1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocker cover gaskets

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by David H, Mar 15, 2019.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Where do the best ones come from?
    What time or mileage is expected from them?
    I understand replace if cover removed.
    Thanks
    Cheers

2. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

David if you are chasing some good ones I have some, I replaced them every time that I adjusted the valve clearances or removed the covers for any other reason. Normal adjustment interval is 10.000km but with the unleaded issues I found we were adjusting then at around 5000km if the owner didn't use the valve saver. But I am not going into another saga about hard seats etc, just saying what I experienced in my workshop.

3. David H

Sold;) ....as many as you have Les & when you run out where will I get the good ones from?
    Is there a time limit given low mileage? Do they need heat thru them occasionally to stop from leaking early?
    My mechanic said that as I have newer heads the seat base is not as wide & the new gaskets are crap. Unleaded F/I heads from Tooleys 12 yrs ago.
    Cheers

4. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Cork gaskets are best from my limited experience. I put Hylomar on the rocker cover side of the gasket. Clean up both surfaces of course. Never had one leak doing it that way.

David H likes this.
  5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

David I will contact you when I get back home, when I fit them I clean the covers well and make sure that they are dry then a run of contact cement around the cover ( make sure it doesn't run into the cover) fit the gasket and ensure it is stuck in place, then fit the cover onto the bottom lip of the head, centre it and carefully slide the clip into position, then check the cover is sitting correctly. 45 years and a squillion gaskets fitted and 1 leak -the cover was warped.
    Most of the quality gaskets are a rubberised cork construction and don't shrink like the plain cork ones.

deger and Mr Beckstar like this.
  6. David H