1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saab Seats

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Apr 26, 2017.

1. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Anyone done the Saab seat mod?
    Recently saw a van in a magazine a while back, fitted out with a set. I eventually worked out they were Saab 900 Seats, as today I stumbled accidentally across another article talking about this install.
    They look comfortable and are available in leather.
    Good replacement? Easy fit? Please discuss....
    Cheers

2. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Hmm, had a few Saab's.. and yes really comfortable seats. what type of Kombi are you saying they fit?

3. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I was browsing Just Kampers website. I happened to be looking at the swivel seat plates and just seemed to keep reading down into the comments section and found this.(Quote)
    • Matt said:18/07/10 10:14 PM
    • Hi, I have a 1976 (Ozzy) bay. I want to fit Saab 900 or 9000 seats (which, I am told fit straight onto the standard VW runners and are OK seats so long as you're around 6ft tall). So, would there be a problem with fitting the Saab seats to the (passenger only) swivel plate?
    • Answer:If they do genuinely fit straigh onto the original runners then the only issue you should face is that the swivel base raises the seat by around 1/2 an inch
    • Do you find this question helpful? Yes No
    But prior to this I read an old Volkswagen world camper magazine and as shown below the Saab seats are fitted into a T3. I didn't know they were Saab seats until I stumbled across the info on J.K website and then googled on from there. I'll scan the magazine pages and post them up.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  4. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

5. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

6. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Syncro27, David H and Luckyphil like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

8. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Anyone have a link to the actual mod in progress, or instructions e.c.t to generally just check it out?
    Cheers Barry for your link. I've briefly read it and it mentions leg room under the wheel is more narrow. In my pic the guy has added power steering and looks like a smaller VW Golf steering wheel. This would regain the loss by the sounds of it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

10. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

They look kinda high.. the Saab Seats that is. As you say beastieboy the smaller steering wheel is showing the Saab seat have a higher/thicker base but look a better option than my efforts to try and fit Amarok seats to my T3. ( my head was resting on the roof.. and the tracks were to wide)

11. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Thought the same actually...

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Second the :( roof lining but agree the rest is:D.
    Cheers

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow that looks very comfy.
    Like driving a lounge chair around :D

14. Leighton

Leighton Member

Is it a bench seat in the crew cab? I have been looking at fitting a rear seat like that in my Dc is it also out of the Sabb? any more photo's

15. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Think that's the back seats from the Saab...
    Not 100% sure on the legalities of the steering wheel mod in my state but think that's an easy pickup for highway patrol here. However, I think maybe (and bonus) if the airbag was working on the steering wheel, I can't see them having an argument. So you fitted an aftermarket airbag? That should get bonus points surely! ;) But this area I'm unsure of, as much as I'd like a T3 to have airbags.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    David H likes this.
  16. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

No need for air bags "Die like a man" :)

David H and beastieboy like this.
  17. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

If the windscreen holds up, it would be easy for the fire brigade to just hose the remains off it I guess.

18. Leighton

Leighton Member

In the front of the Crew Cab is it a fold down bench/dickie seat? any more pictures of this DC?

19. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Been thru a 76 Kombi screen. Thought I was going thru it but it was actually coming back thru my position:( snug in my seat belt:). Poles penetrate! 'Air bag' was my exhale "oh s**t" which emptied the 'air bag' before it was needed.
    Cheers

20. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

When I get back to the scanner I'll copy off the whole article for you later today. I think it's not a bench seat in the front but maybe some kind of fold down setup in the centre. This van is located in the U.K.