1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear lights and wiring

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Jason Smith, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

hi all, hoping someone near by can help. Realised that either my rear lights weren’t working aswell as brake lights not working. Took out the lights and cut cable ties along to of engine bay to make it easier to trace wires etc. I don’t have any knowledge of wiring vehicles. Hoping someone near by with the know how that is looking for some $$$ might be able to assist??? Fingers crossed. Based in Wynnum

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Start with the basics! Check bulbs, take bulbs out and clean the ends if they aren't blown .
    Check the earths on the rear lights back plate make sure it is clean or just clean it any way and the earth that is on the body near the lights.
    Check fuses not blown and also take out ,clean if they look like they are corroded.
    If that all fails, you can also check the brake switch which is connected to your master cylinder.
    Unless you know that the rear light are faulty (broken):(there isn't much point pulling all you rear lights out and kicking them around the yard will not make them work.o_O:eek:
    Checking everything first.:rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  3. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Thanks mate appreacuate any assistance at all. Will check brake switch to tick that box.

4. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Wayne. Silly question but where is the cylinder? Are there switches on this that the rear lights are connected to? I have checked fuses in the front internal of the van.

5. Wayne murray

The master "cylinder " is this what you are talking about in your last post. It is under you bus,which is connected to the brake booster which is bolted on a steel plate that is connected to your front beam,drivers side. The brake switches are screwed into the master cylinder which also have a brake reservoir. I should ask what year model ? As my 72 has two brake switches and my 76 has only one. I can't remember if there is also different amount of prongs coming out of the switch (two or three prong) Yes to your question wires come off the switch which indicates when you put your foot onto the brake pedal that then connect to the brake lights. there is a method to checking the switch as well,to see if it is faulty or not.If you got a Bentley manual?

6. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Thanks mate will check these connections. It’s a 1975 model. I don’t have any manuals to bebhonest. Running blind haha

7. Wayne murray

From the Bentley . You may have two or one switch.
    IMG_20180730_192542.jpg

Jason Smith likes this.
  8. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Thanks mate. Really appreciate it

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Spend a few dollars and get thee a Bentley manual. Very handy.

10. Wayne murray

You are when you have no lights :p sorry door was open had to close it.;)

David H likes this.