1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red's Rolling Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OberonViking, Sep 23, 2021.

1. OberonViking

OberonViking Well-Known Member

D2FC083A-C03E-4F32-8BC1-566786F33526.jpeg So Red is my daily drive. I only drive 4 minutes to work, so I can afford to walk to work when needed. With NSW lockdown I am working from home anyway...

Upon delivery I needed a jump start to kick over - thanks to my daughter for providing that.
    Next I spent too much time trying to adjust the shift plate, with very little success. And then I found this had come undone and replaced it, hoping it would improve the shifting. I still have difficulty finding Second sometimes. Naturally, this failed when I had two mates arrive to go for a cruise.
    5296485F-635D-4E67-A336-A456A88D3789.jpeg

Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.
  2. OberonViking

Perhaps you can tell from the photo above that the tail was sitting quite low - I fixed that by adjusting the rear torsion bars.
    00542F41-BF99-4E71-BEEF-34262B02FB80.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. OberonViking

Red didn't pass rego for two reasons - an oil and fuel leak, and the headlights were pointing up at the stars.
    This is the culprit - notice that the case is damage beneath the fuel pump, and the tell-tale yellowing on the fuel pump. (Photo is sideways, sorry, the case is damaged beneath the fuel pump, which is on the right of the photo)
    504EA403-4F85-4760-8B4C-EA2B1BE97087.jpeg

4. OberonViking

Further investigation (and swearing) revealed that the case was also cracked where the fuel pump bolts on. Some dipstick use bolts that are too large, and forced them into the case, hence the oil leak. I think the fuel pump just needs some new gaskets and o-rings. The damage on the case in the corner, looks like it has been hit by something while driving, doesn't leak.
    My BIL is a mechanic and we used some super-strength putty (can't remember its name) to patch the case. It didn't work all that well. The product does say to not use when the temperature is less than 10C, but those Bathurst winter day's didn't get that high. I will remove the fuel pump later, get new gaskets for it and fix the mounting points properly, probably in the summer school holidays. It barely weeps oil and fuel, and only when running.

5. OberonViking

I guess this model is what they call the cross-over bay. Notice the more square air intakes and large taillights of the late bay, but the fuel filler cover rather than exposed fuel cap. This information probably goes some way to explaining the issue with the headlights.
    44A52A8D-B0D1-469E-B0F8-3B6E19F78CC2.jpeg

6. OberonViking

From what I can tell, in the early bays the headlights were wedged in - there's a ridgeline that helps with that. Late bays had three mounting points. This headlight assembly (non-VW which further complicates things) needs mounting points.
    For now, I have wedged it in. Between getting that done, and using zip-ties and a newborn nappy to prevent the oil and fuel leak from hitting the mechanic's floor, Red passed rego.
    7C73EE13-0496-4AB5-A647-F8E132EB94D8.jpeg
    A8D163B5-03AD-430C-B88D-9C4E300FF935.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  7. OberonViking

The clutch point was sitting right at the top of the pedal, so that should be an easy adjustment - I even have a spare clutch cable if that needs to be replaced. But then I found this.
    This is a hydraulic clutch, and I am like OMG can't people leave the important stuff as original.
    I spent too many hours digging for info on these things, and I have adjusted it properly now.
    4931FDDF-9122-4CA5-BBCB-F4FCBBCCB97A.jpeg

Syncro27 and KahunaKombi like this.
  8. OberonViking

Just so you don’t think it is all doom and gloom (sorry about the sideways photo - I swear it is the forum, not me, I am uploading photos that are the right way up)

This is Porgy, my co-pilot.
    25DD39FD-3CD2-42E3-908B-EF38943971DD.jpeg

Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.
  9. OberonViking

Actually, it is all gloom.
    They've cut out the spare wheel well and so the spare just slides around the luggage area, along with a 10" subwoofer in a massively over-sized box that is not mounted properly. Notice the breather pipe has been cut and weep fuel.
    They've cut out a much larger engine access hatch, but replaced it with chipboard, held in place with 2x4's. Also, there's all this aluminum checker-plate in the back.
    They have put on a non-advance distributor. It has a flat spot on acceleration. Notice the blue tape - it goes to #1 which was confusing because that is not where it is with the original dizzy.
    The engine had no marking for TDC. Well, there was this mark, but it corresponds to 8 BTDC. It now has proper markings.
    27876376-746A-4424-B8F8-C43DE576321E.jpeg
    B16DB611-12F4-494F-A6DE-A5C5E8E9A027.jpeg
    FAF5C372-22C0-4193-9FA1-C77039FA5617.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. OberonViking

I have moved those speakers under the rear seat, I will screw them in place tomorrow or Sunday... I have made an engine cover that is not flammable.
    I have tuned it and it runs quite well now, even from cold on those chilly -3 C mornings in Bathurst.

11. OberonViking

Try to not notice how the rear seats are held in place, the rust-hole in the bottom right corner of the rear hatch, nor the unnecessary hole in the luggage area to supply power to the amp.
    8366DDFB-8894-4875-821E-15D3B4F02784.jpeg
    BC37A753-1AF1-4A48-BDB8-C73BBFB4E03A.jpeg
    CCB13218-6991-472B-ADB6-161DD4B25BAF.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It is the forum. It does that to “portrait” pics, (even though they look right on the phone), and not the other “landscape” ones. o_O

13. OberonViking

Somewhere along the line I gave it a full service, new NGK plugs, oil, adjust the handbrake - rear discs by the way. And it appears to be a 2L, on a 3rib gear box.

14. OberonViking

I decided to tackle this mess. I turns out that they cut the line to the lights and spliced in the two gauges and stereo, FFS. In the end I decided it was too complicated to undo, but I have tidied it up, wired in the stereo correctly (they had the main power and the memory line mixed up - now both coming from appropriate places in the fuse box). There is also now enough length in the stereo's wires to be able to remove it easily.
    If you're going to do any of this work, remove the glovebox. It is amazing how much room it gives you to work under the dash.
    Notice my copilot in the third photo.
    F48768C4-5093-40A2-BBA2-6ED5FFEDB0D0.jpeg
    3B36C6A8-8D20-40DA-A54F-E686BD791F82.jpeg
    95E6EE27-1CA7-4942-8BF2-F62446EBC1D8.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. OberonViking

More sins of the previous owner uncovered:
    Heater lever removed - did you notice there is only one?
    Heater cables loosely attached, currently zip-tied to heat the cabin.
    Washer bottle hose broken from being pulled tight.
    Front seatbelts from some GMH vehicle, very old and in very poor condition.
    Tow plug not wired at all.
    Engine lid stays removed.
    None of the doors are adjusted properly, though only the passenger one leaks a little.
    Front beam bolts not fully in, one left out by 2cm.
    Overspray everywhere, red and white.
    Many, many holes in the firewall from things screwed in though later removed.

Ijam likes this.
  16. OberonViking

I used some of the sound deadening material to patch the holes in the firewall, then sprayed it black to help with the appearance.
    B53106A2-0A4A-4BD7-8DC1-FCE58922AE87.jpeg
    5BE714BE-0FC3-4EF4-B160-356AA5B80044.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  17. OberonViking

Today I replaced the main fuel hose from the filler to the tank - actually my BIL replaced it because he has forearms like tree trunks. I was getting a waft of fuel when I took roundabouts too quickly. I will replace firewall and all the fuel hose tomorrow or Sunday.
    When I took my wife Emma for her first ride, and she is not a believer, I had a fuel hose come off. "Not a good start, but totally predictable," she said.
    Actually it was the copper/brass insert in the carb body that the fuel hose attaches to. It is currently held in place with zip-ties, and will be repaired as I replace the fuel hose.

18. OberonViking

This is what Red looks like now.
    I now need to:

replace fuel hoses
    install firewall
    install left carb
    install heater boost fan
    install DIY engine cover
    install more sound deadening
    mount speakers
    tidy up speaker cables
    install middle and rear seats
    modify and install kick panels
    install under-dash trays
    install new (red) seatbelts
    make a support for the front number plate (it vibrate loudly at speed)

I have all the parts for these jobs, just need to keep on keeping on. It should keep my occupied throughout the lockdown.
    D2A14A00-8808-46A2-930E-3EEBD93F62EF.jpeg

Ijam, David H, Syncro27 and 2 others like this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Devcon special F is an extremely good aluminium metal epoxy.
    Have had good results on aluminium mini sumps and Datsun heads ( within a few mm of combustion chamber repairing water jacket corrosion.

OberonViking likes this.
  20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

If you’re trying to take landscape shots, rotate your iPhone 180degrees, take the shot and then upload.
    Found this out on the iPad…….
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ijam likes this.