1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing pop top???

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by ontheballpaul, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ontheballpaul

ontheballpaul New Member

i have a 74 sopru pop top kombi, i am looking at removing pop top to have rust removed from the roof of kombi, my biggest concern is not damaging the exsisting roof lining ( not canvas ) when the pop top assembly is removed.
    my wife was thinking about removing the lining from the bottom which would require removing window seals and cupboards etc, where as i was think of removing it from the top which would involve removing aluminum edge that holds down lining as well as canvas.
    has anyone done this before and what success did they have?
    thanks for your help!

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have done neither but am thinking it will need to be completely removed before any welding is done?

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Did this on my 76 sopru back in '83 when it was owned by a friend. Just need to peel down the interior lining (very carefully) where it comes up from the windows onto the fibreglass, Remove the screws in the outside corners (from above) & then lift from inside with pop top still secured down with the straps whilst someone places a timber under the entire pop top one end at a time. Slide timber across sideways to forward travel. This will get it up & then some have been known to then pull them up further into garage roof to get more access.
    The metal trim at the base of the canvas is there to secure the canvas so only remove it if you want to replace the canvas.
    Any questions just ask.
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

mmmm, not sure they are all that simple David.
    Mine has a series of slotted head bolts that secure the front, lower half of the fibreglass to the metal roof.
    To get these off, I’d have to gain access to the nuts from under the cabin roof liner.......
    I saw them when I replaced the cabin light assembly......just out of curiosity I looked up through the void at the time.
    I suppose it all depends on who secured the lower portion down at the time !
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. David H

As we've discussed Sopru's be a bit random about how they were put together. Let's get @rstucke in on this with his 79 experience.
    Which is not too hard as all that needs to be done is prise the front hood lining retainers down & release the hood lining, (which clips over with a cardboard strip to gain tension) which will give access to any nut under the front;). What's at the rear of yours Mark? Same look from above as the front or different?

Cheers

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Four bolts across the back and two large pop rivets in the corners.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. David H

Okay. That is very different. Be a bit hard to get to the rear nuts with the shelf there.
    Let's see what @ontheballpaul got from Sopru;)!
    Cheers