1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoration Plan - 76 Bay - comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DanSA, May 20, 2014.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks guys.

Radio knobs not working as expected currently, think I need to adjust the sleeves as they only index clockwise/anti-clockwise and then return back to previous position.. ie you can't turn then round in a continuous motion.. This is making using it very difficult! :cool:
    The seller did say he had to file a few of the rear knobs as the pinch the spindle too tight. Like most things huh - designed to almost work ;)

Rear speaker wires run thru drivers side A pillar (fun job that!) much better than having them under the carpet like before.

Tested to 12V powered aerial and seems to work well. I'm currently running the cable up the inside of the PAX A pillar, and thinking about mounting it under the headliner using the interior light grounding point I think. If it fails tho this means I need to access the headliner, so may not be the best idea. will ponder some more...

Handbrake handle just in temp with a screw as i often need to take it off to play around with fitting under trays etc.. Fortunately carport in flat so it doesn't go anywhere with it off..

My glove box (ABS plastic from Bus Stop) fitted first time, lot better than original that's for sure :)

Lots of comments from family and friends on the dash - so glad we chose the split colour option - thanks to OSF I think, for suggestion!

Wiper spindle seals arrived today, so can finish them too, along with new dash air vents to top off the dash :) Also got new indicator lenses as old ones have a lot of cracks. Got clear to see what they look like with the Martini Olive.

I also got an Electric washer bottle kit from the Bus Stop. Never had working washers since owning the Kombi, so thought now was the time. Anyone installed one of these? no instructions, but have asked.
    http://www.thebusstop.com.au/busstore/products/29/901/electric_washer_bottle_kit_68-79/

Finally - on the chooks, my daughter and I dusted them the other night while on the roost - grap, invert, dust and return.. She did a great job , and they seem to be a lot better. I got rid of all the bedding, so just need to make another nesting box soon. Thanks for the tips tho peeps.

2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Purists look away...
    I quite like the clear, allows you to focus on the Martini better, but doesn't look so period perhaps.

We shall see... Either way, perfect fit and good quality (Bus Stop)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan

Kick Kombi and Syncro27 like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,
    I rather like the white lenses. Suits the front. Nice clean look.
    I'm doubting my choice:confused:. The blue would look so clean with no orange!
    Is this repay for dash colour?;) Thanks!:p
    Cheers,
    David H

4. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

agree with David. Not ususlly a fan of clear lenses but they work well against the Martini olive

5. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

The family voted, clear it is..

Easy to swap back if we want a change and at least they are crack free..

David H likes this.
  6. David H

Hi Dan,
    I showed your photo to my wife & daughter & they both went 'orange'. Shit ..I'm sorry for the household dissent. We're normally united but it seems the littlest thing can be the 'biggest call'!:):D
    Your call good. Involved the family. Good choice! (obviously mine can't tell s**t from clay!:rolleyes:)
    Looks like I've got to live with orange & you get the new 'free range' (yeah ..that's a chook reference!) clear ones. I was trying to help them decide 'clear' for our bus that was good. Nuh! 2 thumbs down 1 up :(
    Bugger!
    I'll try again later to see if i can get a different response!:D
    Cheers,
    David H

7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi David H: Next time you just need to put clear on and say nothing.Know they know about it and makes things harder for you in the future. Just buy them and put them on will they notice to much:confused:o_O best of luck with it.
    I'm still sitting on the fence which I like .I do normally lean to the orange but one of each it's harder to decide.o_O

David H likes this.
  8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Not too much progress this week, some small things;

New dash vent tops installed, old ones were grey and deteriorated;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Glove box back in complete with OEM button top ;)

[​IMG]

Underseat mats offered up, prior to gluing;
    [​IMG]

Electric washer bottle kit fitted, just need to wire back to box and ground;

[​IMG]

Didn't want to drill the new painted dash, so managed to make use of the cigarette lighter housing we had but never used or had the internals.. Will do for now;

[​IMG]

lastly, bumper back on, and badge;

[​IMG]

Clear was the right choice :)

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

In the pic above - have I got the bumper on upside down or are the holes there for spotlights?
    Can't remember which way it was before....

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

your very first picture on page 1 is no holes

guessing upside down

11. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks Barry..
    Unless I had it upside down in the first place.. :confused:

12. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Holes are meant to go underneath as drain holes.

13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I've had the same glove box button for the last 6 years !
    'Reckon it looks great in an Oz bus !!
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Definitely Mark..

We have steering again! The horn works too :)

[​IMG]

David H likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Surprising how many people are driving on steering like that.
    Worthwhile safety check. ;)

16. andrew

andrew Active Member

looking fantastic!

17. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks Andrew - your build thread was one that inspired me to pull the pin and do it - so glad I did.

Has anyone got a pic of their lower short heater cable and how it is clamped to the heater riser please? Highlighted in the pic below;

I have a clip, but think maybe its from a different model and would be helpful to see others. Ta

[​IMG]

18. David H

19. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks David. I see I even commented on them before. Memory like a sieve. ...

20. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That's all coming along very sweet Dan,

The patience required to make a nice buss like that is well beyond my ability.