1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re Chrome or Buy?

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by iano6666, Mar 22, 2017.

1. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Hi All
    Reaching the last stages of a resto for "iVan" (74 T2) - I have a set of hub cabs in pretty good condition .
    Should I get new ones or have these re chromed - & if so where?
    Looking forward to getting him back after more than 8 months 'in the shop'.
    Once he comes home will then start Stage 2 of interior etc - but need to keep a low 'home front profile' until $ return !
    Cheers Ian

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the rechrome - get it priced up. If triple plate chroming is cost effective compared to buying new then go that way.
    The best I have ever had chrome hubcaps last from new is 3 years (Current set that are starting to surface rust).
    I am a bit slack with my washing regime, but all the new gear is made to a price and the chroming is sub standard compared to a professional job.

As far as where, now sure from me sorry.

3. galp

galp Member

Go stainless

4. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Hamilton Chrome in Mayfield did a set of bumpers and over riders for my Ghia a few years ago and I have been happy with the work.

David H likes this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

'New' chrome does not seem to last. Hubcaps we bought lasted about 3 years before surface rust started to happen.
    If you buy new chrome polish regularly to keep shiny.
    Stainless sounds good but expensive.
    Re-chrome needs to be discussed with plater to see what he can promise for what cost.
    Old school chrome plating was Copper Nickel Chrome.

Poptop and MAP77 like this.
  6. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Whilst I haven't done hub caps I've had a few items re - chromed, happy with the result.

7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Finding a good chrome plating is always a challenge. To make sure its done correctly like mentioned above. I've had hup caps done but still waiting on for car to be finished so there still in box waiting. They do look good . The steel quality is better if they are old ones as well thicker steel. The newer hub caps are thinner steel and poor quality chrome so they will need to be done within a few years anyway. I would re chrome what you have. Or like mentioned go stainless. I don't think stainless is as shinny as top quality chrome. Way up costs between stainless and re chroming.

Poptop likes this.
  8. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Thanks to all for the advice - will check out "re chromers" & stainless options - Suppliers at the moment seem to be out of stock on a few of these - Cheers Ian

9. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I have to add all the chrome ones I have have rusted to some extent - the stainless ones still look like new :)

10. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Definitely re-chrome, some of the after market stuff I've bought has some pitting already. Supposedly high quality!!

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So where do you buy the stainless steel ones from?

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

They pop up on both sites occasionally. I got my new (poor chrome) ones from JBugs USA for $30ea. Note to self... need to keep the wax up to them!:eek:
    Cheers

13. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Hi David do these guys post to Australia?

14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,
    No they don't post to Australia nor sell to you if you're out of USA. Strange way to do business in the modern world:confused:. Got them sent to my brother in L.A & he forwarded them. That's also where I got my new fuel injectors from.
    Cheers

15. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Thanks David
    I have a similar set up in Denver, usually luggage for the annual trip!