1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoration Plan - 76 Bay - comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DanSA, May 20, 2014.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks mate, knew I had seen it some where...

Good vid here on all the functionality of the unit, just skip the first minute or so of banter, its pretty useful to see all the options and set up stuff.

2. Ben49

Ben49 Active Member

Dan, have a closer look at those specs. http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_list&c=209
    It does cover the Australian AM and FM bands no problem.
    There's a lot of rubbish written about audio systems, particularly car audio.
    It delivers 25 watts per channel RMS (Root Mean Squared: 'true' or continuous power) with a 4 ohm load - i.e. 4 ohms speakers. (You get maximum power transfer when the source is matched to the load.) Music isn't continuous - there are peaks and troughs and this will provide 45 watts Peak power (well, technically, Peak Power is RMS X 1.414 = 35.35 watts but I want to enjoy the music, not 'measure the millimeters'.)

Four channels at 25watts each is 100 watts of Beatle music. (Woo Hoo!) If I have problems hearing it, it's probably because a Kombi is not an ideal listening environment so I'd spend money on the van rather than a bigger audio system because I'd end up with a quieter ride and better insulation to boot - that, to me, is a better return on my investment of time and money. That's the way I'm thinking.

No, the Model Two comes with two USB inputs and two Aux inputs. I figure I'll only need one of each so I bought the extension cable (for one of them) just to provide a dash-mounted way of plugging stuff in rather than fiddling around with cables and plugs under the dash.

I bought the radio from VWHeritage (UK) https://au.vwheritage.com/shop/AC999RS001A/retro-sounds-stereo-model-two-black/#esp_pg=2 and bought the fascia / knobs locally. Why? The local supplier upped the price of the radio by about $90.00 in one move. Then I saw their USB extension lead on eBay for about $8 - $10 but they wanted $44.00 for the same thing (look under 'Accessories' on their site). Sorry, lost confidence in them. Bought the fascia and knobs from them because I could see what I was getting.

Shinier under-dash? Yeah, sometimes when I've had enough I just get a damp rag and clean something - wax 'n grease remover is good on stubborn spots and I feel like I've achieved something. Sunlight helps too! :)

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  3. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Well, things have progressed....

Ordered new door cards and sliding door interior trim panel in same off white vinyl (TMI) to match front seats. Also think i'm going to bite the bullet and get the stereo ordered so I can confirm the cutout size for the patch plate on the dash so it can be blasted and painted.

Its looking a bit different:
    [​IMG]

Before i take him in , im trying to fit the under dash tray I have had for 3 years but didnt fit due to the nose damage moving the fixing points. Want the guys to be aware that this must fit when it goes back together , so am doing a trial fit and making notes. Off course that means removing the handbrake frame etc, but that needs repainting anyways.. :)

[​IMG]

Dash came out today, and lots of wires that went nowhere from old alarms, spotlights etc also removed... Note the extra holes for aux switches. Think I may patch these to make it look a bit cleaner and original, switches (for LED lights and steroa) can be relocated elsewhere

[​IMG]

Instrument cluster: Did they all come with the hole for an aux light? Ours had a red light but never was connected to anything, previous owner said alarm maybe? Thinking if I will patch it ot leave it as it may be handly to have an indicato light if the fridge is on or similar...

[​IMG]

Sliding window and new windscreen seal arrived today from the Bus Stop :)

[​IMG]

That's about it.
    Any other things I should make note of or do before its off to the painter? Have taken a million photos and tagged disconnected wires. Also made note of bits that need replacing/ordering.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The instrument cluster on earlier models came with a brake warning light,till about 73. After that they did away with it but the hole remained, On my 76 SC ute it's got the same hole but there is also a plug that goes in there from Vw .I took mine out no part No I took some photos for you.
    Also You might have one but a hand brake lever boot is also needed.
    Another case Cooper lager might also needed ;)
    IMG_20161122_172637.jpg IMG_20161122_172708.jpg IMG_20161122_172717.jpg

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Need that trip speedo Wayne. Doesn't look right in a 76 cluster. Will happily relieve you of it. :D

6. Wayne murray

No I'll stick to what I have .Should have black face but wanted kms trip meter in it.The first one I found was that one:rolleyes:
    Or this MPH speedo better ;):cool:
    K75.JPG

Aspro likes this.
  7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Think you would have to have a metric in a 76??

8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Did some probing to see what was under the surface rust, not too bad i think??

Cab Floor inside:

[​IMG]

Sliding Door and arch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Just as i thought as i posted above about run a strip disc over the area to reveal whats underneath. Good to see its mostly only full of bog due to a previous bad repair.
    Your painter/panel beater guy should be able to sort that out pretty easily at a fair price.
    When you sand back the floor to clean up the bubbling rust you may find it get a few holes right through it.
    Looks like it might need a new piece of floor metal welded in if so, Make sure they use a pressed floor panel replacement section with the pressings in .
    Love the martine olive paint colour behind the dash area. real nice!!!

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks all.
    Wayne - Yes I have the boot, but its a little tired. Usual sources don't seem to carry them but will keep looking.

77kombisurfer - I have been pretty please so far with what I have found underneatr. Behind the dash also looking good so far with only a few spots that will need attention. Point noted on the floor, will look into sourcing parts if required.

Forgot this pic: Lets hope I can remember where it all goes.. :)
    [​IMG]

Kick Kombi likes this.
  10. Ben49

Ben49 Active Member

Parts of yours are in better nick than mine were. :( But I, too, have made progress.:)

BTW. I installed an extra door switch on the passenger side for the interior light. The hole was already there under a rubber bung. Ran the wire to the driver's side switch.
    Just a thought.

11. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Doesnt look too bad at all.

12. Wayne murray

Metric is in the 76 . The Blue is 72 which is mph

13. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Pulled the headliner yesterday as it was stained and needed to be replaced. Was expecting to see lots of surface rust , due to stain colour, but happily its good! :)

Stained lower section;

[​IMG]

Underneath:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have bought new black dot headliner from Volkstrim for my local trimmer to fit before the windscreen goes back in.

prone and David H like this.
  14. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Looks like new paint, i pulled the bullbar and bumper off my bus yesterday expecting rust but it was as solid as new.
    Bumper bolts were rusted bad so required vice grips to remove except one which broke the captive nut behind.
    What colour is your bus, is it wattle ?

15. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

No Martini Olive. Cant say it was ever my preference, would prefer Wattle , Blue or Orange, but the cards dealt us Percy, and he's been a good Bus.

I noticed the mild steel bolts they used to hold down the pop top at the front are all rusted , so will have to remove them and replaced with SS316 ones before headliner goes back. (note to self Dan)

Pomboy64 and Blunderbus like this.
  16. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, Your bus is identical to mine and I think your bus is Wattle. Martini Olive is much greener. Did you have a colour code sticker behind the passenger seat? CLR719 is Wattle.
    I am midway through my rebuild and have reached the stage of trim work and fit out. Hope to be finished b fore Bustop 2017.
    Good luck with yours.
    Craig

17. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

CLR622 is mine. Maybe the phone pics alter the colour?
    Good luck with finishing it off mate.

18. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

So I had and old can of Acrylic Martini Olive in the shed, so thought I would do a test to see if the family preferred colour or black dash. (Its all David H's fault...:rolleyes: )

Whilst the colour is slightly off (the sliding door cover plate used for reference), the consensus so far is to go colour, with black crescent air vent strips etc...

[​IMG]

I'm still in two minds. I love the colour being a bit retro and brightening up the cabin. Afterall its meant to be a fun car, not a boring one, so this is good. The only negatives I see are the purists may prefer black come resale (not planning on it for a long while) and it reminds me sometimes of how 17yr olds paint bits of their car and it looks a bit naff...
    From a practical perspective I image wera and tear will be similar, but may get more reflections onto windscreen in the sun?

Need to make a decision - goes to the panel shop tomorrow! :) :)

David H likes this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Dont worry about purists or resale.
    Pick what suits your eye.

The advantage for a satin black is it doesnt attract your attention or reflect when driving.

I think its a legal requirement to have a non reflective upper surface to prevent reflection to windscreen.
    A dash mat will fix that.

I usualy prefer the black ( unless its a creative and well executed alternative) but thats purely a personal preference.

20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Just to throw another option into the mix. I like the top of the dash black and the front coloured.

cbus likes this.