1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right rear tail light not working and fuses blowing.

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Travelbug73, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Travelbug73

Travelbug73 New Member

I just bought my first kombi, 1978 Bay window 2l. All the lights work except the rear number plate light and right rear brake light and driving light. I have tried the globe on the left side light fitting and the globe is working. I have also done a continuity test and seems ok although the light on my tester didn't shine up as bright when I tested the right rear brake light fitting.

The second fuse from the right hand side of the fuse box blows as soon as I fit a new fuse even when ignition is off but i'm not sure that this is affecting the brake light and any help with why this would keep blowing would be very helpful.

Could somebody take a photo of the inside of the rear right light fitting so I can check that mine is wired up correctly?

I also was reading about wires being loose on the brake booster causing a problem. I had a look under the front where the brake pedal comes through the floor and found what looks like a brown earth wire not connected to anything. Wondering if somebody knows where this wire should connect up to and if it has anything to do with my brake light not working?
    Capture.PNG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

The wire in your pic. is the earth wire for your horn.
    It comes down through the steering column and earths at the flexible steering coupling bolt.
    Nothing to do with your brake lights.
    Only connections near the brake booster will be attached to the brake light sender, that is screwed into the Master cylinder.
    Re-the blowing fuse....have you checked that it is at the correct rating ?
    cheers,
    Mark

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

That wire is as oldman has said :rolleyes: the horn. Which shouldn't be working either.
    The right rear brake light is running of the same fuse as the horn.fuse 12. You have a short some where, which may be why the fuse keeps blowing,as it sounds like that's what you have. Fix the horn wire.
    Is it a 16 amp red fuse that is blowing or have you got a 8 amp white fuse in that location.
    If fuse 11 keeps blowing turn signals are on that.
    Booster doesn't have wires on it.it's the master cylinder that has brake light switches on it.

4. Travelbug73

Travelbug73 New Member

Where is the Master Cylinder located?

Yes its the correct rated fuse and I also tried a higher rated fuse and that blew straight away as well.

5. Wayne murray

Master cylinder is bolted onto the booster under the front near the beam. Rear right taillight backing wires off a 76 kombi. IMG_20190608_112655.jpg

photo of fuse box
    IMG_20190608_112913.jpg
    steering connection
    IMG_20190608_113057.jpg

tintop, David H and TeeBee like this.
  6. galp

galp Member

had a similar problem on my 65 split rear taillight but only on one side,
    as previously eluded to each side has a separate circuit and it ended up being the park light globe inside the front headlight cocked sideways making a short!
    good luck

David H and oldman like this.
  7. Travelbug73

Travelbug73 New Member

Hello thanks for all the help.

I cleaned the connections on the brake booster and now both my brake lights are working.

My right rear tail light and number plate lights are still not working. There is a loose white wire with a red stripe in the same bunch of wires that go to the right rear light fitting that when attached to the tail light fitting the brake light permanently comes on even with the ignition off which is strange cause its the same globe.

The previous owner has wired up the horn to a new button on the dash so I am guessing he was having trouble with the horn wiring on the steering column and that's why the brown wire under the bus steering column is no longer connected up. I reckon he must have had trouble with the fuse blowing continuously and just decided to wire up a new horn wire. This fuse still blows as soon as you put a new fuse in number 11 fuse holder.

I still don't have the right rear tail light, the number plate light and reverse lights working although they all pass a continuity test.

Once again thanks for all the help.

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Do you have a multimeter?
    Know how to use a voltmeter?

You need a manual that tells you what you fuses are for future reference.

Do you have one?

You might be able to find a wiring diagram here but looking on my phone I couldn’t find one with a legend.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

If you don’t have a manual pm me you email and I can send you a pdf version

9. Wayne murray

The reverse lights on a different circuit to the rest of your issues. The switch is on the left hand side of the gearbox and there is or should be a inline fuse in the engine bay,most likely near the coil.
    Fuse 11 you have a wire from the ignition on it
    Emergency switch
    oil pressure warning light .
    Have you tried the left tail light globe in the right side and vica versa to eliminate the globe. Checked the earth for the right tail light on the D pillar just on the inside of the engine bay. Take it off clean put back on.
    The rear tail lights and licence plate light are connect the wire comes from the rear tail light is piggy back onto the licence plate light in grey/red trace wire #58.It also comes from fuse 2. The earth for both of these are connected to the D pillar on the right hand side of engine compartment. There is also a earth on the back of the globe holder on both sides.
    The black wire with red trace #54 is your brake lights which has couple of wires one coming from the brake light switch and piggy back to the left hand side.
    Make sure your globe sockets is clean and that all wire connections are clean and have good contacts.
    The horn wire being modified doesn't have any thing to do with the fuse 11 blowing. as horn is on fuse 12.
    Fuse 11 and 12 are connected on the underside non fuse side to gain power .
    It is difficult to find a gremlin that has been changed from previous owners,What they have done or not to try solve these issues. Sounds like you may have multi able issues.
    You have to eliminate things as you go. Globes for example. Best of luck.

David H likes this.