1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reassembling 1/4 windows

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Brennen, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Brennen

Brennen New Member

I’ve been restoring my 1/4 windows and I’m now at the point of putting them back together but can’t seem to get the glass in. The rubber insert makes it too tight and if I spray them with soapy water it’s a bit better but the rubber moves and stretches. Thinking of gluing the rubber in the frame, letting it set then sliding the glass in after but just wanted to see if anyone else had already done it and had a few tips. Cheers

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Are you talking about front 1/4 windows fixed of opening type or rear 1/4 windows:confused:. I assume front fixed,I use silicone spray .Spray a little in the groove of the rubber where the glass goes ,put glass over rubber then slide glass and rubber in to the leaning over C shape frame.
    The post also has rubber in it on both sides. The side of 1/4 the rubber should slide in where there is one on either side little notches in the post where the rubber slides in to.
    The post has at the bottom a little metal bracket sticking out where the other frame clips into and then a self tapping screw holds the top in.

3. Brennen

Brennen New Member

It’s the rear 1/4 windows or flipper windows I think a lot of people call them. But I’m doing the front fixed 1/4 windows next so that’ll help me soon cheers. Same idea with the rear ones with Silicone spray? No need to glue the rubber into the frame?

4. Wayne murray

Have you got the right rubber that sits between the glass frame and glass? You put rubber around glass,rubber should be the same shape as the frame except room for the glass to sit in. Then some silicone spray around the outside of the rubber and you can put some on the inside the frame. Make sure you have the C shape frame sitting on a blanket ,put the glass with the rubber into the frame and slide it down.You may need a rubber mallet to give it a tap to get it home in it's final place. Make sure the rubber doesn't move which it does do some times.

Brennen likes this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yep, silicone spray and don't expect it to be easy (but know it's possible) and you'll get there

David H and Brennen like this.
  6. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Cheers I will get some silicone spray tomorrow and give it a go! Will post some photos of the rubbers I have and hopefully the glass in the frame haha

7. Wayne murray

It isn't the easiest of jobs:rolleyes: as tintop mentions, putting the complete rear 1/4 windows together . The quality of rubber is an issue with making them fit and go together well ,which can make them slightly easier grade then difficult:eek:o_O.

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I agree with above. Good fortune Brennan & determination will win the day!:) Hopefully!
    Cheers

9. Brennen

Brennen New Member

10. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Managed to get all three glass panels in without to much hassle. Thanks for the silicon spray idea! :)

Buggergary likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

Your on fire know:D;)

Brennen likes this.
  12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice job Brennen:).
    Cheers

Brennen likes this.
  13. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Need a little more help. Do you cut a bigger slot to fit the pin on the window into the rubber? Or just jam it in? upload_2019-2-17_9-58-26.jpeg upload_2019-2-17_9-59-6.jpeg
    just fold the little tabs down? or what do you do with them? upload_2019-2-17_9-58-43.jpeg
    How does this side of the rubber go?
    (The bit that isn’t pushed in) assume it squishes into the side but just checking?

Cheers.

14. Wayne murray

1) Use some silicone spray and the pin goes into the hole.
    2) Tabs hold the frame in place,so leave them sticking out until you have the window in it's final place.The tabs get folded over the lip in the body frame where the window goes .They will be on the inside of the body window lip.
    3)The rubber that is not in yet goes in the post.One side is larger then the other ,Larger side in first then push the smaller in and work your way along the length to go in,again silicone spray is your friend.
    I find a twisting of that rubber helps you twist it to get the larger side in then pull it back the other way to get the smaller side in ,which needs a little pushing with a blunt object to get the other side(smaller) in place.

Question for you:Have you pop rivet the post in place?
    What brand of rubber being used?
    You haven't got the pivot window in place!!

Brennen likes this.
  15. Brennen

Brennen New Member

The posts are pop riveted together.

Can’t find the exact rubber and I can’t remember what they are but they were $52.90 off vw heritage. 221845285 is the part number in my email.

The pivot window in place?

Wayne murray likes this.
  16. Wayne murray

Making sure you have the pivot window in place before you pop rivet the post on,that was all.

17. Brennen

Brennen New Member

Why’s that? I pop riveted the post on without the glass in.o_O So I needed to put rubber on the frame then glass pivot window in and then rivot the post on?

18. Wayne murray

I think I have miss understood you .

Have you got the glass in once you have put the frame together?

19. Brennen

Brennen New Member

I have had the glass in and out after the frames been together, it is a little tight with the rubber but I think that silicon spray will work wonders