1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomended Engine Rebuilders

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Radar15, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

Can anyone recomend someone good around Toowoomba, Brisbane and the coast?

2. farquire

farquire Member

have a go yourself its not rocket science its a vw,you'll take 10 times the care that someone else will and learn something on the way

3. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

+1 to that.

4. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

I have no idea what to do and where to start though.

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

If you've got a spare engine. Start taking that apart, then work from their, just need lots of time and patience, and hand cleaner......... My 1600's all pulled apart up in the shed waiting till I can get into the machine shop to see what I need to get! I've not done one yet but now's as good a time to start as any!

6. farquire

farquire Member

thats what the forum is for, ask a lot of questions,donor motor is a good start

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Up in Toowoomba you have a VW group - KlubVW and someone there may be able to point you to someone.

On here KombiSaint (Alec Brown) is in Toowoomba and he may be able to advise you of someone also, or may have some books of relevance.

Get a VW manual and have a go yourself - check out http://www.ratwell.com/ which a site worth looking at as it covers an engine rebuild plus many other interesting facts adn links to other site also.

Have you had the problem diagnosed as it may not need as much done as you think.

ABMc likes this.
  8. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I just dropped my motor and gearbox out today and I am 90% certain they will be going to VW Engineering at Laidley/Plainlands - not far from Toowoomba. Still got a few more queries for him and yet to get feedback of any kind from anyone who's already been there. But we did go out there for a drive last week just because I like to meet who I'm dealing with - it's run by Peter a German gent who's been doing them all his life and seems genuine, he took an hour out of his day to talk me through what happens there, he has his own machine shop. Also does gearboxes. Google for phone no, it was first or second entry. If you know that servo called "Rustys" on the Warrego highway, it's about a quarter mile behind that.

Good luck with your mission!

Rocky likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

Decent old treck for you Nick out to that neck of the woods.

10. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Yeah mate, not a bad old drive but then we love to get out of town every once in a while! Spoke to Peter again today and organised to drop the motor and box off so we will be cruising out that way with the trusty Corona plus trailer combo on Wednesday. The guy seems to work about seven days a week so must be doing something right for the punters. Will be sure to let everyone know how it all pans out with the rebuilds and how they perform.

This time we can drive straight to him but the first time the bloody GPS was trying to send us out to sea and heading for Denmark - honestly we were down a two-rut dirt track and the thing is telling us to take a left turn after 50 metres which would have put us in a creek! Had to stop and ask for directions the old fashioned way.

11. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

Yea Im part of the Klub VW and I now Alec aswell. And yes I had my mechanic tell me my compression is way down and most of my rings are gone.

12. Lucy74

Lucy74 New Member

hey nick looking at using Peter from vwegineering myself... how did your dealings with them work out? how did the engine run?

13. KahunaKombi

Nick not on here much these days but as I'm in the same burb as him and know him - well PM Nick - don't think he will speak to highly of Laidley mob as other member(s) also. See Radar15 aka Mitch to name 2.

If you want an engine rebuild then try Pete @ Custom VW in Stafford, or Gary @ Conti Engines up on Bribie as is Shaun (Ithink it's his name) @ German Engineering @ Bribie (going on memorya with this one) nd I think you'll get a better job. There is also Leon Motors @ Salisbury.

peter drogi likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

You also have Volksmod @ Burleigh or Gold Coast Vee-Dub @ Labrador and there is also Pheonix Engineering in Woolloongabba.

There are businesses that advertise in the VWMA Magazine (paper shop or via subscription) so it's a good place to get details from :rolleyes:

15. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Sound advice from Bert!