1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof racks

Discussion in 'Body' started by Petra, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Petra

Petra Member

Has anyone fitted roof racks on either side of a camper roof (front and back) to fit tent and gazebo on top of van while travelling?

We have an Oztent and it’s very long.

Please and thank you

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Be cautious about too much weight on roof racks.
    But it is common to have one rack or bar racks either end for long items.

As an aside.
    Ensure your tyres are up to spec and pressure.
    ie....
    Tyres must be load rating of 94 or higher if LT and 97 if passenger construction without extra load rating.
    Stock pressures are (psi) 30F 38R
    If loaded or contain a fair bit of camp gear and especially top heavy then 30F to 44R.

I usualy run 34F and maintain an additional 4psi higher rear as a minimum balance difference for semi stock sized tyres on light loads as starting point.

Pays to have same tyres all round as well.
    And good shocks.

As you are sorting the vehicle keep in mind that they should handle and steer quite well.
    Don't accept garbage from people dismissing steering issues as being " normal".

oldman likes this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Probably worth checking the actual age of the tyres on your new acquisition as well. The DOT stamped on them will tell you the week, and year of manufacture.

David H and cbus like this.
  4. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Check your load rating sticker inside your front door;). I agree with 4 psi (or better like 8)between front & rear )front 36ps/ rear 40psi , 44psi if camper. Make sure your rubber can do this;).

Seems we finally agree about tyre presssures;) @cbus.
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Petra

Petra Member

7. Petra

Petra Member

I’m a fair way from being on the road yet just trying to get the layout planned bef Re she goes off to be painted

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

That is why we got a Blackwolf. We have the Turbo 2400.
    Goes up and down just as quickly, includes a fly and fits in the back of a Kombi.

Considering how much everything is, I would recommend changing tents.

oldman likes this.
  9. Petra

Petra Member

I’ll probably stick with what we have - god knows we paid enough for the tent...lol and we have a long vehicle so....it’s perfect

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

You will have to store it on roof racks and the trouble with that is you can start and finish a camp with a wet tent.
    Yes - I know we camp outside but very annoying turning up and having a wet tent or finishing a camp and getting rained on on the way home.

Also the Oztent gets very hot unless you shell more $$$$ for the fly. Another thing to store up on the roof.

See how it goes, but decent roof racks to fit over your pop top won’t be cheap and you would get a decent price for the Oztent.

oldman and Petra like this.
  11. Petra

Petra Member

hmmmm you make a good point