1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuild 2Ltr aircooled heads

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Tomz76, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Tomz76

Tomz76 Member

Hey all,
    would like to find someone that could rebuild my original bay 2Ltr heads.
    Have had a pair of AMC heads rebuilt in Adelaide and they have given me nothing but trouble.......sick of it.
    Will ship anywhere in Australia for the right Machine shop.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Hi Bill
    What sort of trouble did you have with the rebuilt heads? Leaking compression? valves?Cracks?Blowing smoke

3. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, who did you get them done through? (Private msg if preferred). As above, what problems did you have?

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Tomz76,
    Give some knowledge about why you are unhappy with the heads.
    What are you experiencing?
    The guys above previous posts have so much knowledge.
    We all want to help but tell us 'what the trouble is'!
    Cheers,

5. Tomz76

Tomz76 Member

Hey Guy's, thanks for a response.
    I have rebuilt the engine myself, everything as new ......
    AMC heads rebuilt by a guy that does lots of 1200-1700 stuff.
    Drove bus from Adelaide to QLD, first 1000kms good as gold.
    2nd 1000kms Driven by my Son, started playing up due to valves clearances.
    Vlv clearances done buy a dodgy bloke in QLD who we thought new what he was doing, no he didn't.
    Transport back to Adelaide, checked compression first 1&3 0 Psi and 2&3 150 Psi.
    we also had to loosen 1&3 inlet screws by .040"(1mm) to get any clearance, 2&4 were loose.
    Also found that 1&3 inlet valves were leaking 65%, possibly loose seats.
    Have not had a chance to pull heads yet ..................
    Sorry for the long winded scenario.
    Cheers
    Bill

6. 1500king

So, started playing up before the valve clearance reset in QLD?

If you have done the leak-down test with those cylinders at TDC ( on firing position, not overlap) and with clearance on both valves, it is still 65%?

Can you visually see the inlet valve stem end under the rockers is protruding more than the exhausts?

If valve seats are pressed in with the correct interference, then they should not come loose... HOWEVER... if your engine is overheating from bad timing and lean burn, that will cook any head.

Folks need to understand that timing and mixtures, as well as a complete and functional cooling system are critical, otherwise you will have the same issue over, and over, and over again.

oldman, David H and StevieVW like this.
  7. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles, never nice, especially on a new engine your expecting to last a long time and be trouble free.
    When the heads were re-built, what was done? Just a lap in, or a re-grind, or new valves, seats, guides etc? Were the heads checked for condition (not over heated etc) before they re-built them?
    You will need to remove the heads to get a better idea what happened.

Not the nicest thing to hear, but as 1500king said, it may not be the heads fault. One car I picked up (2L motor), owner was over the car due to running issues, they had the engine re-built and never drove it just so he could sell it. After I got the car and went through it, the cooling system was not complete, and the carb's were way out. Unfortunately his issues were nothing to do with the quality of the engine. I fixed the issues and it's not missed a beat since. This engine has hydraulic lifters, they work great, but on an old engine, you still need to keep an eye on them (they will run out of travel if things go wrong)

8. Tomz76

Tomz76 Member

Sorry Guys, engine was tuned and everything looked at twice before i left for QLD.
    Wont know what happened till i remove heads................
    My original question has not been answered, who can i go to to rebuild my original 2Ltr
    Heads ???????????????????

9. 1500king

Bill, Have you tried Bob @ Volkscare?

You need to get the heads checked for hardness( Brinell test) before any work and if they are soft, they are bin food.

Same with cracks, they are expensive to dig out and weld up. Most of the original heads crack behind the exhaust seats and down the exhaust ports, plug bosses and between the valves. The welding also softens the head.

I will be doing them in the future, but have not yet powered up my Universal Mill.

Do you have a 009 distributor in your van?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. kombiwhisperer

kombiwhisperer Member

Reco Pty Ltd in Maryborough Qld 41221371 Neal, do all my heads(2-3 sets a week sometimes), good work and prices

I must note that I rework all new heads before fitting as well, nothing can be trusted out of the box these days

Geoff 0407968021

11. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Another possibility is loose valve guides,I had a couple come loose in a new head and during my years also saw a lot of them over the years.