Also handy if it gets cold.. Works for me..

Aspro, Grantus and Syncro27 like this.
  7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I have the same problem. New bushes throughout and adjustment pretty good, but at the right highway revs and cruising along I get that sound. Touch the gearshift and it goes away. On my list of things to find. Until then Alpal is on to something.

Adrian

8. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

If you ever figure it out Mordred you'd be my favourite person. It's exactly as you've described and I believe only at highway revs.

9. larrywaves

larrywaves Member

Take it to Andre at Scorpio motors and he will fix it for you. I have the utmost faith in his skills.

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Place in neutral. Undo 2 bolts at base of gear shift. Move lever shaft base into vertical position. Re tighten bolts at base of gear shift.
    Balances shaft;). Gotta vibrate the right way thru the gearshift angle! Playing with this angle will get rid of the 'rattle/wobbles/hum'. It manifests in all those ways. Think drum kit!
    If that doesn't work put in a short shifter. Does the same... changes balance/angle & rev stuff! (technical term):rolleyes:
    Cheers
    Helps lose the beanie.
    Had it on 2x76 Soprus but not F/i. It's one of those Kombi vibe things.
    I did find setting closer to my left knee ( with lever) was more successful.:D
    So if above guidance is not working slowly move 4th gear position closer to your left knee!;)
    Put in 4th gear, loosen bolts, move lever to next to left knee, tighten bolts.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    steve_4802 and Grantus like this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Once upon a time drove from Newcastle to Melb with a beanie over the stick and tucked under my leg to stop jumping out of top. Got us home..

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

just grease everything including the shift rod tube. it shouldn't make a noise and rattle

tomhic likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll go out on a limb and throw into the mix whether the gear lever is positioned correctly into the rod - ok so the the bottom the gear lever has a ball and small "locating" rod coming from the front of it ..... this has to be seated into a cup at the front of the gear shift rod and should click into place, this should have grease in it also. It can go in most of the way and be pulled down with the securing bolts but it may not go all the way in.

Something to check as well is the selector plate and spring hidden by the lever plate and boot.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's a picture -

[​IMG]