1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Heater Cable Fixings

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Stuvada, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

I have installed the 2 new heater cables on my 72 Transporter but find that there are no cable supports at the rear end. Someone has cut them off and I don't know what they look like. I think that I will have to make some. I would appreciate some photos of the cables and retainers. Thanks.
    Regards

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Is this what you are after. There are two nylon pieces as well,one holds the cable to the tube and clips into the holder (seen in photo)and the other is inside the tube supporting the cable (not seen),which is like a little bead that clips over the cable then slides down the cable into the tube bottoms out with the lip on the little bead piece (I can take a photo of it if you need) That may get lost in the process of replacing the cable if unaware of it's presence.
    497.jpg IMG_20200311_181223.jpg IMG_20200311_181121.jpg IMG_20200311_181100.jpg

TeeBee and David H like this.
  3. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

Thanks Wayne. That's it. The angled brackets have been sawn off mine and ditched. Can you please give me the size of the bracket. Photos of the nylon pieces and other small parts would help also as they didn't come with the new cables. Thank you. Beautiful restoration job. Olive green? Mine used to be Olive green.

4. Wayne murray

Avocado Green. I'll get photos and size tomorrow for you.

5. Wayne murray

Parts you need for the rear of where cable sits around that bracket.

Bush for Heater Cable

[​IMG]
    Heater Cable Guide
    [​IMG]
    Heater Cable Clamp
    [​IMG]
    Rubber Boot Heater Cable Tube Ends
    [​IMG]

David H, tintop and Grantus like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

@ bracket photo @Wayne murray .
    Just to help flow!
    Cheers

7. Wayne murray

I've done the bracket photo Post #2:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  8. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

Thanks again Wayne. I will try to get the nylon bushes. Do you know if the heater boxes on the 1600 twin port is the same on the beetle as the Low light? The heater cables seem to need to pull on a 45 degree angle from the heater boxes as the flap levers are on the inner side of the heater boxes. My engine is out of a beetle.

9. Wayne murray

The heater boxes are the same for a beetle and kombi for a 1600 tp motor except the levers from the heater boxes are different. Kombi are on the out side short lever with a swivel connector that the heater cable bolt above goes into. Beetle has a longer lever,still on outside of heatbox.
    Photos of kombi ones below. You probably know what beetle ones are like can take photo of them too if needed.
    828.jpg 891.jpg

David H likes this.
  10. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

I just took some photos. Definitely have the flap levers on the inside. Also have a shot from where the bracket was cut from. Kombi heater level cable1.jpg Kombi heater lever1.jpg Kombi heater lever2.jpg Kombi heater lever3.jpg

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Bit blurry like my eyes!
    Cheers

12. Wayne murray

You have beetle levers on yours,You will also need a kit of the kombi levers. Like in my photos.
    cable should go a lot higher up. Has the metal pipe where the cable comes out in the right place or has someone bent it? As that pipe and the bracket where some one has ground off will give you an idea where the cable should run.

13. Wayne murray

@Stuvada drawing with some sizes,relate to photo to help make it.

IMG_20200312_201911.jpg

[​IMG]

14. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

Thanks Wayne. Great detail. I will get busy cutting out and folding some brackets up.
    The cable tubes were removed at some time so I replaced them with aluminium tubing. I may not have them in the original place.
    I notice that the flap shafts don't pass all the way through the heater box so there is nothing to connect the levers to on the outside.