1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoration Plan - 76 Bay - comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DanSA, May 20, 2014.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Got the front all waxed using Meguiars NXT Wax, came up very nice - so smooth...

Couldn't leave the old pedal linkages and rod out, so they got rubbed back and painted too :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When disconnecting the accelerator cable , it fell into the 'bash plate', so that had to come off. Found a few lost screws, and a lot of sand, presumably from the sand blasting.. :)
    Also found this, which may help to explain the lack of hot airflow in winter?? What are some people thinking??? Its a male threaded adaptor in PVC, was just poked into the elbow, with about 10mm clr all round... Will new hose and connect properly..
    [​IMG]

Clamp and lever will need a clean and repaint too, aforementioned sand in foreground..
    [​IMG]

Pomboy64 likes this.
  2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

On the pic above. It appears that the cable end dogleg goes in the hole in the plate. From what I can tell the screw is not used for this. Is it for something else?

Edit:
    Just became very obvious what the screw is for when I was underneath.
    It's a set screw for adjusting throttle position I think?

3. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Bit of an update, made some progress today I think..

Sliding door fitted along with cover plate and seal.. Great help KC on the seal, I had it the wrong way round, 1hr later... ;)
    ( I fine tuned it a bit after this pic, the lip doesn't stick out as much now on the left)

[​IMG]

Got the fresh air vent flaps fitted after repainting.

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure if it was meant to be this way, but i blanked the 2 holes in the box as I thought it was another place moisture may leak into the cabin.
    Was there meant to be something else here originally? (on the right of the vent in the pic below)

Closed:

[​IMG]

Open:

[​IMG]

Fitted the washer jets and wiper blanks;

[​IMG]

Grill trial fit with new insect mesh:

[​IMG]

Dash trial fit, loving the colour;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted ambulance fans, and other minor electrical ready for more dash fitting tomorrow...

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,
    Looking great!:D
    Love the dash & I bet you do too.
    Somebody else started dash colour long before me but it's such the right thing you'd have to wonder why they didn't come that way.:)
    Good job on the slider seal & I liked you looked up KC for the answer & got it.
    When you go to 'tuck' the edge of new 'under seat covers' under the bead send me a PM. If you've already stuck them down it'll be a slippery experience.o_O
    Bet you get eager to get to the shed each morning. I can feel it, taste it, been a goal long time coming. I just want to break into my PB's & steal my bus back so I can put the interior in.:rolleyes:
    Excellent job.
    Cheers,
    David H

Miss Rosie likes this.
  5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Car is coming along nicely there. Question about sliding door rubber .Why should the flap stick out at all,As mine doesn't the larger lap on mine is at the rear of the car? Don't what cause any problems but just ask. I do still like the work progress on your car .Keep up the good work.

6. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Wayne.
    I followed Mordreds advice in one of the threads in Bay tech. Seems to suggest that flap protubes slightly to divert water away from door opening. May need to fine tune.
    Hope I don't need to take it out and refit a third time!
    Shuts fine and looks right. Will check.

7. Wayne murray

I'd thought I ask if you are happy with the way it works.All good with me. I agreed more with what KC member wayno said and that the way my two are . Like mentioned if you're happy everything works .It could be that there are slightly different rubbers and how they all sit.

8. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Great paint job, he's looking awesome a great way to do a resto without having the kombi off the road for years, I think I should have done it this way. How long do you think from start to finish?

9. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Wow. Gone above and beyond expectations. Colour and paint look amazing. Good job all round.

10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks for the kind words all, but remember this is only a part resto (so far) The rear panels, and roof need doing at some point, and the interior in the back needs work - however it has definitely got me inspired to take it all up a level now. The motor is running really well, but will need some love at some point too.

The paintwork is great, but i guess you get what you pay for. So far with this Stage 1 I would have dropped 12k I think, mostly on panel work (worst done now) , paint, and new bits. We paid around the same for the Percy nearly 4 years ago, but looking at current prices don't think we have over invested yet. Not looking to make any money, just don't want to loose too much if we ever had to sell - hopefully not for a good few years yet.. Im really enjoying my time in the shed tho, great break from normal work. :)

Have to say the exploded ETKA diagrams from Bert have been invaluable when seeing how things go back together and correct fasteners to use. Will try and upload them when i get time for others to use if OK with mods?

Pomboy64 and Miss Rosie like this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Thats a definate for exploded diagrams ;)
    Might need to be a mod post if its too big?
    And a well titled sticky so people can find it.

Pomboy64 likes this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Considering a modern car drops $4k a year at least - you are doing well

More importantly you know you kombi
    you know what has / hasnt been done.
    What is clean and what needs work

What you have done is brilliant

Aspro and Pomboy64 like this.
  13. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks, and good point on depreciation - make me feel better :)

Still doing wiring before final dash install to check everything is connected OK while its easy to access. Running the ambulance fan connecting loom and I have a yellow untagged connector.. Bugga. :eek:
    Looks like it is meant to plug into the fuse box or the multi pin block? Other end is to the fan switch on dash...

[​IMG]

Cleaned instrument cluster inside and out, came up good, and repainted the blanking plate that houses the clock on some models (scratched and faded) Was going to replace the instrument bulbs with LED but I think now its all clean, it should be OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Well, if in doubt, search the diagrams! I'm not a sparky by any stretch, but think I may have solved it?

[​IMG]

If so, I assume i just need to find Fuse number 7 and plug it in?

15. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

The coloured dash is looking awesome.

16. Wayne murray

I say you would be correct with that yellow wire to fuse box.Dash really coming along nicely ,it makes a big difference in colour from black.

David H likes this.
  17. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Some more progress despite life getting in the way..
    Our chooks got mites, so I spent yesterday in 38deg clearing out whole chook yard, bedding, nesting box,, poo trays, the lot.. lovely work and think I have finally got the mites off me - i hope... Annoying delay tho, and now need to build another chook coop - like I needed another project... :(

Electrics almost complete and tested before dash going back in fully. Just waiting on new wiper shaft seals and washers, but wipers tested OK so far. Also waiting on steering coupling before finishing off on the floor area.

Was hoping to fit upper section of dash with lower section in, but didnt work, so out it came again, bolted the 3 pieces together as one before refitting as one. All good.

[​IMG]

Ashtray housing repainted and fitted. Holes patched and painted in tray with new gearshift decal.
    [​IMG]
    Stereo trail fit in the new dash cutout - it fits - phew... :) Hope to wire up today...

[​IMG]
    Also finally got the under dash storage in, after 3 years of it being in the shed due to nose being bent.. Great for catching bolts and tools when working on the dash area - and somewhere for coffee! :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  18. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Work's ramping up = less Kombi time :(

Made a decision to drop cab doors at panel shop with all new seals, scrapers clips etc for them to fit. Once ready i'll drive round , less doors, and bolt them on. Will do the rest of the door refurb at home, cards, wipers, handles, speakers etc..

19. Wayne murray

I must say that is coming up better everytime I see it,with the progress you're making. Radio good as well I put one in my 72 microbus when I done it 5 years ago
    May I mention the handbrake handle going to be adjusted to sit horizontal or good as is.

With the chook shed does everything need to be destroyed to get rid of the mites or you just pesticide everything .

20. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,
    Looking so good. Best for beater to do door scrapers etc. It's a really frustrating job!:mad: Very finicky!
    You really are moving up to the 'next level'.
    We'll have to PM re costs on our renos!!!
    Used to have bantams who once got mites. Just turned them upside down & dusted them & they were gone! (the mites...not the chooks!):) No need to destroy all! The dust goes back into the shed with them & solves the inside problem!
    Re work... yeah I started back today & just need a rego cert from beater by Thurs!
    Again...yours looks great. Is your partner ( & kids) happy with dash colour?
    Cheers,
    David H