1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring a new awning (I'm sick of fixing brand new crap)

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by rstucke, Jan 26, 2019.

1. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I was on the scout for an awning since about July last year. Looked at a number of different makes on 4wheel drives (they're every where). Conclusion, they're all a bit flimsy and the fittings and channels are pretty much all the same (some better than others but thin and weak). A mate had a Kings awning which failed, the poll hinge ripped out of the channel (after the horizontal poll end spike tore through the channel from the rope that goes around that piece being pulled down to a peg in the ground). Unfortunately those bits are the same on all the awnings I checked out.
    The idea is to use the awning for when we spend a few days away (less clutter inside Blitz) and take a drive away tent for longer trips and stays.
    I started reading reviews and kept looking.
    In November I cam across this review

https://www.4x4awning.com.au/4x4-awning-reviews/

a few years old, but the Tough Toys (4th one down) blurb caught my eye which lead to this glowing article.

https://www.4x4awning.com.au/4x4-awning-reviews/tough-toys-tough-led-awning-review/

Solid alloy knuckles, reflective surface on the canvas, much cooler underneath, stronger.
    I bought this one in December.

When it came I spent a few days making stainless brackets and packers and fitted it to the pop top.
    Kym and I were invited to a family Christmas pudding making event in Richmond, a tradition for the extended family of friends of ours that live far and wide. The heritage house was full of visitors and this aslo being a drinking event we took the kombi and parked it on the back lawn. this would be the first time the awning would be rolled out.

a.jpg b.jpg b2.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

Not happy
    Flimsy channel, rubberised plastic knuckles that collapsed into a z shape over night and threatened to pull out of the polls. no reflective surface on the canvas and I'd payed more than double the price of a cheapie (which this one looked like except for the name on the cover). The cheapie was actually better in that it had hard plastic knuckles that didn't do what mine did.
    Ripped off again.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Syncro27, David H and 76kampa like this.
  2. rstucke

e.jpg e2.jpg f.jpg g.jpg

You get the idea from the pics above.
    So here we go again, spend another week fixing this shit.
    I've already put longer spikes in the horizontal poles, the crappy little ones are in the second pic

Syncro27 and 76kampa like this.
  3. rstucke

I rang Tough Toys who got the distributor/importer/(what ever) to ring me.
    He explained that the aluminium knuckles tended to crack and also rip out of the channel when the wind came up. So this was their solution?
    I didn't bother asking him what happened to the reflective surface on the canvas.
    He did offer a refund, but as I'd already started to modify the thing and considering the brackets and number of bolts holding this thing to spread the load over the pop top I declined.
    So here's some pics of the mods

h.jpg h2.jpg i.jpg j.jpg k.jpg k2.jpg l.jpg m.jpg

Syncro27, David H, 76kampa and 2 others like this.
  4. rstucke

I fixed the horizontal poll knuckles the same way and added a cambered ridge poll with an extra down poll as 2.5 metre span is a bit much and the aluminium extrusion was bending a bit under its own weight.
    The whole lot still fits in the bag.

n.jpg p.jpg p2.jpg q.jpg

Barry, David H, 76kampa and 1 other person like this.
  5. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Given me some ideas on mine. We bought the cheapish one and there are minor build issues. I can see some similar modifications coming up.

David H likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hope you've got a welder & a workshop wombat;).
    Yeah ....I remember:confused: you've got the side annex carport going:(.
    Rick is a hard act to follow. Just wants it right x 2 !
    Cheers

7. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

That’s a shame rstucke. I agree it looks like a quality unit at first glance. Awnings have a big surface area for the wind to act on. The trick for designers is to make this one strong enough to take it, but still light enough it doesn’t pull the van over when stowed! Your mods look really good, compact and strong.

8. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

The cheap awnings you can get off E/Bay are not to bad I paid $150 for mine 6ft x6ft from memory , well made but not designed for kombi campers so some modification of hang brackets was required, used it last weekend in a steady wind with out tie down pegs ,was ok . would suspect that some of the camping shops buy the same and sell them with a heavy mark up . Any one wanting one ,search on E/Bay before you buy one ,do a comparison check first ,could save you heaps of $.

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Nice work.

I am a little concerned about my $170.00 3m x 3m awning but it has no bits pulling apart yet.

chris taylor likes this.
  10. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

Are you able to post a picture the packer between the back of the awning and the pop top? I need to angle my awning down a bit and need some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

11. rstucke

I used a 10mm thick packing on the straight section on the Supro poptop the bit that accommodates the scissor hinge. That allowed me to make a bracket either end.
    The poles that come out horizontally from there need to be modified at the knuckle to allow them to swing down. I made them hinge there. Others have modified the channel they bolt in with extension sections so they naturally droop down when swung out.
    Don't have any pics of the packing or the other part of the bracket.

b2.jpg

Burnstar likes this.
  12. chris taylor

I did this to begin with but it had a tendency to drag the side of the canopy down so { dare I say it }took it of there and attached it to the body via two home made brackets taking all the necessary precautions to prevent corrosion ,used heavy duty aluminium pop rivets with a plastic spacer between the bracket and body all good so far,and solid.
    Re- the knuckles had to grind them off to get the proper swing and with the body brackets shaped them to get the awning housing to sit straight instead of leaning Backwards.
    You can also drill extra holes on top of annex housing where the axle for the knuckles are ,that way the knuckles can be sloped forward a tad allowing the annex support poles to do the same .
    worked for me and also looks good as well.
    Some where on one of these forums is pics that I downloaded RE the brackets .

Burnstar and Syncro27 like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

14. chris taylor

G/day Barry
    Yep that's it ,
    I remember now …..,I made up those little plates from a lump of aluminium that I had laying around ,by using those and grinding the knuckles back I was able to fit the awning on to the pop top and have the awning coming out flat ,not poking up in the air ,then I found the weight of the awning was pulling the pop top down on that side, so that's when I decided to make new steel brackets and fit it to the body rather than the pop top, the other thing I found was, with the top up you had trouble doing any adjustments to the awning, unless you were 8 ft tall .As it is now its about 6ft of the ground and that is ok for me ,but to each his own i reckon, anyhow I hope that this info may be of some help.
    Cheers Chris

15. chris taylor

i think there is photos somewhere on one of these sites just cant remember where so took a few more photos. the photos are not to good but you will get the idea. The awning is attached to the brkt as you would do attaching it to a pack rack or anything else with the bolts supplied.

View attachment 44498 View attachment 44499

16. rstucke

saw this on a bay window kamper yesterday at Tumbi
    Maybe this is what your looking for
    I'm tall so the awning on my pop top is exactly what I need compared to this one.
    And it works great since the mods.

IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  17. chris taylor

have to admit they are pretty damn good mate, well done ,they really look the part,might have to re- do mine .yours do look solid ,thoser bolts go right through ?

18. rstucke

I think they are Fiama brackets
    I'll check tomorrow if the bolts go through

19. chris taylor

thanks rstucke

20. rstucke

The brackets use 6mm set screws that go into Rivnuts, so they don't go right through.[​IMG]