1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock & Roll Bed Help

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Elsie 76, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Active Member

Hi, I've had my seats redone at a trimmer and went for cloth inserts. My '76 Sopru has a R & R Bed and I am having difficulty laying it flat from the seat position. Is there a knack or technique to converting from seat to bed? Thanks
    Craig

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Recall some others having similar issue ...... may be hinges too stiff or trying to do it at the incorrect angle or something is catching somewhere :rolleyes:

3. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Active Member

Thanks KK, yeah it should just be a simple lift and lock, but it won't release and lie flat. I'll keep plugging away and hopefully have some success.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Think its usual lift front and back edges toward centre about 6 inches to unlock then it will release to go flat

5. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Active Member

Thanks Cbus, I'll keep playing with it.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Is it clicking when you fold it 'closed'?
    Once it does that ,keep in semi closed position with base up a bit and bring base foward.
    Once base foward drop back into horozontal position.
    Think that's how I do it.

Depending what mechanism you have, sometimes sides bend and pins don't disengage.
    Check visualy for this.

7. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

My '76 Sopru has a part of the rh hinge (driver's side) that must be pressed up before the seat will lay flat. If you still have trouble let me know and I'll take some photos.

tom

8. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Active Member

Thanks Tom, by the way the awning I picked up from you earlier in the year works a treat.
    Craig

tomhic likes this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Craig,
    Worst case ......when you move the base into the vertical position & it won't lay down via clicking..........put your head into the vertical base (to take the load off the latch) & then feel both mechanisms & there is a tab at the back that you just need to flick upwards or towards (it's just to the outer middle side of each seat mechanism) the front of the car. Flick it forward (or up) towards the front. It will then lay back & extend into the bed.
    This is called "using your head" as both hands are busy locating the latches!
    After last reupholstrey it took 5 years before the hinges wanted to 'talk' to me again so I used the above to lure them back to the fold of action!
    Mines been a bit random over the years. Always does the 'bring up to verical with base' not always so good on making it flat. I think it forgets the number of 'clicks' required or maybe I do. It does have a process about what it does. First locked then half movement back to unlock & lay. You can hear the response of the latches if they're working, a double click drop into place. If drinks have been had & your memory/body fails just use your head!
    You let part of the car go somewhere else & have another experience & didn't expect it'd need retraining when it got back home?
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  10. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

My Rock N Role bed had a similar problem.. Mucked around for ages with the latches to no avail.
    Finally worked out the ply base of the seat had been screwed to far back on the hinge ( there were multiple holes choices in the ply wood base) I Slid the seat base forward about 20mm, re-screwed and it worked... Beautiful...

11. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Active Member

SUCCESS!! I combined all the advice and went straight out to Elsie, fiddled with her bits and R&R dropped back flat. The locking plate did not come up and had to be lifted manually on both sides. Thanks everyone for your help. See photo below.

image.jpeg

David H and cbus like this.
  12. kalamunda

kalamunda Member

Good job and nice looking upholstery.
    Love the color of your Kombi :)

I have found one common issue with quite a few of the older bed-seat hinges.
    The pin breaks over years of use and you have to remove the upholstery to locate the problem.
    Photo provided.
    bedhinge copy.jpg bedhingebreak.jpg

Elsie 76 likes this.
  13. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Active Member

Thanks, yep, same as your Kombi "Wattle" I had to eye match it because the formula wasn't available anymore and the spectro match was too dirty and had too much yellow oxide in it. I want to maintain to older seventes theme of yellow and brown. Cloth inserts make it a little more comfortable and a bit less sticky in the warmer weather.

14. kalamunda

kalamunda Member

Looking over the photo you have provided, your kombi looks like a good one. Wattle is my favourite, so I could be biased.
    Personally, I have found Harts Industrial Paint Supplies in Geebung - Brisbane are very good at matching paint.
    Mine is a 3/76 model with the paint code CLR 719(still on the sticker behind seat)
    Harts color code was 12102016 - not sure if this is a new "Universal" code to replace CLR 719 or not
    . HartsWattle.jpg

15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That colour code looks suspiciously like the date you bought the paint...

oldman, David H, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I have to agree! :D (Well spotted Mel!)

Coincidence perhaps? :rolleyes:

17. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

I have to manually click the hinges which is a real pain as the bed is as wide as my full arm stretch. I usually get Andy to do it!

Elsie 76 likes this.
  18. kalamunda

kalamunda Member

Yes, you would appear to be correct here melissa and was well spotted.

Silly me - thinking it would be an identification code in case I needed to order more ! :eek:

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Now that would have been an interesting result!!! ;)

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

But if you went to buy more Wattyl colour for "Reg's VW" from the SAME outlet, there's a chance, they may still have the colour formula on record, from the sale on 12 October 2016. ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016