1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoration Plan - 76 Bay - comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DanSA, May 20, 2014.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Wow,
    Dan. Looks exceptional . Nice work. Here's to Christmas in the shed!!:) Got my rear interior stuff today.
    Cheers.
    David H

2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

He's back! :) What a Christmas present... :D

[​IMG]

Sliding door and rear 3/4 panel all like new :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This pic shows how well I think they matched the colour, on the left the old pain (not washed and waxed yet) and the right the new..

They scraped out all the old panel sealant and put in new.

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Kick Kombi like this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Gone from looking at a project rhat may be off the road for a year to major bits sorted and back before christmas.
    Got to be happy with that ;)

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Is that martini olive?

If it is - that is an amazing match.
    Very difficult that colour.

That said - it is my favourite colour

5. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Sure is. They have he code now if anyone else needs it.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Code or formula?
    If you cut the old paint first it should come up pretty close.
    Normal for old paint to be blacker from ingrained dirt or whiter from fade.

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Martini Olive just seems to be one of those colours that is a pr!ck to match.
    Even if you get it right - you go to Westfields and under the car park fluros it is way different

8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

They matched it to colour under the headliner that hadn't seeen UV. So now have a code for us to use when we do the rest of it down the track.
    No original formulas around now apparently.

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,
    I'm so pleased for you. Looks amazing & done so timely.
    Shed time for the break.:D enjoy!
    Have a great Christmas.
    I'm still stuck on that RHR window fitting.:(
    Total time for your resto? 3 months bar dash refit?
    Cheers & a very well conducted resto.
    Congratulations!
    David H

10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Didn't you get the new glass from The Bus Stop David? I know the other mob haven't come back, but was hoping this wouldn't hold you up? Bugga..

So, i picked off some of the low fruit this evening, really just as a way of getting my head around the best way to attack the reassembly. Thanks to MrBubblehead for his steps, fitted perfectly :)

[​IMG]

Then started to put the headlights back in, after getting new bulbs that got broken during blasting. Painted the screws that were a bit worn with silver galv, I know no one will see them, but at least Ill know they are good.

[​IMG]

Then, noticed the steering column shroud at the base didnt get painted, of course everything that is worn now sticks out like dogs balls, so off came the steering column for paint..
    Lucky find, as the coupling has definitely seen better days, will replace, and one bolt was loose too. Glad i found it now.

[​IMG]

Very enjoyable work now tho :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

A lot of work been done in a short period of time. With great results.:D Sure will keep you out of the house for a will. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year..
    Enjoy the sight and smell of it all.

12. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Looks so nice, seems a shame not to paint the seat runners and under the seats now. What do you think?

13. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Aspro- Thought about it but paint is in good nic, just discoloured from old glue. The extra cost was hard to justify.

Maybe in the future...

Got my priorities straight, got Percy working for his keep keeping the beer cold with the solar on the roof :)

[​IMG]

Syncro27, Aspro and David H like this.
  14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

OK, not being a camper owner, nor running solar panels, I do have to ask..........................

If you have a solar panel on the roof the keep the fridge inside cold, doesn't the solar panel work best when the bus is parked in full sun, which would counteract the effectiveness of trying to cool a fridge inside a very hot bus parked in full sun??? :eek:

Or am I missing something? :confused:

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    As pointed out by Ian ( kombi dad) its best to park in shade for comfort and run a remote unit for efficiency.

Orientation to sun is best kept within 15 deg of 90deg for best efficiency.
    It drops rapidly as you get away from that.

Advantages of a roof mount is its charging at least a % anytime you are parked in sun or assisting when travelling.
    Depending on use , this can be a useful amount to add/ extend to battery capacity or run the fridge on a regular basis or travelling.

Size of panel and consumption of fridge obviously the factors that affect .

Seems 24 amps per 24 hr is a common consumption for a 45litre waeco or similar.

5 peak sun hr is conservative summer radiation for mainland aussie.
    Efficiency for flat mounted panel across day maybe 25% of rated power_(major guess)

Assuming a 40 w panel. Dont want too much weight on poptop for lifting but double figure for an 80 or adjust accordingly if running a lighter flexible panel.
    40×5÷4=50 w.
    IF it is exposed to full sun all day. ;)

If the pictured fridge is a 3 way and pulls a constant 6 amps the equation changes somewhat to the negative :(
    But thats a different part of the issue.

Again 'yes, to a hotter ambient temp increasing power consumption.
    And importance of venting radiator area of fridge

16. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Should have clarified... ;)

When not camping or out running errands, Percy lives in the carport. The foldable 120w panels stay on the carport roof (in full sun) while Percy is in the shade. The panels keep the batteries full at all times and the fridge running if required. When we need to go out just unplug and drive - starts first time every time.

When we are camping the panels are on a 6m lead, so can be positioned on the ground and moved every few hours to maximise output. Percy will normally be in the shade of a gum tree.. Didn't want panels on roof due to weight, potential damage, bad angle for sun etc etc...

The fridge is a Waeco 80L and pulls 2.5A when running. The panels are 120W and can generate up to 6A on a sunny day, so keeps up fine. We have been out bush for 2 weeks with it running fridge, lights and stereo.

OSF and cbus like this.
  17. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

So, a paint question now.

Before I start to put the fixtures back in on the nose, I thought it would be a good idea to give it a good wax to help protect the paint. Much easier to do this now so i can get into all those tight areas before headlights, washer jects badge etc is on.

My question is - is it OK to wax the paint after just over a week of being done? It was 40 degrees yesterday, so its had a cook, plus what it got at the panel shop - assume should be OK?

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Assume its 2 pac.
    @ 25c it would be good to go after about 16 hrs theoreticaly.

After the hot day and extended time its well past full cure and all thinners gone.
    Sounds like it was oven baked at shop.
    Would be fine a few hrs after that.

Good idea to wax first.
    Saves trying to clean wax off rubber amd plastic ;)

19. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks mate. Just the info I was after. Should be able to fit this in before boxing day lunch at the rellies.

20. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I would agree with above cbus said. Get your elbow grease working before your wrist gets too much work(drinking);)