1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoration Plan - 76 Bay - comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DanSA, May 20, 2014.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Vote seems to be 'Silver not grey'.
    Cheers,

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

From the pic, the rear wheel looks more silver than the front wheel.......o_O

3. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks gents (and lady) - that was what i was after. Its hard to be subjective sometimes when you only see yours all day.

My gut feel appears to be on the money. If the powder coating guy doesn't have a better match , ill bite the bullet and get them 2 pac painted instead.

Re the water tank David - i resprayed the outside a few years ago and cleaned it all out, but im liking the idea of going full SS316 tank as we are still getting rust coming thru on low tank. Plus i need to get a drain valve! Noted about dissimilar metals as per your thread, ill take that on board when i get it remade.

Grantus - yes the rear wheel is the old one, the front is the spare - powdercoated. I prefer the rear..

4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Update;
    Paint was going to cost double powdercoating :eek: and considering so much of the rim is covered by the hubcab I had trouble justifying it to SWMBO.
    Have gone with the other Silver he had, its a pearl, so should look a bit more metallic and its a little darker.

At least my spare will be clean and fresh for when i need it and not mess up the interior when in the wheel well... :)

5. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Doors are in primer, being painted today hopefully. Also getting the window channel cleaned up and painted along with the bailey channel.

[​IMG]

6. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hello Dan,

Been following your thread with interest but no input until today. Rims: I had exactly the same dilemma. Panel beater quoted $90 each to sandblast and paint each rim. I did them one at a time as my bus is a daily driver. The first one came back and was like a matt finish. Had a chat and went for more of a chrome like silver finish. Very happy with the result. Best of luck and keep up the good work!

AJD

7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi Dan : Is the new powder coat colour called silver pearl by any chance? As I had the wheels off my 72 Dc done in silver pearl colour . Just waiting for the DC to get done!:confused:. I can send a photo if needed?
    On the wheels have you considered white like your bumper bars?. I do like silver normally but white might give you that extra oomph(punch) you might be looking for.
    Its like you blinkers in a way I normally like orange over clear but I agree that clear does look good on yours. My moneys worth opinion.

8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Wayne - considered White to match bumpers, but just doesn't do anything for me unfortunately.
    The powdercoat is called 'Silver Pearl' yes - from a place called Master Blaster in Mt Barker down the road.

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Collected rims today, look much better. :) Now at the tyre shop to be balanced and tyres refitted, then tomorrow back home and on the Bus!

In the meantime...

Fitted dynamat extreme to the inside of the roof, and behind the kick panels - makes such a difference! Sounds solid now, not like a sardine can :confused: Will be interesting to see the diff with heat loading, rain noise at night whilst sleeping, and of course the stereo..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also headliner fitted, ready for glass re-fitting soon.... (i hope)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So much brighter!

[​IMG]

While I had the bash panel off for doing steering coupling, i wired brushed it back, penetroled and painted it for good measure.. :cool:

[​IMG]

Syncro27, kalamunda and David H like this.
  10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Just out of interest:
    Is it normal for this job to take 5 hrs with a premade headliner? He's done a great job, don't get me wrong, i guess i didnt expect it to take so long (and cost so much) that's all..:cool:

11. David H

Hi Dan,
    Given it's a Sopru, for me it'd come down to who R & R'd the curtain tracks & sun visors? If they did that I'd consider 5 hours cheap.:)
    So where did the headliner come from. My last (20 yrs ago) was custom made by an upholsterer.
    Cheers,

12. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Volkstrim. Vic. For headliner. Just the cab section. I bought it $175 from memory, local guy fitted it. $350.

I'll be doing the sun visors and curtains.

13. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

They arrived :)

[​IMG]

Rims all painted and tyres back on, now fitted back on the Bus after giving them a good coat of wax inside and out.

[​IMG]

Syncro27, David H, OSF and 1 other person like this.
  14. David H

Very flash DAN. Looks fantastic.
    Cheers,

15. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I like it .... Nice!

16. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Learnt something today that may help others doing the Cab Headliner, so thought I would share.

When i put the seats back in and finally got around to sitting inside , I realised what had been bugging me all day about the headliner. In short, it was way too low, almost like a hot rod and my hair was touching. I thought the angle of it looked odd, but was so busy with work, didnt get a chance to have a proper look and think.

Anyways, called the trimmer back, explained and showed photos of the old one. We were both a worried about damaging it to try and find out what was wrong, but he managed to open both sides over the doors for a look.
    The Bows were sitting flat, not up, and were loose. He made the comment that when he installed it he thought they were too short, but as they were the originals, didnt see how this was possible. Thought maybe they had been bent flat, but when we pulled them out they had the curves on the ends.. Still couldn't see how they were meant to locate... After a cup of tea and some more chatting I called Dave at Volkstrim who I bought it off. He mentioned about making sure the bows locate into the groove inside the roof cavity. All became clear.
    Its a very small lip, and you wouldn't think it would work, but once done they clicked and sat up beautifully! 2hrs later, all the headliner was reinstated and trimmed and it looks a million times better. I know have ample head clearance and the shape is back. Kudods to the trimmer for coming back and spending the time to fix it too..

So there you go.. Hope it helps someone, and sorry for the long post..

Some pics of the 'after':
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some finishing touches to the Wheels;

[​IMG]

Syncro27, cbus and David H like this.
  17. David H

Looks great,:D
    Here's mine.;)
    Obviously my rims could do with some help like yours have had!
    Cheers P1100732.jpg2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    OSF and Syncro27 like this.
  18. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Well after a lot of help from Roy and his KC thread, my Dad and I got the new Sliding Window in :)

Only tip i can add is have one of your kids bike tyre levers handy - big help! I tried first with 2mm string, no luck, then used starter cord , 3.5mm. bit easier, coupled with LOTS of lube :rolleyes:- Silicone Spray
    Much better...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27, Blunderbus and David H like this.
  19. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Finally after 2 and a bit month's, door cards and sliding door card arrived from TMI to match front seats :D:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy with the colour and texture match too, not cheap, but think itll make a big difference.

Great timing actually, as I pick up the re-painted doors this week from the shop, complete with new scrapers, seals, clips and rubbers fitted.. Was a mongrel of a job apparently refitting windows etc.. :confused:
    One job i think im glad i paid for.. :rolleyes:

Getting close!

Syncro27 and OSF like this.
  20. David H

They look good Dan & yeah...not cheap. Nice you've stuck to original. Mine had brown inside & I was so over it but didn't 'break' from original until I couldn't get the same roo bar. The moment I got that flashy bar I just cut loose:D.
    Good fortune with install.;)
    I also redid my slider door rubbers with talc & that freed it up more. Thanks to Malcolm Engineerings suggestion.