1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Kombi

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by thegownchick, May 14, 2012.

1. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

Such a shame because it looks so nice, and I could actually afford it at $5500. I would offer him $4500. But not if he's dodgy. And doesn't sound like it would pass an NRMA inspection anyway.

2. GRACIEPOG

GRACIEPOG Member

I think regardless of what you can get it for, since he is a dodgy fella you'd probably want to make sure you inspected it first, or even better get someone who knows Kombis to have a look at it for you.

Just so you know, the stickers are there to hide the imperfections under the paint - rust or dents - not to make it look pretty. This is a common trick I believe.

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

4. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

5. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

6. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

Hey you know what, just for fun, I might send them an email asking how much it actually is and ask for clarification on why the price keeps changing.

7. GRACIEPOG

GRACIEPOG Member

Yeah do that. I've messaged him before and given him some advise about selling Kombis: Don't keep changing the price, don't put stupid billabong stickers on them, don't paint them colours drastically different to the inside colour etc etc. But, evidently he didn't care what I had to say.

8. Barnes Bay Hippy

Barnes Bay Hippy New Member

I'm no Kombi expert, but in my naive and hasty desire to get back into a bus, I foolishly bought one, via eBay, off a blatant liar. She'd built up a false "legend", around the bus, on this and other sites, started with a very high opening bid, couldnt reveal VIN numbers etc. Played me like an old fiddle. Towed home on a flat tray, and I determined to make her right. Now, after a new motor, and a bit of chassis rust cut and shut, I've yet to start on the bare interior, or the extensive body rust, and rough as guts spray job. My van will end up owing me about $20K, which is what good, rust free Bays here fetch. So, in a nutshell, if it looks too cheap, there's probably a lot of faults, or it's just a plain wreck, like mine was.
    As wiser heads have already said; get someone to look at it, at least that way you will get an objective opinion.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  9. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

That's a sad story but hopefully with a happy ending? Would love to see some pics if you have time to post them.

I'm not going anywhere near that red kombi.

10. evsky

evsky Member

11. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

You wouldn't believe it. The price on car sales is now $17000. That's the price in the heading.
    But in the body of the ad it says "KOMBI CAMPER 1973 price only today $6500" and also " $15000 no less urgent sale TODAY".
    SO three different prices all in the safe advertisement.
    Seller must be on drugs, I reckon. :lol:

12. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

13. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

Could you please email me some photos of this camper, I would really appreciate it. Janette thegownchick@hotmail.com Are you doing some work on it?

14. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

15. GRACIEPOG

GRACIEPOG Member

Looks very familiar to an olive green microbus that was on ebay not so long ago (maybe 2wks) in Victoria. Sold for $1,625. I was tempted to buy it as it looked half decent without too much rust.

This guy has clearly ruined it with his dodgy respray though. Hasn't even bothered filling the right corner near the engine hatch.

16. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Should this be elevated to the buyer beware thread?