1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rust treatment

Discussion in 'Body' started by coastlaw, Aug 14, 2011.

1. coastlaw

coastlaw Member

hey all, im looking for some product advice for the under side of my sc .
    it has surface rust every where and I was looking for a product that i can spay every thing with that will at least leave it in an under coat stage. it will be a couple years before it gets the full resto and a blasting..

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Rust bullet or por15.
    Or one of the other rust prevention paints on the market. They aparently soak into the rust on the first coat then the second coat fills the bubbles.

3. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I have used both on two differant vans, both work well but you have to follow the instruction to the letter.
    Dave

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and use ventilation or a good mask. Nasty stuff after and hour.

I just remembered, I was recommended 'Valvoline Tectyle' by a sydney restoration bussiness.
    I have never used it but apparently it works the same for 10% of the cost.

5. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Just remember once you use POR or Rustbullet, it ain't coming of with a quick shot blast, it's on for good.
    Dave

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I'd rather rust bullet than rust.

7. Friedo

Friedo Member

Hi
    I have used POR 15 for a number of applications but have recently been using LIC (Light Industrial Coating) with good results and a third of the price. Available at good automotive finish type places.

Mark

8. coastlaw

coastlaw Member

well I guess if i go with POR15 on the underside and its still mickey mouse when it comes to the big strip down, it wont need to be blasted under there....

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

It would be worth drilling some holes in the back of you sills as well, maybe 10mm would do, then spray por15 inside, you would need to spray a bit of it because it is fairly thick. But what it covers would be worth it. Then once dry spray with fish oil to get what you missed.
    Then plug the holes with rubber grommets and fish oil once a year.

Anyone see any issues with this advice? Makes sence to me but I make things up as I go.

10. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

My preference would be paint on a thin layer of fish oil.

It is a clear coat, so in the future, bad areas won't be out of sight, growing worse. Drilling holes is a good idea too get to hard to reach places.

11. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

I've used POR15 on the chassis and it's wonderful stuff, but if you're planning on a full tear down resto in the next few years, I wouldn't bother at this stage. It's expensive stuff and, as Dave said, worth doing properly. If you're just looking for a temporary measure, I'd rub back the surface rust and brush coat it with one of the rust-preventative waxes like the previously mentioned Tectyl 506 or Ankor wax (or many others). Or POR also makes a clear, hard drying chemical fish oil called, ummmm, dammit, I've forgotten. I've used it in my sills and other cavities. That's not much help, is it? Sorry.

12. coastlaw

coastlaw Member

yes ive looked at the POR15 clear as well, its the whole under side of my SC and nooks and crannies wont be reached by hand, the heater channel will be comming out cause it wont be needed for a long time, so that will free up some hard to area..