1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoration Plan - 76 Bay - comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DanSA, May 20, 2014.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Mine were brown too. So happy to get rid of them...

I tried your suggestion with the seal on the bottom right corner. Repacked it and lubricated it and voila! Pop out ok now. Not 100% but almost there. Thanks for the tip.

David H likes this.
  2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Picked up Percy from Adelaide Hills Panel Works, doors all done and windscreen in! Was so strange driving home (5 mins) being able to see out the windscreen - kep thinking it was missing - so clear! :)

He was in good company again, despite being worth 10% of the one on the left, he held his own I think:cool:

[​IMG]

Asked them to use their contact plastic that they have on a big roll, they did a good job i think, ready for door cards.

[​IMG]

New plugs and clips installed..

[​IMG]

Then got to work cutting the hole out for the vent (MDF already precut from TMI)

[​IMG]

And with some help from the lad - viola! 2 done in an afternoon...

[​IMG]

Thinking Im going to mount speakers in the kick panels - dont want to cut a hole in the door cards now! :oops:

Syncro27, Barry, OSF and 1 other person like this.
  3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Great result on the doors and cards. Really like that contact door liner. Much beter then the flimsy stuff from factory.
    Cards look great too. Definitely don't cut speaker holes. 4" speakers will fit ok in the kick panels.

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,
    They look superb & so genuine. Excellent result!:)
    Cheers

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Wow!

How quick were those door cards fitted and finished David? :p

Looks the goods Dan! Good stuff......:)

David H likes this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

That looks brilliant

Your resto has come up a treat

7. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Looks like a sweet ride. Keep it coming, I'm enjoying the journey with your Kombi.

8. David H

A lot quicker than mine Grantus. But Dan didn't have to 'work himself up' to do the underside of his body!:rolleyes:
    & make a mountain out of a molehill! To get the 'grunt' going.o_O.
    Cheers

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Finally got the sucker back in..

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

So, onto sound, tidying up dash wiring and mounting BT microphone that came with the radio for hands free calls (this Kombi will be safe and useable :rolleyes:..)

Rear 4" speaker removed, hole enlarged to accept new 6" Polk Audio speakers that are marine grade, so not bothered by rain and spills hopefully..

[​IMG]

Then onto the kick panels (couldn't face cutting into those lovely door cards) Found a 104mm holesaw in the shed, worked beautifully..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then back to the front for a bit more dynamat around the passenger side after removing washer bottle, again..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put some dacron (polyester wool) behind the top of the kick panel after refitting to aid with sound hopefully.

Still having intermittent issues with the hidden aerial, sometimes its crystal but after prodding around a bit it seems to have gone out again (poor reception) obviously a weak joint somewhere.. more prodding tomorrow.

Pics of finished install tomoz ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  11. David H

Good work Dan.;)
    2 different ways to renovate a bay. I like you've kept yours original.

We seem to be at the same point. I rewired the new stereo today that has adjustable colour in it's face so I can match my dash colour! Did that after grinding out the right size gap on that new paint. 2mm needed.

Just need someone smarter than me to be able to do the programming of the stereo!o_O Couldn't do it even with manual in hand! Must call on 20 yr old daughter to help!

You can see I just put a new 'old' aerial in. Seen too many problems with 'hidden' aerials.

Keep at it. Nearly done. Good on you!:D

Cheers,

12. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Arhhhhh, don't tell us that. I just got my old aerial holes welded up.

13. David H

Don't shoot the messenger!o_O
    See old threads or grantus.
    Cheers

14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Looking great !
    Just a tip on the plastic behind the door cards......there should be a secondary flap that tucks into the internals of door section itself....
    Idea is that it acts as a flashing, shedding any water that drips down between the window scrapers so that it doesn't weep into the back of the door cards.
    Quite often, this flap gets cut off/ripped when folks replace door cards 'cause it looks like a redundant piece........it aint ! ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

15. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks Mark.. If i end up taking them off in the future to inspect them Ill definitely add it. Makes sense for sure.

My radio does the colour thing too David, i found one pretty close to the dash Martini Olive colour , any luck finding Flipper Blue for yours?

Question on Speedometer operation. Is it purely a mechanical input for it to move? I ask , because since i have reconnected it, its not working which is odd as i haven't changed anything here. Assume there is no electrical input that could be causing an issue? Lights come on dsh etc ok.

Can only assume its not seating properly, or it has too tight a radius somewhere in the cable?

David H likes this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Yes. Only mechanical.
    Good chance not seated properly.
    Chelsea front passenger wheel centre hub. That is where the wheel drives from. Make sure the cir-clip has not come off or the hub has not rounded out.
    If not moving at all most likely not engaged prop

17. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Well that was a curly one! :confused:

After driving up and down the street 4 times, with it in and out , I could feel it was turning when out, but after reseating multiple times - no movement at all - not a twitter..

Then it dawned on me, what if the needle was stuck? Had a closer look and the needle is a V profile. It was impaled on the stop rest... must have happened when i cleaned out the instrument cluster!

[​IMG]

So... instrument cluster out again, separated and viola, the need was free! Now sitting on its rest as meant to be.. Back together, reconnect, go for a drive...

[​IMG]

Bingo! Its working. ;)

18. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Also sorted the reception issue. instead of coiling up the hidden aerieal i unravelled it and doubled it along the base of the nose full width, runs along the base behind the kick panels.
    Much better reception now - so don't worry OSF :rolleyes: Bluetooth and USB to phone also both working and Percy finally has a clock as a bonus.. :)

OSF likes this.
  19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You safe me the worry as well. The only issue I might have does a modern aerial work with a original radio? If all else falls shoot the messenger and move on. Glads it working fine .Its looking just as fine. Are they JK kick panels that your putting in there.

20. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Wayne - They are from the Bus Stop (C*J I Think) made of textured ABS Plastic. Tough and cleanable..
    Cant see why the aerial wont work with old radio, same plug etc. You'll just have to find a power source for it (the Model Two comes with one already) and a grounding point (i did on headlight ground)