1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Alternator

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Rev., Sep 10, 2007.

1. Hayley&nathan

Hayley&nathan New Member

Thank you for this it has made my morning a bit easier. Also for future reference for people. Alternators can be beefed up, it is all about replacing the internals.

oldman likes this.
  2. SCUBA

SCUBA New Member

Thanks for these excellent instructions and pictures. I had to remove my alternator while chasing some bad wiring and this was the best set of instructions I found ;)

Having removed and replaced the Alternator 5 times in one day, i am pretty sure I could do it in my sleep now. Cheers, SCUBA

3. SCUBA

SCUBA New Member

BTW, My Alternator is stuffed. Its a Bosch 70A i a 2L 1977 Bay. The Auto Electrician after a quick 5 min check thinks its the stator and the diodes are blown.
    I intend to pull it apart next week.....however does anyone know if there is a suitable equivalent that I can use? Or where I might source a Bosch 70A. Apparently they were used in some older holdens - HK through to about HQ I think.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Good auto electrician should be able to re-furbish your existing one……it'll be better than an aftermarket replacement.

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The only ones with the 70 amp output to fit a type IV engine I have seen are from America and were for Vanagons. Be very interested if there was a local equivalent. There are 70 amp versions for type 1 motors available but there are not interchangeable. There maybe some holden equivalents but what ever you use will need an external regulator and be able to have the cooling ducting and end plate fitted to them. Internally regulated ones will have issues due to the heat generated by the alternator, the head behind and the heat exchanger below. Heat and electronics are not a good mix.

Adrian

6. oldman

Reviving this thread as I had to do this in my ‘76 2ltr. at Dubbo recently…..
    Make sure you disconnect the battery before you start…..an unexpected arc will scare the 5hit out of you when you deal with the wiring !
    EDIT:
    “Disconnecting the wires” entails removing the power feed from the starter and pulling the cable through the firewall grommet. You will also need to disconnect the Regulator plug/terminals.
    The hard way (but also possible :rolleyes:) is to remove the back cover of the alternator and disconnect the wiring from the internals of the alternator…….it’s a time consuming, fiddly job. You’ll need patience and somewhere to place the small nuts from dismantling the rear cover plate….DON’T lose any of them !
    The other thing I would add is the the alternator cooling boot clamp has to be loosened right off , otherwise you’ll be having a tug of war with a VW demon, hell bent on thwarting your efforts to get the alternator out.:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Alpal likes this.
  7. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

They are 55ah. 70ah are available but requires special fan pulley that is difficult to source. Will see where more info is about this. I looked into it when fitting AC to my bus.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  8. Mordred

I might not be understanding when Mark was actually removing the rear plate to disconnect the wires, but you shouldn't need to do that until it is on the bench. The "disconnecting wires can be achieved by unplugging the regulator wiring at the regulator (take a picture if you done have the original plug to make sure the cables go back on the correct terminals) and disconnect the main power feed to the starter motor and then pull the wires in their plastic covering and with the plug on, back through the fire wall grommet and then pop the main grommet out of the cooling tin. You take the whole alternator out with the harness on it. No mucking around in the engine bay trying to get the plate off.

Sorry Mark if I misunderstood and your were talking about on the bench after all.

AJ

oldman likes this.
  9. oldman

@Mordred Okay.........:rolleyes:
    No misunderstanding Adrian, I did it the hard way !! (as usual....)
    I didn't look beyond the firewall to see where the actual power feed comes from and assumed it was via the main loom / front fuse box...... so disconnected the wiring to the alternator, insitu.......
    (still had it out in 45 min. ;) and why I had to remove the rear cover plate....)
    Live power takeoff from the starter would also explain the subsequent arc when I shorted the power feed nut to chassis, via a ring spanner.......scared the 5hit out of me !! :eek:

Nice to know there is an easier way :D
    Having ALL the information makes a hell of a difference !
    I'll go back and edit my previous post......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Barry likes this.
  10. Mordred

No worries Mark. Reading it, something just seemed odd. Trust me it is easier by far.

We should probably say in it too, first thing before you start - disconnect the battery. Doesn’t matter which way you are trying to do it you are at high risk of shorting the battery and damaging the wiring loom and possibly other components and yourself.

Adrian

ttmck, Wayne murray, Wiz and 2 others like this.
  11. Mordred

I have added a few notes to the original post that might make things a little safer and easier. It was such a good original that I never actually noticed that when you go to do it there were a couple of things missing.

Adrian

Wayne murray, Barry and oldman like this.