1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear retractable seat belt

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Jon Baldwin, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Jon Baldwin

Jon Baldwin Active Member

Does anyone have any info as to whom may have this rear retractable seat belt set up? It looks to be affixed to a metal rising plate. Not having any luck on my end. seat belt retractable rear schemaic picture.PNG This picture segment came from a German Vw microfiche

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Never seen one like that. There is a bloke central coast area may be Newcastle that had brackets made for retractable seatbelts for the rear, he was told be an engineer how to go about it to be approved modification. As he was also having a rock n roll bed done at the same time. Not to sure of is user name on here. On face book Roger is is first name not sure of Surname.

3. Subdub67

Subdub67 Well-Known Member

Hi Jon, I’ve put retractable belts in the back of my van when I modified the engine, engineers stated that the centre seats could be lap/ sash but outside seats retractable. Found seat safe in Brisbane and they made custom belts and we worked out the best mounting spot, you should have a 50mm x 50mm x 8mm plate rounded corners (approximate) mounted to the panel you plan to mount the reel. Make sure it releases before mounting. Here’s their website. https://www.seatsafe.com.au/
    T
    hanks Jon

Jon Baldwin likes this.
  4. Jon Baldwin

Jon Baldwin Active Member

Thanks Subdub I will contact them and see what they have. All the reading I have been doing state that the reinforcing plate should be 3-4 mm thick so upon impact it bends with the floor and not cut through it and also be of the same stamped shape as the floor

5. Subdub67

You’re Welcome and agreed, did mine 5 years ago so can’t remember the exact thickness, seat safe sell plates with captive nuts, I’m sure they can point you in the right direction. Good luck Thanks Jon

6. Campervanstu

Campervanstu Active Member

7. Subdub67

Hi Mate if you want to contact me via 0417 438 918 I can help you regarding the seatbelts. Thanks Jon

8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe Kustom Kombi has riser brackets for those retractable belts. Some one might be able to confirm that is correct.

Adrian

9. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

10. Mordred

Sorry, they are not the ones for retractable seatbelts but really good copies of the original ones for standard seatbelts. The ones I meant are a different design and higher. The retractor unit wont fit on this type of bracket and there isn't any where to mount it so it will. With these other version bracket the retractor mount in the standard hole and the belt goes almost 100mm higher.

Adrian

oldman likes this.
  11. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

I reached out to kustom kombi but not answering the phone and had no reply to messages in over 2 weeks -wasnt sure how a full width RnRoll bed would go with the retractor reels... So now Im staying with standard type belts and I bought risers from Malcom Engineering thru Justkampers.

Grantus and oldman like this.
  12. Mordred

Sounds like a plan. I have recently heard some engineers specify you need to use retractable belts for all outside seats if going through the re engineering process, but if you are not it should be fine. Those risers do help as the seat top and mounting mean the existing mount is too low to be comfortable and on taller seat occupants the seat belt keeps dropping down.

Adrian

MeMatt likes this.