1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock and Roll bed.

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Rosscoe, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Hi, we are considering converting our kombi to a 4 seater, it is only complianced for 2. We have a rock and roll bed in the car which had seat belts, the previous owner used the bed as a seat for passengers, not a great idea considering it only being a 2 seater. We spoke today to and engineer and was informed of the approximate cost being around 3k, which does not include an ADR approved bed, or hardware, or the seat belts, this is for the plate, report and installation. He mentioned getting a bed from somewhere that has the seat belts attached to the bed so they wont need to be attached to the vehicle itself, is anyone aware of this type of Rock and Roll bed, I have not seen one like this, have only seen the belts attached to the car itself. I doubt very much if our bed would be ADR approved as it only has the hinges attached to some MDF. I also thought the cost was rather high. I would install myself, under his guidance of course, if I could buy the bed for a reasonable price and have the report done after. What are your thoughts.
    Second hand would be fine as long as ADR approved

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

JK sell an ADR compliant rnr.
    All seat belts are mounted in the factory positions, so no additional fixing points required.
    Only extras needed would be two seat belt risers for the lhs & rhs passengers....middle passenger is a lap belt only.
    Malcolm Engineering produce these risers at a very reasonable cost.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Sounds like youve got an original early vw camper rock an roll seat fitted which came out in them from new.
    Theres been plenty of posts on adr approved beds/ seats in kombi if you search here but im sure some one will link up a forums review on them.
    Your engineer sounds like hes going to supply a seat thats universal for any vans that wants a back seat that folds flat.
    Basically, theres two companies that have built a rock an roll seat specifically for kombis which are one from justcampers in sydney an kustom kombi in qld. Check those two out an take that information to him before you purchase one.

http://www.kustomkombi.com/category-s/1827.htm

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t...967-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979-vw-t25-1979-1992.html
    P.s. the frames arent two expensive but buying the foam rubber an getting it trimmed can put you up too over $2000 if you pay some one to do the work for you.
    Cheers chuck

TeeBee, Wayne murray and Rosscoe like this.
  4. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Thank you Mark and Chuck, much appreciated for your information, i'll get on to both companies and see what they have, thank you again.

oldman likes this.
  5. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

With a bit of luck I might be able to use the foam rubber that I already have on the bed,.

David H likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Just check behind the front seats to see if there is another compliance plate other than the rego one;) before the next move.
    Cheers

TeeBee likes this.
  7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

It has been coming up around the traps lately, but I think it should be clarified. These "ADR approved" seats aren't as a stand alone unit. They CAN be ADR accepted as complying with ADR compliant once installed in a specific car and signed off by an engineer FOR THAT VEHICLE but aren't automatically an ADR approved bed. As in if you get one from another vehicle and whack it in it does not automatically mean it is ADR compliant until it is once again checked by an engineer.

Long story about ADR approval but it involves much destructive testing, inspection and licencing fees etc so it would not be practical in the volumes being made to do this, but the engineered route is accepted. The guys selling them have done their homework and supply components that can be made to comply but as they are not fitting them it needs an inspection once fitted.

Adrian

Rosscoe, Mr Beckstar, melissa and 4 others like this.
  8. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have just got out of hospital, I got a new knee lol, there are no other plates that I can find. I tried contacting Kustom Kombis last Wednesday, have had no reply from them, I also spoke in person to an engineer near where we live, he was going to get back to me, that was last Tuesday. Bit slack I reckon.

omelette81, Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  9. David H

Chase him down with that new knee;). It could do with the movement:).
    Cheers

10. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Haha, that ain't gunna happen lol. At least I now have time on my side to sort some stuff out. I know I shouldn't but I get annoyed when businesses don't reply to their own online query pages/forms

Mr Beckstar and omelette81 like this.
  11. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Jamie at Kustom Kombi does get back to you eventually , hes just very busy an is slow at replying.

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  12. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

13. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Thank you mate, ill keep trying to raise him and have a chat about the beds, thank you again and to everyone that took the time to talk to me.

Cheers
    Rosscoe

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Thank you rstucke much appreciated for your info....

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  15. David H

Sounds like Kustom Kombi R & R bed worth the frustration of the wait Rosscoe;)!
    Cheers

Rosscoe and Mr Beckstar like this.
  16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

They are great. Solid seats. Love mine.

Rosscoe and Mr Beckstar like this.
  17. Rosscoe

Rosscoe Member

Thanks guys, I think I will wait for Kustom Kombi's. It was a toss up whether I get a side car for the Harley and then the bed, seems the other way round might win out. Does any of you know if the beds come with all mounting hardware as well?

18. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Got mine about 6 years ago...all boards and hardware included...ordered with full width foam (some people get a cutout for spare wheel). Jamie must have gotten busy since then...because I remember a couple of emails back and forth (including fitting instructions) ... all went well including freight to Canberra