1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rust repair advice!!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by auschook, Jun 9, 2013.

1. auschook

auschook Member

I am planning on taking my beloved Frootloop to the panel beaters to get some of the rust (Cancer) out of her. She has a fair bit of rust and bog down sides and sills and usual places. As i am a poor single vulnerable female, i was wondering if some of you switched on guys out there in "Kombiland" could give me some advice - or just stuff i should be aware of. I am prepared to spend about $4000-$5000 max so one would think i should get quite a bit of work done for that??!! Apparently the panel beater charges only $55/hr. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers and thanx
    Jools & Frooty

2. Frank

Frank Active Member

Hi Auschook,

Maybe if you take some pics of the areas that are affected and post them here, we can then say roughly what to expect. In other words if we see the damage, we may be able to tell you what sort of work needs be done etc etc

3. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Ask your panel beater to document it, ie take photos of rust, rust cut out, new metal welded in and prep before paint, this makes sure it's not a bog job , and if you are close to his shop drop in each day

4. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Make sure they know your budget too, so they dont go over and end up charging more than you can afford...

5. auschook

auschook Member

Thanks for your advice. I will post some pics on here soon.

6. auschook

auschook Member

7. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Hey Julie,
    Good to hear the Ears arrived.
    The rust does not look to bad, I don't know how mant panel beaters are around your area but if it was me I would plan a day and drive Frooty around to as many as I could and ask them for a quote and what ever they come back with allow yourself $500 to $800 extra incase any hidden surprises pop up.

I know when I had Milly done and the pop top was removed I had a few holes in the roof about the size of 50c pieces where it was fixed to the roof that needed plates welded in it to repair ( which only ended up costing $200 extra) to the whole repair/respray.

Cheer's

Steve:);)

8. auschook

auschook Member

Thanks for that Steve, i will do that
    Jools

9. kombivan

kombivan New Member

auschook just so you know it is illegal for a repairer not to give a Quote in writing over $1000.00 of work and that the fair trading department has little - no duristriction over leans exercised by repairers so get your firm/fixed quote detailing all the work to be carried out to protect yourself when you hand over your keys to someone you don't know. If you have any trouble go straight to the fair trading department and lodge a compliant hopefully you won't have to go down this path I have had to many times. Where do you live this will help people in Kombiland know what area of kombilovers need to advise you of where to go. Ask around and when you hear of a repairer that uses weld through primer on repair work before they weld you are probably in a good place. If the panel beater is all smiles and says "we can help you" or somthing like that be weary. He is like a spider weaving his web. Another way to respray a car is to do it in sections but you need a good spray painter than can match your colour each time you come in I have been doing it this way to my red Kombi since 2006 I just keep on top of it section by section.

remember if you save money by taking it a fair distance for the work it can be worth it if the savings and quality is there.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  10. auschook

auschook Member

Hi Kombivan
    I live in a small town which only has a couple of panel beaters but just the one rust repairer (the one i am thinking of going to)
    I live about 40 mins from Rockhampton so if anyone knows of a panel beater up there please let me know.
    Thanks for that useful advice kombivan, i will search round a bit more.
    Cheers
    Jools and Frooty

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If the local guy has a reasonable reputation I would try him.
    Have a look at what he is already working on in his shop and the quality of finish and treatment of metal etc behind the welded sections.

even tho your rust looks minor it could be signicant if it has recently been bogged and painted.
    As such the rust could be minor or major.
    and again , as such you need to tread carefuly.
    Ask your proposed beater to talk you thru options and how he would tackle each scenario.

get a quote that includes, rnr , stripping affected area, removing rust, blasting if otherwise cleaning areas that are not being replaced, treating metal ,replacement parts and welding, surface prep, painting. rustproofing.

this quote will cover anticipated work required and he will likely cover himself a bit for some unexpected issues in the job.

any additional work that is discovered and necessary after panel is stripped and rust cut out will be an extra charge if not already on the quote.

this must be explained/shown to you before the additional work is commenced and your approval obtained. important.

the quote gives you 3 things. an idea of initial cost and a heads up of his charge rates plus a defined area of work included.

there are many dodgy operators who claim to be kombi 'restorers'who keep racking up the bill with unauthorised work. dont pay for unauthorised work and be clear in the first instance what is expected/authorised to avoid confusion on either side. have it clearly defined in writing and read it carefuly.

not suggesting your local bloke is anything like this but its a heads up.

talk to him. explain your concerns. if you are happy to try him then i would suggest obtaining a quote on a limited section . see how the process goes . continue if you are happy with the work and business relationship.

at least if things go belly up in the relationship you have limited any exposure to overcharging or unsatisfactory work .

also talk to prev customers. im sure he will be happy to provide some if his work is good.

being close you can observe the work in progress or have him photograph each stage .

not all beaters are bad ,but pick a good one who will take the time to talk you thru it and you can see his current work ,and talk to others who have had work done by him.

good luck
    col

12. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

If you can live with a few brown patches of metal, i'd just scrape the bubbled paint away, knock out all the flakey rusted metal, then apply fishoil. Done. Keep your money in the bank. . .

However,
    the rust under the flip out window is the worst part, it will be letting in water and running down the inside, taking rust with it.
    That would be my priority to get fixed professionally.

13. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

:cool:Hi Jules,

I empathise with your dilemma. I have just spent the equivalent of a new car simply on rust repairs to my precious. I have just read col/cbus message to you. All of the advice is good but Col sets out very succinctly the salient and important pieces of information. I am a fraud as I have not done any work at all, myself. What I have learnt, is this. There is likely to be unseen damage/cover ups to your lovely beast that will be uncovered. Also, rust appears a little like the proverbial iceberg, what you see is 10%. I knew my beast was a mobile oxide heap but was still shocked to find out just how accurate that description was. If I were female and presented as well as my posts on this forum do, I would plead poverty to my repairer and make clear you have only limited funds. As well as the rust repair, is the issue of fish oil/penetrol inside the hollow sections of your beautifully named beast. I agree with the advice, make yourself a pest in attending upon the premises regularly so your repair man knows you are keeping a close eye. Good repairs involve cutting and welding. A good check for bog, is a small magnet slid along the panels, particularly the lower sills. Keep in touch with col (c bus) as he has great expertise and enormously kindly disposition and is always willing to help fellow KC clubbers. I wish you the very best of luck JD in Adelaide.

14. auschook

auschook Member

Thanks guys for all your helpful advice. I am taking Frooty in to my local guy on Monday. He told me i was free to call into workshop every day and he said he always takes photos of every stage of his work.
    I will post pics and keep you updated on her progress.
    Thanks again
    Jools and Frooty

15. auschook

auschook Member

But is that going to get rid of the rust????
    I realise the window and sills are the worst part and i plan to get that sorted first.
    But fish oil?? If i put that on all rust areas i would smell like the local fish shop hahaha.

16. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

No, won't get rid of the rust, just stop it from swelling and bubbling more paint.

How much did you pay for her, plus, how many more dollars are you to invest in rust repairs?? If you sell her in a few years, will you get your money back?

Just giving you another angle to look at. . . Rust can be maintained, slowed, even stopped with-out spending BIG $$$$ on repairs.

Fish oil on the exterior of your kombi wont smell too much at all. . . You live near the ocean, it will blend in!!! lol.

BTW, kombis and sea air don't mix well, salt+oxygen+water= RUST.

If you really want to help your kombi, move to the country ;)

17. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I'm a mere female, not a switched on guy so I obviously cannot offer any advice :lol:

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

True. :p :lol:

19. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Hi Jools,

Firstly, thanks for being candid about where you purchased from. It's not just Kombi enthusiasts that need to contend with the dogdy operators, and good to have a forum such as this to find out about it. I kind of agree with some previous comments. If you can tolerate driving around with non-structural rust and primer for a while it will give Frooty time to reveal her/his other secrets and not cause too much financial grief. It is just hard to determine how much has been covered up by that stunning green paint (and I really do like that colour!).

Cheers, Paul

20. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Hahaha... me too but it's never stopped me before so here goes:

I was told "there is no rust in that Kombi and it's no worse than any other" when I bought mine.

However there not only is rust but a lot of bog as well. I have been told by my pannel beater that I should sell her and cut my losses but I love her so I wont.. when something big shows up that needs repairing we patch (with metal mainly). So I only spend a ew hundred dollars at a time. One day I will go back to bare metal and repaint the whole car.

One problem I have found is the more digging you do, the more bog shows up. I had a crash a while back and discovered about a half inch of bog on her nosse that I didn't know was there.... a big chunk fell off in the accident, and the rest took the guy over two hours to grind off... Then a tyre delaninated and bent a mudguard.... more bog....

4-5 grand sound like you should be able to get a fair bit of work done but Kombi's are notorious for hiding bigger problems undeerneith.... It also deopends on if you want it done propperly or more bog??

Fish oil does stink.... but only for a few weeks then the smell disapears.

God luck finding an honest repairer.

Abby.75