1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Tailgate Rust...

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Grantus, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Discovered today a very real potentional rust cause for the bottom edge of tailgates.

At the lowest point in the inside corners, there is two plastic caps / bungs. When I removed mine with a paint scraper, the inside was chocker full of crap, that with moisture, would never dry out, and slowly rust away the lower section of the panel.

The holes are drain holes for any water inside the rear panel, that could access through the lower vents, or through the top wiring access points with old cracked bungs no longer sealing those holes.

Simple preventative solution, is to remove the bungs, remove the inside door card, and hose out the inside of the tailgate.

The amount of muck that flowed out the holes until the water ran clear, was quite alarming!

Something I intend to do again every couple of years, from now on.......

Bungs look like this:

10C132CC-9F31-427B-847D-673BF4BE525A.jpeg

And inside was like this!

234BAEE5-DE16-4E03-95C0-0648BB5CEAE3.jpeg

David H, Syncro27, T3Baz and 2 others like this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Good tip Grant, would also recommend a squirt of penetrol inside the cavities once it’s dry.
    Better found now than when it bubbles through as rust..........
    Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Grant might prefer lanolin :)
    And yeah. Give it a good hit .
    Doors and a lot of other spots suffer the same scenario.
    Definitely benefit from Grants suggestion.

4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I removed mine when the van was repainted.

5. Grantus

Did you bother putting them back?

Can’t follow the VW thought pattern as to why they would cap drainage holes....o_O

There was a 70’s model Holden station wagon they made without lower drain holes, but produced a large extra quantity of tailgates, for future profit in sales of spare parts, once the original ones suffered rust too costly to repair...but I don’t think that was the reason for VW to plug seal, the drainage holes in a T3.

Concerned about back draft of C02 from the exhaust, (the holes are on the outside of the rear door seal), infiltrating the cabin space via the back door card? :rolleyes:

Who knows........:confused:

6. Luckyphil

No never put them back

7. Grantus

I’m thinking about doing the same..........unless someone comes up with a valid reason for their existence. ;)

8. Luckyphil

I rustproofed the tailgate & was puzzled as to why it didnt drain the excess so removed the plugs & it drained freely so never put them back. Have mentioned this to several people who also have now removed their plugs. Sorry I didnt post it so others could benefit, lucky you saw the benefit of posting Grant.

9. Grantus

At least mine is now cleaned, and treated, before it was too late. :)

10. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Great tip Grant/Phil,
    What about foam in the door? I have old foam from inside slowly disintegrating an coming out through the open holes in the bottom of the tail gate. No idea what the foam is for?

11. Grantus

From factory, there is two blocks of foam on the centre upright, I presume to support and stop the door card from rattling....

Yours may have decomposed over time.

I’ll take and upload a pic tomorrow. ;)

12. Luckyphil

The foam is a flimsy tube of foam encasing the rear washer/wiper tube and crumbles easily when touched.

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Any car I've owned (irrespective if make) I've always looked for water draining from the doors and if none seen inspect the drain holes and ensure they are clear ;) 2 utes T2 & T3 drain holes checked also on the bottom rail of drop sides :eek:

14. Grantus

You are correct Phil. :)

I forgot about that quality inclusion in the rear tailgate :p

182F5493-4703-485E-8C8D-BF10F60420AD.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

That looks like the stuff. Must have had the Syncro on a few too many rough roads recently :)
    Tailgate is the one "door card" I've yet to look under.....
    Was told over the week end the rubber "tube" over the cables from the body to the door are NLA (particularly RHS one). One of them leaking would compound blocked drains as you mentioned

16. Grantus

My RH one is stuffed, yet the LH one still appears watertight.....go figure?

17. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

18. Grantus

That one is the oval LH one for wiring.

The RH one is round, for wire and the washer tube. P/N 251971840 and does seem to have been discontinued around 8 years ago....:(

19. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Cool, thanks for the P/N, found this on one site (BusDepot):

"This is actually for the driver side, and is slightly larger than the passenger side one (which is no longer made). However you can use it on the passenger side by simply enlarging the hole slightly to accommodate this slightly larger grommet."

Image of both
    https://vwbusforum.ch/uploads/default/original/3X/9/9/999d3f981f24c1ec4477e3226961c3f28609b3b7.jpg

So there's a solution at least.

Another one for the ever expanding to do list.....

20. Grantus

Been to Clark Rubber today, and invested $5.10 in some grommets and rubber tube, to see if I can adapt and fabricate something to replace the RH decayed part, rather than grind the round metal hole into an oval, to use a LH one.

Will keep you posted if I succeed....;)